Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

71 Freeway Upgrade (Pomona) Likely to start in mid-2020

<< < (2/3) > >>

theroadwayone:

--- Quote from: dbz77 on January 21, 2020, 09:19:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: djsekani on January 21, 2020, 07:54:04 PM ---As much as people like to bring up induced demand, this is a project that definitely needed to happen; CA-71 was effectively a choke point between I-10 and CA-60.

The interesting part is that the ROW acquisition was mostly on the west side, which is where the relatively more expensive homes are. I guess those RIRO intersections (nearly useless in heavy traffic anyway) will be gone as well.

--- End quote ---
I was fortunate to have been able to drive through the intersection with Miasion when there was a stoplight there.

I am.wondering this though.

This route had been intended to be a feeway since 1950. I wonder why it took nearly sixty years to build the Miasion Bl interchange.

--- End quote ---
Where do you think the road even is?

The Ghostbuster:
What modifications are going to be made to the three at-grade intersections that presently exist? Will Old Pomona Rd., N. Ranch Rd. and W. Phillips Dr. all be cul-de-saced? Or will they be connected with surrounding streets while CA 71 passes over or under them?

sparker:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 22, 2020, 06:47:22 PM ---What modifications are going to be made to the three at-grade intersections that presently exist? Will Old Pomona Rd., N. Ranch Rd. and W. Phillips Dr. all be cul-de-saced? Or will they be connected with surrounding streets while CA 71 passes over or under them?

--- End quote ---

Since the Mission Blvd. interchange was complete, it looks like all those intersections have been converted to RIRO's; there's no current break(s) in the center divider.  Haven't seen current conversion plans and whether interim access between Rio Rancho/CA 60 and Mission will even exist; if anyone has access to such plans, please post them or otherwise enlighten all of us!  It doesn't look like any interchanges would be possible along the stretch in question without considerable property taking (something Caltrans assiduously avoids these days if at all possible!).  Since there never seemed to be a locally-desired need for connection between the older parts of the city to the east and the newer development west of CA 71, it just may be that a simple frontage road (probably necessitating a narrow median) or just cul-de-sacs would suffice. 

skluth:

--- Quote from: djsekani on January 21, 2020, 07:54:04 PM ---As much as people like to bring up induced demand, this is a project that definitely needed to happen; CA-71 was effectively a choke point between I-10 and CA-60.

The interesting part is that the ROW acquisition was mostly on the west side, which is where the relatively more expensive homes are. I guess those RIRO intersections (nearly useless in heavy traffic anyway) will be gone as well.

--- End quote ---

I can't see much environmental group resistance on this. The highway is already there and needs to be squeezed into a built-up area. They have far more important issues to concern them than a busier highway through an upper middle-class community (like the High Desert Freeway  :-/ :rolleyes: ) . I think local NIMBYs worried about loss of their homes, added noise, and local RIRO access is more likely to interfere with any CA 71 upgrades.

fungus:
The right in right outs are going to be eliminated. The residents next to the freeway did not want a frontage road and so there will not be one, so those living on Phillips, Old Pomona, and North Ranch get to be in a cul de sac. The full takes occurred with the interchange at Mission Boulevard and there might be one full take for the future 9th Street bridge, and the backyards of some of the homes in the Phillips Drive section, otherwise it can fit in existing right of way.

http://www.ci.pomona.ca.us/mm/pubwrks/pdf/sr71/SR71_Council_Report.pdf

https://pomona.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=3872873&GUID=34A6B80C-617F-4285-92C8-53662949CC9F&Options=ID|Text|Attachments|&Search=%22state+route+71%22

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version