News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Alabama: Rising Seas Threaten US 90/98 Mobile Bay Crossing

Started by Brian556, December 29, 2019, 08:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Max Rockatansky

Wasn't the shallow grade of US 90/98 over the water the reason I-10 was built on a viaduct structure long ago?  I can say from personal pbservations that US 90/98 has been like that for at least since the 1980s.

sprjus4

Brian556

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2019, 08:54:31 PM
Wasn't the shallow grade of US 90/98 over the water the reason I-10 was built on a viaduct structure long ago?  I can say from personal pbservations that US 90/98 has been like that for at least since the 1980s.

It seems crazy to me that they would build the highway that close to water level. According to sealevelrise.org, seas around Alabama have risen up to 11" since 1966, and that this is mostly due to subsidence. The standing water that is not draining is a tell-tale sign that the water level is higher than when the roadway was built

Max Rockatansky

Wasn't Battleship Parkway built in the 1920s?  Back in that era paved highways were just becoming a regular thing.  I would imagine had it been built even three-four decades later the standards would have been infinitely higher.

Beltway

Has USGS changed the published vertical navigational clearances on this bridge?

Small craft helmsmen need to be advised.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Brian556

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2019, 09:28:49 PM
Wasn't Battleship Parkway built in the 1920s?  Back in that era paved highways were just becoming a regular thing.  I would imagine had it been built even three-four decades later the standards would have been infinitely higher.

I don't know. I don't have much knowledge of Alabama roads. Historic Aerials shows it being a two-lane road in 1952, upgraded to four-lane by 1967. To me, it would have been logical to raise the roadway when it was widened

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.