News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Saratoga Springs, NY dinner - March 6, 2020

Started by froggie, February 02, 2020, 10:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

As I've done in past years, looking at the possibility of a "roadgeek dinner" in Saratoga Springs, NY at the beginning of my annual weather conference.  Location TBD, but it would be Friday, 3/6 and probably starting at 7pm.  I've received interest from at least one person via PM, but realized I hadn't put the idea of dinner out here yet.  Hopefully it's not too late for a few folks to join in.

Dougtone

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Tentatively interested, but since I'm flying to the UK the following day, I might be occupied with other tasks.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

baugh17

I should be able to come out.  Let me double check my work calendar.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

baugh17

Quote from: baugh17 on February 08, 2020, 12:02:13 AM
I should be able to come out.  Let me double check my work calendar.

I got approved for a half day on the 6th so I'll be there, weather permitting (Probably get some photos and clinching in too beforehand, weather permitting).

Dougtone

Now does anyone have any suggestions on where to dine?

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on February 17, 2020, 03:57:24 PM
Now does anyone have any suggestions on where to dine?
That place with the nice dessert. Olde Bryan Inn?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on February 17, 2020, 07:28:34 PM
McDonald's
For some reason, you didn't agree when I suggested adding McD to the Niagara Falls area as a quality eatery! Now you get the concept!
Anyway, https://duo-japanese.com/ is just about 500 feet from Saratoga McD...
(upd): I had a pretty good experience with Great Tang's as well.

PS - I will be on "maybe..." list till the last second

vdeane

People seemed to like the Three Vines Bistro last year, so that's an option too.

The important question here is probably "is the conference at the same place as last year, and what's froggie's range?"
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Yes, conference is where it's been the past several years (Holiday Inn).  And I would far prefer to have something within walking range.

kalvado

Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2020, 07:21:29 AM
Yes, conference is where it's been the past several years (Holiday Inn).  And I would far prefer to have something within walking range.
Just because I am still not awake... From Holiday Inn Saratoga:
Olde Bryan Inn: 0.9 mi/19 min walk
Great Tang: 0.6mi/12 min
Three vine: 0.4 mi/7 min
Duo Japanese: 0.3 mi/7 min
And, to hve a full list,
McDonalds:  0.2 mi/5 min

Alps

froggie

In part because we have an acute lack of such places in the NEK, my preference is Duo.

Dougtone

Quote from: froggie on February 28, 2020, 10:44:40 PM
In part because we have an acute lack of such places in the NEK, my preference is Duo.

I've been combing the suggested locations and menus. Duo works. Same plaza where Three Vines is located, so there's parking.

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on February 28, 2020, 10:56:02 PM

I've been combing the suggested locations and menus. Duo works. Same plaza where Three Vines is located, so there's parking.
I might have to try hibachi.

kalvado

Quote from: Alps on February 29, 2020, 02:52:19 AM

Hibachi is for everyone or noone in a party, doesn't work otherwise. Besides, Duo isn't really a hibachi place, I don't even remember hibachi tables.
Just throwing idea on a table... There is a very decent hibachi place on exit 9, next to price chopper. Nowhere near walking distance for @froggie, more like 20 min drive. But I, for one, took my out of area guests over there more than once.

baugh17

Quote from: kalvado on February 29, 2020, 04:14:45 AM

Hibachi is for everyone or noone in a party, doesn't work otherwise. Besides, Duo isn't really a hibachi place, I don't even remember hibachi tables.
Just throwing idea on a table... There is a very decent hibachi place on exit 9, next to price chopper. Nowhere near walking distance for @froggie, more like 20 min drive. But I, for one, took my out of area guests over there more than once.

I'm generally not a huge fan of Asian food, but I am willing to make a sacrifice for the opportunity to socialize.

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on February 29, 2020, 04:14:45 AM

Hibachi for one is the loneliest meal.

Duke87

I suppose I should state my intention to attend here.

Google is showing Duo as being on Broadway in a standalone building, not in the same strip mall as Three Vines. Is Google incorrect?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kalvado

Quote from: Duke87 on February 29, 2020, 07:25:27 PM
I suppose I should state my intention to attend here.

Google is showing Duo as being on Broadway in a standalone building, not in the same strip mall as Three Vines. Is Google incorrect?
Google is definitely right. Duo is standalone one, with parking behind the building.

vdeane

I think Doug might have been thinking of the Kinjo Japanese Steak House.

I'm not one for Japanese or sushi, but the menu has General Tso's Chicken in the kitchen entrees, so I can probably do that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.