News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you have or recall your first road photo, hand-drawn map or road scene?

Started by hockeyjohn, April 14, 2020, 10:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on May 04, 2020, 06:35:44 PM

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49856741806_ba5289dfe1_k.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49856205933_28f765e14e_k.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49856203858_425f5b9572_k.jpg[/img]

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on May 04, 2020, 08:06:09 PM
Also can you all see the last three images I posted (US-12, US-281, and I-29 shields)? I can't see them but I embedded the links in BBCode and I have a feeling others can see them and theyre just not showing up for me.

No, I can't see them.  When I copy and paste the URLs in your post, my browser says "file not found".  I don't see anything wrong with the URLs you used, so I'm not sure what went wrong.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ben114

Even though it's not my first ever one, it's one of the only two drawings I have scanned. This one is a redesign of the I-95 / I-93 junction in Canton, MA.

(if you really care, the date on it says 2/14/19)

SoDakInterstateEnthusiast

Could it be because I made the images pivate on F
Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2020, 08:57:57 PM
Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on May 04, 2020, 06:35:44 PM

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49856741806_ba5289dfe1_k.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49856205933_28f765e14e_k.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49856203858_425f5b9572_k.jpg[/img]

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on May 04, 2020, 08:06:09 PM
Also can you all see the last three images I posted (US-12, US-281, and I-29 shields)? I can't see them but I embedded the links in BBCode and I have a feeling others can see them and theyre just not showing up for me.

No, I can't see them.  When I copy and paste the URLs in your post, my browser says "file not found".  I don't see anything wrong with the URLs you used, so I'm not sure what went wrong.
Could it be because I set the photos to private on Flickr after I got their BBCode urls? I didn't want a bunch of random people on Flickr getting a rough estimate of where I lived because of the route signs I posted. By the time I set them back to private, 5 random people had already seen them!

I'll try again - if it doesn't work, I'm going to set them public.
"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

kphoger

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on May 05, 2020, 10:44:25 AM
Could it be because I set the photos to private on Flickr after I got their BBCode urls?

Absolutely, that's the problem, but not for the reason you think.  When you changed the Viewing privacy from Public to Private, you should have gotten the following pop-up warning:

"Changing a photo to a stricter privacy level will remove any favorites that have accumulated. It will also change the URL of the photo."

This means that the URLs you pasted into your thread post are no longer valid.  So all you need to do is either edit your old post or create a new post and paste in the updated URLs for those images, and we should be able to see them just fine.

I have tested this out with my own photos by setting one of them to Private, and both of them are still visible.  I just made sure to grab the one's URL after setting it to Private, not before.

The photo below is set to Viewing privacy = Public:

The photo below is set to Viewing privacy = Private:

(I hadn't used my flickr account in so long that I had to re-activate two e-mail accounts just to log in–one to get the login credentials for flickr, and the other one to get the login credentials for that e-mail account!)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikeTheActuary

One of my earliest memories would have been from when I was about 3 or so, when I tried to recreate the east end of I-72, complete with BGSs, to "drive" my matchbox cars through.

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2020, 12:28:15 PM
Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on May 05, 2020, 10:44:25 AM
Could it be because I set the photos to private on Flickr after I got their BBCode urls?

Absolutely, that's the problem, but not for the reason you think.  When you changed the Viewing privacy from Public to Private, you should have gotten the following pop-up warning:

"Changing a photo to a stricter privacy level will remove any favorites that have accumulated. It will also change the URL of the photo."

Yeah, well, I did not get that. Flickr did me dirty.  :pan:
"Please like, comment, and share on MySpace, not your space, you freak of nature"

Aahh, ok, I think I might have gotten it to work....

The I-29 sign I made when I was young, really not as bad as it looks, just got crumpled a bit in my closet.

The US-281 sign I made, which looking back I realize the dimensions are wrong. I made it 3:2 instead of 2.5:2

This is a US-12 sign I made. This one I'm actually still really proud of because it just looks really good, imo.

kphoger

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on May 04, 2020, 06:20:33 PM
Here we go. SD-45 Shield I drew I don't know when, but I was definitely younger.

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on May 05, 2020, 06:46:09 PM
The I-29 sign I made when I was young, really not as bad as it looks, just got crumpled a bit in my closet.

I think you're being kind of hard on yourself for what are, IMHO, excellent drawings!
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SoDakInterstateEnthusiast on May 05, 2020, 06:46:09 PM
Aahh, ok, I think I might have gotten it to work....

The US-281 sign I made, which looking back I realize the dimensions are wrong. I made it 3:2 instead of 2.5:2

This is a US-12 sign I made. This one I'm actually still really proud of because it just looks really good, imo.

Wow! I can't draw, so if I tried, it would look like a 5 year old drew it. Impressive!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

I suck so much at drawing. I've had to draw a couple of things for classes during online school and I just used MS Paint.

Before all the cement in my yard was ripped up, I drew many roads, signs, and buildings using Crayola Sidewalk Chalk. I have to have a picture of one of the drawings I made when I was five or so somewhere.

When it comes to actual road photos, virtually all my photos I took prior to 2018 have gone missing or were carelessly deleted (my own personal Library of Alexandria). A few MoDOT mile marker errors and button-copy signs in Seattle before the viaduct was destroyed were the only notable road pictures I had prior to that point. Now, I'm taking garbage photos of road signs from the backseat of the car (I still don't have my license due to COVID 19). Lots of window glare and blurry shots, unfortunately.

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2020, 07:08:31 PM
I think you're being kind of hard on yourself for what are, IMHO, excellent drawings!

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2020, 07:15:43 PM
Wow! I can't draw, so if I tried, it would look like a 5 year old drew it. Impressive!

Wow, thanks guys! Wasn't expecting that.  :-P

M3100

Here is an early road photo from summer 1975.  CA 49 Andreas, CA.  This was taken with '110' film, which disappeared years ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.