Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

CA 103 (Terminal Island Freeway) - still signed north of CA 1 (PCH)

<< < (2/2)

RZF:
Today I decided to clinch CA-103. I always knew of it as a freeway for all of its length, but it's never a freeway that gains notoriety for anything. And frankly, I saw why first hand. The route seems to be in rough shape, with the asphalt (also not typical of a freeway) in desperate need for a repave. One would think that with all of the large truck traffic that CalTrans would make an effort to make the road as smooth as possible. Also, the exits did not have any exit numbers. All of this paled in comparison to neighboring CA-47, which is well signed and is a very smooth ride. Any thoughts on this?

Occidental Tourist:

--- Quote from: RZF on July 14, 2021, 11:55:52 PM ---Today I decided to clinch CA-103. I always knew of it as a freeway for all of its length, but it's never a freeway that gains notoriety for anything. And frankly, I saw why first hand. The route seems to be in rough shape, with the asphalt (also not typical of a freeway) in desperate need for a repave. One would think that with all of the large truck traffic that CalTrans would make an effort to make the road as smooth as possible. Also, the exits did not have any exit numbers. All of this paled in comparison to neighboring CA-47, which is well signed and is a very smooth ride. Any thoughts on this?

--- End quote ---

It gained notoriety for being featured in several movies, including the infamous freeway chase scene in To Live And Die In LA, where, for some unexplained reason, they ran the cars on the opposite sides of the freeway.  More recently it was in Being John Malkovich (as the New Jersey Turnpike) and The Island.

Along with the 710 stub in Alhambra and the freeway portion of Shoreline Drive in Long Beach, the Terminal Island Freeway seems to be a favorite location for film, TV, and advertising shoots where a freeway is part of the scene.

mrsman:
^^^^^

Given its location, its an "orphan" freeway, so closing it would not have repercussions on the rest of the freeway system.  So it is used for filiming and probably can substitute for a road scene on any freeway in the country.

ClassicHasClass:
CA 47 plays that role as well, right next door (Terminator 2, Inception, ...).  :popcorn:

DTComposer:

--- Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 15, 2021, 01:08:54 AM ---the freeway portion of Shoreline Drive in Long Beach, the Terminal Island Freeway seems to be a favorite location for film, TV, and advertising shoots where a freeway is part of the scene.

--- End quote ---

Having lived on Ocean Boulevard for 8 years and using Shoreline as my main access to I-710, I can attest that Shoreline was closed down at least a couple times a month for filming. (it's also a portion of the track for the Long Beach Grand Prix)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version