AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The I-65/70 North Split Reconstruction  (Read 5032 times)

silverback1065

• Last Login: Today at 10:39:51 AM
Re: The I-65/70 North Split Reconstruction
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2021, 09:11:01 PM »

As predicted I've had to take 70 and 65 through town every morning coming home from work from Rockville Road to the Greenwood area. The blue travel time sign at Sam Jones Expressway said the other day it was a 35 minute drive from I-70 to I-65. No thank you At least I can take 465 in the evenings. I thought that the official I-65 detour using 65 and 70 was kind of dumb but I'll take that back. It's far from the worst idea INDOT's ever had. There are times of the day when that routing is very tempting.

I know the North Split does need to be done because of the old bridges and pavement and waiting any longer is probably not an option. But I kind of wonder if we should have done all the I-465 widening and I-69 interchange on the south side stuff first to make that highway a little better prepared for this. 18 MONTHS of this stuff is going to get old very fast. It might as well be an eternity.
I'm surprised people haven't realized you can do all the same movements using west st instead of the north split. It's actually very easy to do now with through traffic gone. Also north split had to happen now. Some of the bridges would not have lasted another year. That road was in VERY BAD shape.

Pixel 5
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:51:59 PM by silverback1065 »

silverback1065

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2021, 09:46:03 PM »

This also teaches the freeway teardown people of what would happen if their poor ideas came to fruition.

Pixel 5

ysuindy

• Last Login: July 22, 2021, 10:11:48 PM
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2021, 10:49:30 PM »

Iíve been back in the office for five weeks now. I park on Maryland across from the Convention Center and my normal route for years from Fishers has been to take 70 around to Missouri and come up past the stadiums to Maryland. This week Iíve taken 70 to 65 to the Meridian exit over to Capitol and down to enter my garage off Capitol. It has actually been quicker because there is minimal traffic on Capitol with most downtown employees (including state employees) not yet back in the office

Tonight instead of heading up Illinois to head for home I stayed on Maryland to go get on 70 from the Pine Street ramp. Total cluster over there. Everything was jammed from the people staying on 70 and taking the collector distributor to Ohio Street. Park Avenue was filled with people trying to get down to Washington to hop back on 70.

I could not believe how many semis I saw in that traffic. They could not all have been making downtown deliveries at 6 pm.

I wonder what my commute will be like once the downtown workers return but for now it hasnít been bad. But Iím not getting anywhere near the east side of downtown for a long time

FixThe74Sign

• Last Login: July 06, 2021, 11:31:26 PM
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2021, 11:26:53 PM »

My office is in the Ohio - East - Washington circle of death. The amount of NOT LOCAL semi traffic roaming around downtown is insane right now.

silverback1065

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2021, 11:26:55 PM »

Iíve been back in the office for five weeks now. I park on Maryland across from the Convention Center and my normal route for years from Fishers has been to take 70 around to Missouri and come up past the stadiums to Maryland. This week Iíve taken 70 to 65 to the Meridian exit over to Capitol and down to enter my garage off Capitol. It has actually been quicker because there is minimal traffic on Capitol with most downtown employees (including state employees) not yet back in the office

Tonight instead of heading up Illinois to head for home I stayed on Maryland to go get on 70 from the Pine Street ramp. Total cluster over there. Everything was jammed from the people staying on 70 and taking the collector distributor to Ohio Street. Park Avenue was filled with people trying to get down to Washington to hop back on 70.

I could not believe how many semis I saw in that traffic. They could not all have been making downtown deliveries at 6 pm.

I wonder what my commute will be like once the downtown workers return but for now it hasnít been bad. But Iím not getting anywhere near the east side of downtown for a long time
Ohio St closes next month then all that traffic will move up to Michigan st. Anyone remember how hyper fix affected traffic?

Pixel 5

cabiness42

• Last Login: Today at 02:31:42 PM
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2021, 04:12:59 PM »

Drove through Indy on both Sunday and Saturday of this past week to drop off/pick up our dog at my in-laws while on vacation. Normally we would take 65 straight through the city to Southport Rd. Of course we had to use 465 around the west and south sides, and both times traffic was pretty heavy for a weekend.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.