News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-65 Improvements in Tennessee

Started by I-39, August 07, 2020, 08:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

This is a thread to discuss and keep track of all the improvements (big and small) to I-65 in Tennessee. Given the growth in Middle Tennessee region, there are a fair amount of projects that are being planned and/or will need to be done along the corridor the coming decades. Eventually, the entire corridor from Kentucky to Alabama may need to be a minimum of six lanes similar to Kentucky, but that is still a bit off.

Some projects that will be needed on I-65 within the next 10-15 years are as follows:

1. Widening to six lanes between Goodlettsville and the state line (proposed, but nothing concrete)

2. Rebuilding and possibly widening/reconfiguring some parts of the loop in downtown Nashville (I haven't seen any proposals on this, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place)

3. Rebuilding/reconfiguring the Moores Lane interchange in Franklin/Cool Springs (on the IMPROVE Act list, but I haven't seen any info on this)

4. Rebuilding/reconfiguring the SR 96 interchange in Franklin (utterly beyond shocked there isn't even a study on this, this interchange is horrible)

5. Widening to eight lanes between I-840 and SR 396 (in the Williamson County long range plans, but nothing concrete from TDOT yet, which is surprising given the major bottleneck that exists in this stretch of I-65) 

6. Building the Buckner Road interchange in Spring Hill (will be done by 2024)

7. Building an interchange at Kedron Road on the south side of Spring Hill (proposed by Spring Hill, but nothing serious yet).

8. Rebuilding/reconfiguring the US 412/Bear Creek Pike interchange east of Columbia (Is this underway yet? This has been on the docket for some time)

Anything else that I missed? Does anyone have information on the projects above?

Tomahawkin

I totally agree. IH 65 is a major corridor from the midwest in route to Florida. I'm sure the summer weekend traffic is crazy. I would opine that IH 24 be made 6 lanes statewide as well. It needs major improvements in Chattlanta (Chattanooga)

wriddle082

I wouldn't think an additional lane south of TN 396 or US 412 would be needed at this time.  That stretch of 65 south of that area has been pretty sleepy for as long as I can remember.

One way to fix Nashville's Downtown Loop that I feel should be considered is possibly turning it into one giant roundabout.  Would most likely not require any new ROW.

I-55

Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 08, 2020, 11:50:45 AM
I totally agree. IH 65 is a major corridor from the midwest in route to Florida. I'm sure the summer weekend traffic is crazy. I would opine that IH 24 be made 6 lanes statewide as well. It needs major improvements in Chattlanta (Chattanooga)

My college application essay was how I would fix Chattanooga's traffic. For a city its size (180k), it sure has more traffic than it should. I argued that the only solution would be a new terrain route in Georgia between I-59 and I-75 due to ROW constraints on I-24 (can't fit anything between railroad tracks and a river) effectively following GA-2 and/or GA-146. You could also make (fictional) an I-875 from Dalton to Cleveland to alleviate I-75, but I-24 is the big problem since almost all thru traffic uses it.

South of the Saturn Parkway I don't see much need for anything on I-65 as I've never had any problems between Columbia and Ardmore. I've long advocated for I-65 to be 6 lanes from Nashville to Chicago, starting with Goodlettsville to Franklin, KY.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

I-39

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 08, 2020, 11:15:43 PM
I wouldn't think an additional lane south of TN 396 or US 412 would be needed at this time.  That stretch of 65 south of that area has been pretty sleepy for as long as I can remember.

I do think I-65 will need to be six laned from TN 396 to US 412 eventually, it can be busy on certain days. However, it's not as big of a priority.

The two biggest needs are widening from Goodlettsville to the state line and from I-840 to TN 396. The latter is going to get even worse with the Buckner Road interchange going in, I'm baffled it is not on TDOT's radar.

I-55

Quote from: I-39 on August 09, 2020, 08:11:42 AM

I do think I-65 will need to be six laned from TN 396 to US 412 eventually, it can be busy on certain days. However, it's not as big of a priority.

The two biggest needs are widening from Goodlettsville to the state line and from I-840 to TN 396. The latter is going to get even worse with the Buckner Road interchange going in, I'm baffled it is not on TDOT's radar.

If Steve Beshear were the governor of Tennessee it would be done by now.

What I-65 (and the rest of Nashville) needs are a complete redesign of the freeway junctions in downtown. On the I-65/I-40 concurrency, both directions (NB and SB) merge onto I-40 from the left hand side and exit from the right hand side, giving less than two miles to weave (and no one takes 65 south to 40 east, that's what 24 and Briley are for). The I-65/I-24 concurrency is the same way, I-65 enters the concurrency on the left hand side and has only about two miles to weave across I-24. The northbound merge backs up almost daily and I often find myself taking Ellington Parkway. Between the two concurrencies, I-65 enters its own route northbound from the right and exits into the I-24 concurrency on the left, southbound it enters and exits on the right (and I've never had a problem in that direction, imagine that). Similar situations exist for 40 and 24. If the interchanges can be rebuilt to reduce the weaving I think traffic in Nashville will greatly improve, it'll still exist and be heavy, but will improve nevertheless. Width on Nashville's interstates is not a problem at all, it is 100% in the design, dating back to the original designs that did not expect the growth of the area to be what it is now, a problem realized only in retrospect.

TL;DR: Rebuild interchanges to reduce weaving on concurrencies

I-39

Quote from: I-55 on August 09, 2020, 10:45:48 AM
Quote from: I-39 on August 09, 2020, 08:11:42 AM

If Steve Beshear were the governor of Tennessee it would be done by now.

What I-65 (and the rest of Nashville) needs are a complete redesign of the freeway junctions in downtown. On the I-65/I-40 concurrency, both directions (NB and SB) merge onto I-40 from the left hand side and exit from the right hand side, giving less than two miles to weave (and no one takes 65 south to 40 east, that's what 24 and Briley are for). The I-65/I-24 concurrency is the same way, I-65 enters the concurrency on the left hand side and has only about two miles to weave across I-24. The northbound merge backs up almost daily and I often find myself taking Ellington Parkway. Between the two concurrencies, I-65 enters its own route northbound from the right and exits into the I-24 concurrency on the left, southbound it enters and exits on the right (and I've never had a problem in that direction, imagine that). Similar situations exist for 40 and 24. If the interchanges can be rebuilt to reduce the weaving I think traffic in Nashville will greatly improve, it'll still exist and be heavy, but will improve nevertheless. Width on Nashville's interstates is not a problem at all, it is 100% in the design, dating back to the original designs that did not expect the growth of the area to be what it is now, a problem realized only in retrospect.

TL;DR: Rebuild interchanges to reduce weaving on concurrencies

Yes, redesigning the interchanges to modern standards would help, but as with anything downtown, it will cause a lot of headaches reconstructing it. Just look at the recent I-440 work.

But the most urgent need is six lanes from Goodlettsville to Kentucky and eight lanes from I-840 to Saturn Parkway. I'm utterly surprised TDOT didn't include either in the IMPROVE Act (which didn't go far enough IMO).

codyg1985

I agree with others on this thread that I-65 need six lanes minimum between Goodlettsville and Kentucky. TDOT has long range plans to make the widening occur, but it seems like it is taking a long time.

I also agree with widening from TN 396 to I-840. It should probably go further south to US 412. I’d also like to see truck climbing lanes on I-65 both NB and SB near Lewisburg north of Exit 27.

Also agree that the TN 96 interchange needs help. A diverging diamond seems like a good fit here. 

A new interchange is going to built along I-65 between TN 396 and I-840 at an extended Buckner Road.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

ARMOURERERIC

Nashville could be a location where having one 6 lane one way counter clockwise loop could work for the freeway.

I-55

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 19, 2020, 07:41:28 PM
Nashville could be a location where having one 6 lane one way counter clockwise loop could work for the freeway.

Would this coincide with NB I-65 going up Ellington Pky? This is one of the more reasonable proposals I've heard all day. The Interstate Roundabout.

formulanone

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 19, 2020, 07:32:14 PM
I also agree with widening from TN 396 to I-840. It should probably go further south to US 412. I'd also like to see truck climbing lanes on I-65 both NB and SB near Lewisburg north of Exit 27.

Southbound I-65 at I-840 goes from 3 through lanes with an additional ramp lane from 840, down to two lanes very quickly. It's a terrible bottleneck during evening rush hours.

I-55

If you're not convinced that I-65 should be 6 lanes north of Nashville, Google Maps should be enough to convince you. The iconic straightaway before the 8 lane begins has backups on both satellite AND streetview. The satellite backup was crash caused a little further north but still, something's gotta be done.

And don't even start me on spring break traffic.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 19, 2020, 07:41:28 PM
Does anything like that exist in North America?

I-39

Quote from: formulanone on October 19, 2020, 09:37:15 PM
I also agree with widening from TN 396 to I-840. It should probably go further south to US 412. I'd also like to see truck climbing lanes on I-65 both NB and SB near Lewisburg north of Exit 27.

Southbound I-65 at I-840 goes from 3 through lanes with an additional ramp lane from 840, down to two lanes very quickly. It's a terrible bottleneck during evening rush hours.

Yes, and US 31 to the west is just as bad during rush hour, so it's pick your poison if your returning to Spring Hill from the north.

I'm truly amazed at how Spring Hill has grown so much and yet, TDOT has largely neglected it when it comes to road improvements. So many corridors that need upgrades, but little to no progress.

hbelkins

Quote from: I-39 on October 20, 2020, 08:22:29 AM

I figured Spring Hill would be a ghost town after the Saturn plant closed.

Yes, and US 31 to the west is just as bad during rush hour, so it's pick your poison if your returning to Spring Hill from the north.

I'm truly amazed at how Spring Hill has grown so much and yet, TDOT has largely neglected it when it comes to road improvements. So many corridors that need upgrades, but little to no progress.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I-39

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2020, 05:56:17 PM
Quote from: I-39 on October 20, 2020, 08:22:29 AM

I figured Spring Hill would be a ghost town after the Saturn plant closed.

Nope, quite the opposite. Even right now, homes are selling like hotcakes. Tax revenue for the city actually went UP this year. It's a town of almost 50,000 people and yet, all the major N/S arterials are still narrow 2 lane roads.

codyg1985

This document from TDOT seems to indicate a couple of projects of interest. One is the construction of the widening of I-65 between TN 25 and TN 109 in Robertson County which is supposed to be let in 2021. https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/programdevelopment/stateprograms/3.25.20_tennessee%20fiscal%20years%2021-23.pdf
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Avalanchez71

I hate that I 65 lost its rural character in Williamson County.  The lane funnel game pushed further south but its the same game.  They should just leave up the lanes as is.  The more lanes the more usage.  The more usage the need for more lanes.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 28, 2020, 06:07:43 PM
I hate that I 65 lost its rural character in Williamson County.  The lane funnel game pushed further south but its the same game.  They should just leave up the lanes as is.  The more lanes the more usage.  The more usage the need for more lanes.
so why should we even have roads then at all with that mentality. The ridiculous induced demand argument prevails again.

froggie

Quote from: Plutonic PandaThe ridiculous induced demand argument prevails again.

It's not ridiculous.  It's well documented at this point.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on October 28, 2020, 11:27:50 PM
Quote from: Plutonic PandaThe ridiculous induced demand argument prevails again.

Meh.  I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  More lanes do not always mean more traffic (e.g., look at the likes of Binghamton, NY or Duluth, MN...heck, I'd even throw Detroit in there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buck87

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 21, 2020, 05:51:55 PM
This document from TDOT seems to indicate a couple of projects of interest. One is the construction of the widening of I-65 between TN 25 and TN 109 in Robertson County which is supposed to be let in 2021. https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/programdevelopment/stateprograms/3.25.20_tennessee%20fiscal%20years%2021-23.pdf

That's good to see some widening planned for the near future. The last time I had to drive that stretch of I-65 it was a frustrating mess of traffic caused by trucks passing trucks, until reaching the relief of the 6 laned Kentucky portion. 

I do seem to remember news posted somewhere on this site within the past 1-2 years about of some sort of big Tennessee statewide funding change or update, and it included widening the remaining 4 lane parts of I-65 between Nashville and Kentucky.

Plutonic Panda

not as implied by many urbanists.

sprjus4

It exists to an extent, but not to the extent anti-road groups make it out to be.

There's been plenty of success stories with widening projects done in the last 10-20 years that still perform an adequate LOS that otherwise would be failing today.

I-39

Some interesting things in this transportation document from last July

https://www.gnrc.org/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_07152020-90

They are listing projects for the next 25 years. For the first time, a reconstruction of the I-65/SR 96 interchange in Franklin is on the radar. Also, it looks like widening to six lanes from SR 109 to SR 25 will get underway soon.

Additionally, both the Buckner Road and US 412/Bear Creek Pike interchange projects should get underway this year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.