National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

[Cancelled] Boston, Massachusetts "City Meet"/"Transit Meet"?

<< < (5/5)

BridgesToIdealism:
If we meet up at North Station, we can ride one stop north on the Green Line to Science Park (assuming its open again), or, alternatively, if we meet at South Station, we can take the Red Line to Charles/MGH. If we meet at North Station and Science Park is still closed, you can also access the Esplanade from North Station, though there are a couple of difficult crossing-the-street movements.

Blue Hill Avenue is definitely an okay place now, as long as you are going in broad daylight and actually stay on Blue Hill Avenue (been down there twice). It can be tempting to explore behind some of the historic rowhouses that are along that stretch, but I'd advise against that. If you stay on the main road, you'll be fine. The Mattapan Branch is currently using the historic vintage PCC streetcars from the 1940s and 1950s for its fleet, thus requiring a transfer of vehicles at Ashmont. The transfer is free going outbound towards Mattapan; coming inbound it's free with a CharlieCard but a surcharge if using old fashioned tickets or cash since you do have to pass through fare control again. This being said, I don't plan on incorporating the Canton stubs into the itinerary at this point, since I would think that if anything in a historically so-so neighborhood is going to be sketchy, it would be an industrial plant that's closed on a weekend.

I've been trying to go into Boston at least once a week on the weekend, as unfortunately due to the pandemic there is absolutely nothing going on in terms of weekend activities on campus. As such, I've already done most (but admittedly not all) of the potential items that I've floated. I complied my list of possibilities partly from excursions that I had already undertaken successfully this past fall semester.

I'm open to suggestions about food. That's one thing that I haven't put a lot of thought into - usually just grabbing something affordable that was close by. I do know that South Station has several restaurants directly inside the concourse (or at least usually does - many of them have been closed due to the pandemic). Assuming they've reopened by the time this goes forward, that would be a possibility, though I don't know how expensive they are.

BridgesToIdealism:
Unfortunately I'm going to have to pull the plug on this idea. The reopening of Science Park and Lechmere stations has been pushed back to Winter 2021 (was originally set for Spring 2021), which hinders one of the main components of this event that I was planning (Esplanade). Additionally, there seem to be frequent weekend shutdowns/suspensions of various portions of the MBTA system, which have a much greater impact in Boston then they do say in New York City, where in most cases the MTA will simply reroute trains around a construction project but still run them. MBTA doesn't do that, so in most cases we'd be relying on unreliable shuttle buses that often get stuck in traffic and don't always stop exactly next to the train service they are replacing. The trains and buses also get really busy at certain times even on weekends, so there's no guarantee that we wouldn't get split up somewhere along the route. There are also several personal reasons involved in this decision, starting with the fact that there is uncertainty as to whether I will be remaining in the Metro Boston area long term.

If someone else wants to pick up this idea and run with it as their own, I have no issue with that, and in fact I'd probably be in attendance. But at least for the foreseeable future, I won't be able to host this as I had planned/hoped.

TheGrassGuy:

--- Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on May 13, 2021, 01:23:28 PM ---Unfortunately I'm going to have to pull the plug on this idea. The reopening of Science Park and Lechmere stations has been pushed back to Winter 2021 (was originally set for Spring 2021), which hinders one of the main components of this event that I was planning (Esplanade). Additionally, there seem to be frequent weekend shutdowns/suspensions of various portions of the MBTA system, which have a much greater impact in Boston then they do say in New York City, where in most cases the MTA will simply reroute trains around a construction project but still run them. MBTA doesn't do that, so in most cases we'd be relying on unreliable shuttle buses that often get stuck in traffic and don't always stop exactly next to the train service they are replacing. The trains and buses also get really busy at certain times even on weekends, so there's no guarantee that we wouldn't get split up somewhere along the route. There are also several personal reasons involved in this decision, starting with the fact that there is uncertainty as to whether I will be remaining in the Metro Boston area long term.

If someone else wants to pick up this idea and run with it as their own, I have no issue with that, and in fact I'd probably be in attendance. But at least for the foreseeable future, I won't be able to host this as I had planned/hoped.

--- End quote ---

Man, I'm sorry it had to be like that, especially with the vaccines and the fact that it's 2021. Unfortunately, Massachusetts is probably going to be the last state in the US to reopen, as most mandates aren't letting down until August, and the governor has stated his reopening dates won't be influenced by those of other states.

Perhaps you could plan something in one of the neighboring states? :hmmm: It's New England we're talking about, and most of the states there are relatively minuscule in land area.

1:

--- Quote from: TheGrassGuy on May 13, 2021, 02:42:32 PM ---Massachusetts is probably going to be the last state in the US to reopen, as most mandates aren't letting down until August, and the governor has stated his reopening dates won't be influenced by those of other states.

--- End quote ---

The northeast is also leading in vaccinations. Once there's no longer a need for the restrictions, they won't be there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version