News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Smokey and the Bandit Part 3 freeway scene

Started by wriddle082, January 10, 2021, 02:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wriddle082

Ok so I'm up late (as usual) watching Smokey and the Bandit Part 3, and around the halfway point, shortly after the "Snowman Bandit"  picks up Colleen Camp's character from the used car lot, there is a scene where they appear to be driving down a yet-to-be-opened six-to-eight-lane freeway, with asphalt pavement with no lines, and a wide median.  The movie came out in 1983.  I'm thinking this could be a section of FL I-75 or maybe that last stretch of I-95 in St. Lucie or Martin Co in FL, or maybe it's I-20 around Arlington or Grand Prairie, TX.  Any ideas?

formulanone

I recall that a few scenes in the movie were filmed in Florida; a big deal at the time because few movies or TV shows were filmed down there.

I haven't seen it in over 30 years.

wanderer2575

Sorry, but I have to say it:  I'll watch the original Smokey and the Bandit any time, but if you're watching Part III then you need to get out more often.

ilpt4u

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 10, 2021, 10:10:47 AM
Sorry, but I have to say it:  I'll watch the original Smokey and the Bandit any time, but if you're watching Part III then you need to get out more often.
I honestly didn't even know there was a 3rd Installment.

1 is a classic. 2 is bad. Then I quit looking...

hobsini2

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 10, 2021, 10:59:14 AM

A few years ago, there was a 3 DVD disc collection that came out with it. I got it cheap. 3 is ok. 2 was shit.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

democratic nole

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 10, 2021, 02:24:38 AM
Ok so I'm up late (as usual) watching Smokey and the Bandit Part 3, and around the halfway point, shortly after the "Snowman Bandit"  picks up Colleen Camp's character from the used car lot, there is a scene where they appear to be driving down a yet-to-be-opened six-to-eight-lane freeway, with asphalt pavement with no lines, and a wide median.  The movie came out in 1983.  I'm thinking this could be a section of FL I-75 or maybe that last stretch of I-95 in St. Lucie or Martin Co in FL, or maybe it's I-20 around Arlington or Grand Prairie, TX.  Any ideas?
This site says I-75 in Broward County: http://www.floridamovielocations2.org/page12.html

wriddle082

Quote from: democratic nole on January 10, 2021, 12:53:56 PM
This site says I-75 in Broward County: http://www.floridamovielocations2.org/page12.html

Awesome!  Yeah I had a feeling it was that part of 75.  I spent a couple of weeks working in that area in October and November, so I thought it looked a little familiar.

And yes, that movie did really suck, but it's still worth watching if you enjoy all of Jackie Gleason's one liners.  They just don't make them like him anymore!

formulanone

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 10, 2021, 07:42:09 PM
Quote from: democratic nole on January 10, 2021, 12:53:56 PM
Ok so I’m up late (as usual) watching Smokey and the Bandit Part 3, and around the halfway point, shortly after the “Snowman Bandit” picks up Colleen Camp’s character from the used car lot, there is a scene where they appear to be driving down a yet-to-be-opened six-to-eight-lane freeway, with asphalt pavement with no lines, and a wide median.  The movie came out in 1983.  I’m thinking this could be a section of FL I-75 or maybe that last stretch of I-95 in St. Lucie or Martin Co in FL, or maybe it’s I-20 around Arlington or Grand Prairie, TX.  Any ideas?

Awesome!  Yeah I had a feeling it was that part of 75.  I spent a couple of weeks working in that area in October and November, so I thought it looked a little familiar.

And yes, that movie did really suck, but it’s still worth watching if you enjoy all of Jackie Gleason’s one liners.  They just don’t make them like him anymore!

I'd heard for a long time that the Klan chase scene was filmed in Coral Springs - someone else already posted that on the movie locations site - looking at some of the stills, I suspect they filmed the scenes at the former "Park of Industry", which had a lot of mostly unused roads at the time, but were fully paved. (They were great for learning how to drive and also encountering very little traffic.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.2804004,-80.2909323,15.92z

Avalanchez71

BrianP

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 27, 2021, 02:08:17 PM
Was Burt Reynolds even in part III?
Yes BR has a scene at the end where Buford thinks he's talking to the real bandit.  BR is listed in the cast.  He was busy with Stroker Ace at the time. 

roadman65

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 10, 2021, 10:59:14 AM

Part 2 was cartoonist as the first one was more realistic.  Like Buford's car in the end. Come on that is out of animation.  Plus how did he get the water out of his car so fast as a car takes weeks to dry out even from a shallow flood. His car got dunked.

Plus how was his brother able to get down to Texas from Canada faster than the Bandit could travel the southeast?

Then the days traveling did not add up and the thrill from a race wasn't there due to the fight between Bandit and Carrie over the elephant.

Funny still but not the same as 1.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.