News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2021 wildfires thread

Started by bing101, March 15, 2021, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Bruce

bing101

hbelkins

I hope fires don't impact any of the places I'll be going in a couple of weeks, but I just wonder how smoky Montana will be.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

AQI values in Montana re mostly above 100 (aka hazardous).

The Cascades is the dividing line between good and extremely bad air quality right now, thanks to onshore winds keeping the smoke heading east.

https://twitter.com/NOAASatellitePA/status/1419645031158267905

SectorZ

Actually have AQI values approaching 200 today in central Mass up to Quebec.

It's been hazy my way all day, but got much worse in the afternoon. Smelling it (from 3,000 miles away) on a bike ride today is a new and saddening experience for me.

Bruce

Now that the East Coast is finally feeling what we've had for the past few summers, there'd be some support for federal firefighting aid. We need year-round crews to thin forests between the fire seasons.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bing101

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/caldor-fire-evacuations-lake-tahoe-basin-california/#app
Here is the Caldor fire in the Gold Country area of California it's affecting El Dorado county

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on September 03, 2021, 09:20:00 PM
Fallout from the Caldor fire.

First Quake (which you've reported several of in the past), then Fallout, what's next? I hope it's not Doom.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2021, 10:03:28 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 26, 2021, 11:37:02 PM
https://whdh.com/news/national-weather-service-issues-air-quality-alert-for-much-of-mass-amid-smoky-haze-from-wildfires/

Thanks climate change

So you've determined it wouldn't have happened without climate change?

Has there ever been a thread locked on this board that wasn't because it was posted to the wrong board?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on September 03, 2021, 09:23:05 PM
Quote from: bing101 on September 03, 2021, 09:20:00 PM
Fallout from the Caldor fire.

First Quake (which you've reported several of in the past), then Fallout, what's next? I hope it's not Doom.

The demonic consumption of Earth as depicted in the Doom games certainly would start several wildfires.  That is until the Icon of Sin sucks the entire dimensional plane into a black hole.

Concrete Bob

Scott5114

A fire in Colorado has destroyed potentially 500+ homes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/12/30/colorado-grass-fire/

Quote from: Washington Post
BOULDER, Colo. – A wind-fueled grass fire in Colorado burned hundreds of homes in a matter of hours and forced thousands to evacuate Thursday, officials said, as flames rapidly spread through a region that has seen an unusually dry December.

Whole neighborhoods were engulfed in flames as the fire advanced through Superior and Louisville, two towns about eight miles outside Boulder. In the Sagamore subdivision, 370 homes were believed lost, Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle said, while another 210 were feared destroyed in another part of Superior. Several businesses in a Target shopping complex were also burned. Authorities also ordered citizens in Meadow View, a community in between Denver and Boulder, to evacuate.

"We're potentially talking about over 500 homes,"  Pelle said. That is likely to make it the most destructive fire in state history, according to local tallies.

Earlier in the day, the National Weather Service warned the situation was "life-threatening"  – urging residents of Superior and Louisville to immediately leave. The towns have a combined population of over 34,000, and the evacuations triggered frantic escapes and long traffic lines during the height of the holiday season. Later in the day, Gov. Jared Polis (D) told people observing the fires to stop clogging roads and make way for first responders.

There were no immediate reports of deaths, but officials warned that it would take time before the full toll of the damage is known.

The Marshall Fire and a second, smaller blaze further north – the Middle Fork Fire – are believed to have been sparked by downed power lines, according to the Boulder County Sheriff's Office. Meteorologists recorded 100 mph wind gusts, pushing the flames in the direction of urban areas and increasing the fire's size to over 1,600 acres.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.