News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Long-awaited Selmon Expressway extension to open within a week

Started by BridgesToIdealism, April 13, 2021, 01:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BridgesToIdealism

https://www.roadsbridges.com/thea-announces-opening-selmon-west-extension-tampa-florida-region

Hopefully this will help relieve some of the congestion along Gandy Blvd, especially during the summer months post-COVID.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

The Ghostbuster

Would it be possible to extend this new extension further east or further west, or would local opposition keep the Gandy Blvd. viaduct at its now-existing length permanently?

deathtopumpkins

I'm looking forward to getting back down there to drive it! I drove Gandy a few months ago underneath the new road and traffic moved surprisingly well, but this still should be a major improvement.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 13, 2021, 09:02:46 PM
Would it be possible to extend this new extension further east or further west, or would local opposition keep the Gandy Blvd. viaduct at its now-existing length permanently?

Extending it east would be pointless, and it when this opens it will extend all the way to the bridge in the west.

On the Pinellas side Gandy was recently upgraded to a freeway east of I-275, leaving only one signal before the bridge (and one signal at the 275 interchange).
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

rickmastfan67

Hope somebody checks this out on opening day to find out if they completely renumber the exits on the Selmon Expressway due to the extension.

formulanone

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 14, 2021, 09:10:19 PM
Hope somebody checks this out on opening day to find out if they completely renumber the exits on the Selmon Expressway due to the extension.

Exits on the Crosstown Expressway seemed the same last month, with no exits tabs "hiding".

However, there were some signs covered up near the end with US 92:

...but holy moley, those are some gargantuan sign posts on US 92 (and they're cut off in the shot)!

Great Lakes Roads

1995hoo

I was going to make a joke about your use of the word "officially" to inquire how a road could be "unofficially open," but then I remembered that in the month or two prior to the Dulles Greenway opening, the construction company had to hire security guards to prevent people from sneaking onto the road to bypass traffic.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

I'm probably going to check this out in June when I head to Tampa.  I have an album of the early construction from 2019. 

kevinb1994

I'll have to see it for myself, as I've never driven through that part of Tampa (in addition to the rest of the expressway, that runs through downtown and East Tampa). The Pinellas side I've already seen via 275 (Howard Frankland Bridge).

D-Dey65

This is a connection that I always felt should exist in one form or another. Now that it's here I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to drive on it on the first day.

roadman65

[/quote]

The toll rates are 95 cents for SunPass and $1.31 for pay by plate.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on April 21, 2021, 12:17:01 PM

The toll rates are 95 cents for SunPass and $1.31 for pay by plate.

Good to know, I did read about that thanks to local media there.

EDIT: Seems like the thread was broken when I typed the above. Can someone please fix this? Thanks.

sernum

what were the original plans for the entire expressway route? it clearly looks like it was meant to continue in a SE direction.

btl1016

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2021, 05:17:25 PM
I was going to make a joke about your use of the word "officially" to inquire how a road could be "unofficially open," but then I remembered that in the month or two prior to the Dulles Greenway opening, the construction company had to hire security guards to prevent people from sneaking onto the road to bypass traffic.

The Florida Turnpike is having to do something similar right now at the 417 ramps by having an FHP car stationed on it! The ramps are done, they just have to put the final pavement layer down at the end to connect it to 417.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.