News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest state lines with no interstate crossings

Started by webny99, April 21, 2021, 10:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I was just noticing that from the start of the NY/VT state line at Rouses Point, you have to go south all the way to I-90 before you encounter an interstate that crosses the state line. There are no interstate crossings between NY and VT. The distance from Rouses Point to I-90 at the NY/MA line is around 200 miles.

So, two questions:

1. What is the longest shared state line with no interstate crossings? NY/VT would be a candidate, but WI/MI and NE/KS are longer.

2. What is the longest combined stretch of state lines with no interstate crossings?
-As in the example above, you could continue NY/VT with NY/MA, but you have to stop when you hit an interstate.
-Both of the original states can switch as long as the line is continuous, such as ND/MT > MT/SD > SD/WY
-90 degree turns, such as the corner of WY near Yellowstone, are allowed, but 180 degree turns are not allowed (I'm not sure if any even exist, so this is just a pre-emptive note).
-Also consider that partial state lines with a long section between interstates (like TX/NM, which does not qualify for question 1 because of I-10 and I-27) could still count.

Edited to add:
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 21, 2021, 11:55:47 PM
An interesting question 3 might be, for each state, what is the longest stretch of state line between crossings? i.e. measuring from one Interstate to the next along that state's boundaries.

Obviously, all questions pertain only to the lower 48 states.

TheHighwayMan3561

Unscientifically I think NE/SD is longer than NE/KS, so that's my guess.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 10:44:35 PM
I was just noticing that from the start of the NY/VT state line at Rouses Point, you have to go south all the way to I-90 before you encounter an interstate that crosses the state line. There are no interstate crossings between NY and VT. The distance from Rouses Point to I-90 at the NY/MA line is around 200 miles.

So, two questions:

1. What is the longest shared state line with no interstate crossings? NY/VT would be a candidate, but WI/MI and NE/KS are longer.

2. What is the longest combined stretch of state lines with no interstate crossings?
-As in the example above, you could continue NY/VT with NY/MA, but you have to stop when you hit an interstate.
-Both of the original states can switch as long as the line is continuous, such as ND/MT > MT/SD > SD/WY
-90 degree turns, such as the corner of WY near Yellowstone, are allowed, but 180 degree turns are not allowed (I'm not sure if any even exist, so this is just a pre-emptive note).
-Also consider that partial state lines with a long section between interstates (like TX/NM, which does not qualify for question 1 because of I-10 and I-27) could still count.

Obviously, both questions pertain only to the lower 48 states.
This is my nomination for #2:

webny99

^ That crosses I-535, but still a good candidate even starting in Duluth.

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 11:00:24 PM
^ That crosses I-535, but still a good candidate even starting in Duluth.
Times I forgot I-535 exists: too many to count  :banghead:
Modified it without the section between I-94 and I-535:

And the Wisconsin-Michigan border for #1:

US 89

Looking at a handful of western states with long borders, the biggest ones I see without an interstate crossing are NV-OR, NV-ID, and ID-WY.

Scott5114

An interesting question 3 might be, for each state, what is the longest stretch of state line between crossings? i.e. measuring from one Interstate to the next along that state's boundaries.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Ohio: about 250 miles along its border with KY and WV between I-275 and I-77.

Indiana: about 250 miles along its border with IL and KY between both I-64 crossings. This will get shortened when I-69's Ohio River crossing gets finished.

Kentucky: about 280 miles along its border with IL and IN between I-24 and I-64. This will get shortened when I-69's Ohio River crossing gets finished.

Missouri: about 350 miles along its border with OK and AR between I-44 and I-55. This will get shortened when I-49's Bella Vista Bypass gets finished.

Illinois: about 165 miles along its border with IA and WI between I-80 and I-39. Illinois have two others that are close in length.
- Between I-72 and I-280: 160 miles
- Between I-57 and I-255: 160 miles

jp the roadgeek

The only other one I could think of in the Northeast is NY-RI, and that's an extremely small water border.  VA and KY have a significant border with no interstate crossings.  GA and NC have a smaller one.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Ga293

The TX/NM border runs for right around 425 miles between I-10 and I-40. A fairly coarse estimate of the ID/MT border between I-90 and I-15 pegs it around 405 miles, but a more meticulous, detailed measurement should yield a distance significantly longer than the section of the TX/NM border.

Road Hog

Arkansas and Mississippi have no interstate crossings. Because the border follows the twists and turns of the Mississippi River, it will be quite lengthy, probably close to 400 miles.

Scott5114

Quote from: Road Hog on April 22, 2021, 03:08:35 AM
Arkansas and Mississippi have no interstate crossings. Because the border follows the twists and turns of the Mississippi River, it will be quite lengthy, probably close to 400 miles.

Fortunately, the Mississippi River is mileposted. The southern border of Arkansas intersects the river at mile 507, and the southern border of Tennessee intersects at mile 715, for a total of 208 miles.

There are a few places where the border meanders along oxbows while the river doesnt, but it's definitely not 200 miles worth.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

debragga

Quote from: Road Hog on April 22, 2021, 03:08:35 AM

You can add the Louisiana-Arkansas state line east of I-49 as well, since it's all contiguous.

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 22, 2021, 12:13:01 AM
Kentucky: about 280 miles along its border with IL and IN between I-24 and I-64. This will get shortened when I-69's Ohio River crossing gets finished.

That certainly highlights the meanderings of the Ohio River, as it's definitely not 280 miles from Louisville to Paducah via US 60.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

For question #2 not using maritime borders:

Around 502 miles along the CA/OR -> NV/OR -> NV/ID -> ID/UT border from I-5 to I-84.

Around 544 miles along the NE/WY -> NE/SD -> NE/IA border from I-80 to I-129.

Around 570 miles along WY/MT -> MT/SD -> SD/ND border from I-90 to I-29.

Chris

Henry

CA has two of these: first on the border with NV between I-15 and I-80, and then from there to the OR border where I-5 crosses over.

WA has a fairly large gap as well, stretching from I-90 on the ID border to I-82 on the OR border with the Columbia River.

For OR, it has two as well: from I-82 on the WA border to I-84 on the ID border, and then from there to I-5 at the CA border, which includes the aforementioned border with NV.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US 89

Question #2 for Utah is about 406 miles, from I-15 at the AZ border to I-70 at the CO border.

MCRoads

The Oklahoma panhandle might be a contender, as no interstate crosses into Oklahoma from I-40, up north, west around the panhandle, and east until I-35. According to rough measurements, it is 600 miles. I believe this may be a candidate for the longest such land border.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

webny99

Quote from: MCRoads on April 22, 2021, 11:48:55 AM
The Oklahoma panhandle might be a contender, as no interstate crosses into Oklahoma from I-40, up north, west around the panhandle, and east until I-35. According to rough measurements, it is 600 miles. I believe this may be a candidate for the longest such land border.

↓ I knew I put this in there for a reason! :D  But now that we have a practical example, I'm wavering. I'll let the audience decide if it counts or not.

MCRoads

Keep in mind that the panhandle itself is pretty wide, about 35 miles IIRC.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

ran4sh

For Georgia it's the section between I-75 at the FL line and I-85 at the AL line.

For NC I would guess the section from I-40 at the TN line to I-26 at the SC line.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 21, 2021, 10:53:29 PM

So, two questions:

Obviously, both questions pertain only to the lower 48 states.
This is my nomination for #2:

You went past I-535.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

JayhawkCO

Looks like about 403 miles for Colorado, from I-70 @ UT to I-25 @ NM.

Chris

GaryV

Michigan:  Start at I-94 going into IN.  Continue to and up the middle of Lake Michigan, into Green Bay (the bay, not the city), along the MI/WI land border, up around Isle Royale, over to the St Marys River, down Lake Huron through to Lake Erie, around the corner along the Ohio border and end where I-75 crosses the line.

Montana along its northern borders is probably even longer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.