News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California SR 173 - eastern segment near Lake Arrowhead (San Bernardino County)

Started by M3100, June 05, 2021, 10:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

I drove this segment on June 4, 2021.  Here are some pics along the way.

1. Unlike its high desert counterpart, this segment is reasonably well signed. Here is an example

2. This sign, alerting drivers to rough conditions ahead, likely existed prior to the middle segment being closed.

3. While this likely does not qualify as an "End" sign, it does alert the driver that the "End" is near. The road was reasonably well maintained up to this point.

4. "Pavement Ends", but still there was some distance to go.

5. 15 MPH speed limit; this part of the road had not been repaved in some time

6. The heavy steel barrier

7. On the way back...here's an example where nature is starting to reclaim the shoulder of the road

8. A genuine "End" sign at the junction with California SR 18.

Max Rockatansky

My assumption with eastern 173 is that is signed well due to the shopping center at Lake Arrowhead.  The McDonald's on the lake shore is probably the strangest I've ever encountered.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 06, 2021, 05:10:46 AM
My assumption with eastern 173 is that is signed well due to the shopping center at Lake Arrowhead.  The McDonald's on the lake shore is probably the strangest I've ever encountered.

The intersection at the above mentioned shopping center features one of the strangest junction points of two state routes around; CA 189 strikes out to the west on a ledge above the main entrance to the Lake Arrowhead Village parking lot; it's two narrow lanes serving the south side of the community of Lake Arrowhead itself that eventually winds its way back to CA 18 a few miles to the west.  189 is one of a handful of state routes that simply retained its LRN number; signage occurred around 1970-71 at the same time 173 was signed.  My ex was from Lake Arrowhead; her childhood home was off Grass Valley Road -- so I was up there regularly during '70-'71 while we were dating, and first noticed that signage had been erected along 173 & 189 during that time period -- they weren't there on one visit, but those shiny new green spades showed up a couple of weeks later.   

roadfro

That second part had me intrigued. Had to check it out on Street View...you're not wrong! There was likely had a stipulation that their building must match the character of the rest of the shopping complex (or they took over an existing building)...doesn't even look like it has a drive thru, given the "take out order" parking signs.

Quote from: sparker on June 07, 2021, 03:01:19 AM

The intersection at the above mentioned shopping center features one of the strangest junction points of two state routes around; CA 189 strikes out to the west on a ledge above the main entrance to the Lake Arrowhead Village parking lot; it's two narrow lanes serving the south side of the community of Lake Arrowhead itself that eventually winds its way back to CA 18 a few miles to the west.

That is really narrow! So much so that there is barely a foot between the edge line and the adjacent homeowner's property, necessitating junction signage being posted on the wrong side of the road...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

Regarding the Lake Arrowhead McDonald's it has a take out window that you can walk up to.  The back entrance empties right out onto Lake Arrowhead. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.