News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-40/55 Service Road Closure in West Memphis, AR

Started by ixnay, June 07, 2021, 09:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

I couldn't find a general Arkansas roads thread and this really has nothing to do with the DeSoto Bridge closure, so I gave this its own thread.

It's a little after 0800 CDT on 06.07.2021, and the south service road alongside I-40 from exit 275, through the 40-55 multiplex, ending at the junction with US 70 near the latter road's merge point with I-55, all in West Memphis, is closed, quite apart from the DeSoto Bridge closure.  Why?

ixnay

sprjus4

Quote from: ixnay on June 07, 2021, 09:08:37 AM
I couldn't find a general Arkansas roads thread and this really has nothing to do with the DeSoto Bridge closure, so I gave this its own thread.

It's a little after 0800 CDT on 06.07.2021, and the south service road alongside I-40 from exit 275, through the 40-55 multiplex, ending at the junction with US 70 near the latter road's merge point with I-55, all in West Memphis, is closed, quite apart from the DeSoto Bridge closure.  Why?

ixnay
... probably to deter traffic from exiting and avoiding backups - ultimately causing another one where the two merge back together... caused by the DeSoto Bridge closure.

bwana39

I would expect to keep the backed up traffic from trying to take the service road to miss the I-55 confluence. IE make all the through traffic remain on the I-40 / I-55 main lanes.

ixnay
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

vdeane

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 07, 2021, 10:26:38 AM

ixnay
... probably to deter traffic from exiting and avoiding backups - ultimately causing another one where the two merge back together... caused by the DeSoto Bridge closure.
Which is exactly what Google was advising people do for a while, so I'm sure it was an issue.  I do wonder how people are supposed to access the businesses there, though - especially as Google actually shows practically every arterial road in West Memphis as closed when zoomed in!  It's like they shut down the whole town or something.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Evan_Th

Quote from: vdeane on June 07, 2021, 01:00:57 PM

ixnay
Which is exactly what Google was advising people do for a while, so I'm sure it was an issue.  I do wonder how people are supposed to access the businesses there, though - especially as Google actually shows practically every arterial road in West Memphis as closed when zoomed in!  It's like they shut down the whole town or something.

I'd guess they aren't actually closed; they're just reported to Google as closed to stop Google's algorithm from routing people down them.

webny99

The backup does (at least at the time of this post) seem to be much better now than it has been. I suspect the on-ramps from the service road were an underrated cause of the backup in the first place. Of course, traffic can still use US 70, which is what Google suggests now, in fact.

I'd be very interested to know what it's like on the ground there. Maybe they're using temporary "local traffic only" signs like what is sometimes done to give residents/businesses access during a construction-related closure. Or maybe Evan_Th is correct and there's no closures/restrictions at all.

ixnay

Quote from: vdeane on June 07, 2021, 01:00:57 PM

ixnay

Including AR 191, end to end (from AR 77 to US 70).

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.