User Content > Road Trips

New England in August

<< < (8/8)

webny99:

--- Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2021, 11:10:39 AM ---Acadia was established with all sorts of weird conditions, which is why you have the free and too-popular section of the park and then the for-fee loop road.  Cadillac Mountain in particular is an absolute mess and overrun with crowds (signs say "Leave No Trace" -- Seeing the unmanageable crowd on the summit, my father quipped, "Yep, leave no trace of wildlife whatsoever.").  I am sure they may establish reservations for the Loop Road, but they'll probably keep doing what they've done for Jordan Pond/Cadillac Mountain -- when the lots fill up and the waiting line is jamming the driveways up, sorry, just drive around until something opens up.

--- End quote ---

I guess Iím a few days late for the OP, but having been to Acadia in July, I might as well share my experience: Cadillac Mountain was busy, but far from overcrowded, with lots of room to spread out. This is at least partly because reservations are now required, for a small fee, to limit crowds during Covid. Thereís only a certain number of vehicles/passengers allowed up during each half-hour window, and you have to arrive during your half-hour to be allowed up.

Sand Beach and Thunder Hole were busy, with tons of cars parked right on the loop road, but I assume thatís probably normal. Parking was hard to find in Bar Harbor, but it wasnít too bad in terms of crowds. I heard that itís been considerably less busy than usual (pre-Covid) in town with no cruises stopping there.

hobsini2:

--- Quote from: webny99 on August 11, 2021, 03:38:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2021, 11:10:39 AM ---Acadia was established with all sorts of weird conditions, which is why you have the free and too-popular section of the park and then the for-fee loop road.  Cadillac Mountain in particular is an absolute mess and overrun with crowds (signs say "Leave No Trace" -- Seeing the unmanageable crowd on the summit, my father quipped, "Yep, leave no trace of wildlife whatsoever.").  I am sure they may establish reservations for the Loop Road, but they'll probably keep doing what they've done for Jordan Pond/Cadillac Mountain -- when the lots fill up and the waiting line is jamming the driveways up, sorry, just drive around until something opens up.

--- End quote ---

I guess Iím a few days late for the OP, but having been to Acadia in July, I might as well share my experience: Cadillac Mountain was busy, but far from overcrowded, with lots of room to spread out. This is at least partly because reservations are now required, for a small fee, to limit crowds during Covid. Thereís only a certain number of vehicles/passengers allowed up during each half-hour window, and you have to arrive during your half-hour to be allowed up.

Sand Beach and Thunder Hole were busy, with tons of cars parked right on the loop road, but I assume thatís probably normal. Parking was hard to find in Bar Harbor, but it wasnít too bad in terms of crowds. I heard that itís been considerably less busy than usual (pre-Covid) in town with no cruises stopping there.

--- End quote ---
Yeah parking in Bar Harbor was not easy. We did find decent parking by Grant Park and walked along the shore path.  We did attempt to walk out to Bar Island but the tide was too high. we got out about 1/3 of the way before we turned back.  Cadillac Mountain wasn't too busy as we hit it early in the day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version