User Content > Road Trips

New England in August

<< < (2/8) > >>

webny99:

--- Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2021, 10:20:37 AM ---Thanks to post-COVID, Acadia will be difficult to get to without well-in-advance reservations, probably impossible at this point if you're going in August.  You could probably sneak a day-trip into Bar Harbor, but probably not much beyond that.

--- End quote ---

Are you referring to overnight reservations, or just to enter the park?

I only ask because I also have tentative plans to visit Acadia in July. We aren't planning on overnighting in the park, but if you can't even get in without a reservation, that changes things.

froggie:
Definitely the former.  I have heard rumors to the latter but have not verified yet.

cabiness42:
We just came back from New England. Had to go via Indianapolis to drop off/pick up our dog at the in-laws, so the western segment of our routes won't match up. I-80 in Pennsylvania had some spots that were down to 1 land but on weekday mornings/afternoons, it didn't slow us down any. We were also on most of I-90 in New York with no problems.

Two of the most scenic places we went were:
Provincetown (end of Cape Cod)
Kennebunkpoint/Walker Point (summer home of Bush Family)

Rothman:

--- Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2021, 10:20:37 AM ---Thanks to post-COVID, Acadia will be difficult to get to without well-in-advance reservations, probably impossible at this point if you're going in August.  You could probably sneak a day-trip into Bar Harbor, but probably not much beyond that.

If you're going to do Cape Cod, do it mid-week.  Don't even think of trying between Thursday and Monday.

Lake Champlain is pretty doable.  Drive across part of the lake on US 2 (and see most of Vermont's rare jughandles on the way from I-89).  Two ferries that are fairly useful if you don't want to swing long to cross the bridges.

--- End quote ---
I don't see how they can restrict access to the free sections of the park -- Jordan Pond or Cadillac Mountain like that.

froggie:
^ Hence why I mentioned a day-trip may be possible, but overnight accommodations probably not.

That said, I've read reports recently where, once day parking lots fill up, NPS is indeed restricting access at other national parks.  Not sure if that's the case at Acadia.  It's certainly happening at the state level at places such as Franconia Notch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version