User Content > Road Trips

Charlottesville to Atlanta via Asheville

(1/2) > >>

Sub-Urbanite:
I'm driving from Charlottesville to Atlanta soon and I'm trying to plan out exactly how to go.

I have one thing set: I'm spending the night in Asheville midway.

Here's my considerations:

* I'm traveling with an almost-6-year-old
* I've never been to the South
* I get one day in Atlanta, my return flight leaves the morning after I arrive.
* I'd like to drive through some part of GSMNP, probably Cades Cove
* I'd also like to visit Fonta Flora Brewing in Morgantown NC but I feel like I have to choose between GSMNP and Fonta Flora and I'm picking bears over beers if I have to choose.
* I can leave Charlottesville as early as I want but I am not a morning person so I'm going to be somewhat miserable if it's too early.
Discuss amongst yourselves…
[/list]

kevinb1994:
Found this while searching for “One Day in Atlanta”...

https://discoveratlanta.com/explore/itineraries/one-day-in-atlanta/

hbelkins:
You're going to be pressed for time if you leave Charlottesville, want to detour west to Cades Cove, and then make it to Asheville the same night.

I-64 to I-81 to I-40, exit at TN 66 and go south to Sevierville, then US 441 into the park (using the Gatlinburg bypass if you don't want to get caught in the traffic there), to the access to Cades Cove.

On return, US 321 north out of Gatlinburg (East Parkway, the turn is, IIRC, at Traffic Light #3) to I-40 to Asheville.

From Asheville, I'd highly recommend US 23 into Georgia, then the interstates on in to Atlanta. Easy, scenic drive, which should all be four lanes now (when I drove it years ago, there were still a few two-lane segments of 23 in Georgia that were under construction).

Mapmikey:
The time split on the suggested itinerary above is roughly:

Day 1 - 9.5 hr
Day 2 - 3.5 hr

However, you can do everything on your list by going Charlottesville-Morganton-Asheville (US 29 to Greensboro then I-40) on Day 1, then Asheville-Cades Cove-Atlanta (use reverse of above to get to Cades Cove, then make your way over to US 411 or I-75 to get to Georgia.

Not including the Cades Cove loop itself, this is roughly:

Day 1 - 6 hr
Day 2 - 7.1 hr

webny99:

--- Quote from: Mapmikey on June 17, 2021, 07:50:23 PM ---The time split on the suggested itinerary above is roughly:

Day 1 - 9.5 hr
Day 2 - 3.5 hr

However, you can do everything on your list by going Charlottesville-Morganton-Asheville (US 29 to Greensboro then I-40) on Day 1, then Asheville-Cades Cove-Atlanta (use reverse of above to get to Cades Cove, then make your way over to US 411 or I-75 to get to Georgia.

Not including the Cades Cove loop itself, this is roughly:

Day 1 - 6 hr
Day 2 - 7.1 hr

--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I was thinking - it might make more sense to do the Smokies/Cades Cove after Asheville. Just for fun, here is Google's recommendation - 13 hours of travel time even with a stop at Morganton. Skipping Morganton saves about 20-25 minutes of travel time, but if you do Cades Cove first and then Asheville, you're back to a full 13 hours.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version