Regional Boards > Mountain West

Opinion: US 285 should be signed east-west

<< < (6/7) > >>

zachary_amaryllis:
i want to say i remember back when i was a kid, that i-270 was signed 'north' where you got on it at quebec, back when stapleton airport was still there.

*gets worm can opener*
why not sign things with the other points of the compass... like 'northwest' i-270 or something..?

jayhawkco:

--- Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 02, 2021, 09:31:11 AM ---i want to say i remember back when i was a kid, that i-270 was signed 'north' where you got on it at quebec, back when stapleton airport was still there.

*gets worm can opener*
why not sign things with the other points of the compass... like 'northwest' i-270 or something..?

--- End quote ---

I feel like North is probably accurate for 270.  I would think a good chunk of that traffic is going from I-70 west to I-25 north, not saying on US36 towards Westminster/Boulder. 

Chris

SkyPesos:
The biggest 3di culprit for being signed in a perpendicular cardinal direction compared to most of its routing is I-278. Seems weird that I'm going "east" when the road is bending to the west at a particular moment, and the overall road is much more N-S.

--- Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 02, 2021, 09:31:11 AM ---why not sign things with the other points of the compass... like 'northwest' i-270 or something..?

--- End quote ---
Ohio used to sign the many diagonal US routes in the state like that. For example, US 42 was signed "N-East (northeast)" and "S-West (southwest)" before. Not sure why it was changed.

mrsman:
I can provide another (fictional) alternative to the dilemma.  Perhaps US 285 should either end at CO-470 or multiplex with CO-470 to end at I-70.  This would keep all of US 285, even in the Denver metro, as a primarily N-S route.  C-30 can take over the remaining part of US 285.

thenetwork:

--- Quote from: mrsman on July 21, 2021, 03:58:06 PM ---I can provide another (fictional) alternative to the dilemma.  Perhaps US 285 should either end at CO-470 or multiplex with CO-470 to end at I-70.  This would keep all of US 285, even in the Denver metro, as a primarily N-S route.  C-30 can take over the remaining part of US 285.

--- End quote ---

You could also have US-285 end at parent US-85/Santa Fe Avenue as pretty much the "expressway" portion of US-285 ends there and I would assume the majority of US-285 traffic headed to/from downtown Denver and points north would choose US-85 Santa Fe over I-25.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version