Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

US-101 North of Santa Rosa

(1/3) > >>

michravera:
My wife and I are planning a driving trip to Brookings, OR from our home in Fremont. I haven't ever driven US-101 north of Bodega Bay. Can someone with local knowledge tell me about the road north of Santa Rosa? I haven't been on US-101 that far north since a family trip back in 1965 (when I was 5).

What part of the road is freeway, expressway, multilane, divided, undivided, etc? What are the shoulders and medians like? What is fuel availability like?

Nothing beats local and recent knowledge

Max Rockatansky:
The whole thing is pretty nice, especially north of Willits.  I tend to prefer diving off onto older alignments like CA 254, Newton B Drury Scenic Parkway and CA 283 given they have some hugely historic segments.  Last Chance Grade is becoming an increasing problem getting through to Crescent City. 

For the most part north to the Oregon State Line is four lane expressway or freeway.  Layton like, the gap in the two CA 271 segments, Richardson Grove State Park and the Klamath River-Last Chance Grade are two lane segments. 

nexus73:
Max, of the 27 miles for 101 between Brookings and Crescent City, there are 3 miles of freeway north of Crescent City and 4 miles of expressway south of Brookings.  In between it is all 2-lane or 2-lane with middle turn lanes.  Given the traffic, 101 should be all 4-lane between these two cities.

To Mich: Get your gas at the Fred Meyer in Brookings.  It is always well under California prices.  There is no sales tax in Oregon so enjoy that benefit.  If you go up to Bandon, take 42S to 42 to I-5 for the return home.  Should you backtrack to 199, watch out for the Safety Corridor south of Grants Pass.  The Oregon State Police watch it like a hawk.  There is an In-N-Out in Grants Pass and Medford.

Brookings to Port Orford is classic Oregon Coast viewing.  Hope you can drive it!

Rick

heynow415:

--- Quote from: michravera on July 07, 2021, 10:20:21 PM ---My wife and I are planning a driving trip to Brookings, OR from our home in Fremont. I haven't ever driven US-101 north of Bodega Bay. Can someone with local knowledge tell me about the road north of Santa Rosa? I haven't been on US-101 that far north since a family trip back in 1965 (when I was 5).

What part of the road is freeway, expressway, multilane, divided, undivided, etc? What are the shoulders and medians like? What is fuel availability like?

Nothing beats local and recent knowledge

--- End quote ---

Would definitely recommend taking SR254, aka Avenue of the Giants.  It's parallel to the freeway portion of 101 going through Humboldt Redwoods SP (it was 101 pre-freeway) and is fantastically scenic.  It also passes through several small villages along the way with places to eat or caffeine-up.

Bickendan:
Note that the freeway sections in Medocino County tend to be true Super 4s, not dual carriageways.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version