Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

US-101 North of Santa Rosa

<< < (3/3)

michravera:

--- Quote from: kkt on July 21, 2021, 11:12:43 PM ---Enjoy the trip!  This is a wonderful drive.  Definitely second taking Avenue of the Giants over staying on 101, unless you are in a huge hurry.

--- End quote ---

We did drive part of Avenue of the Giants. It turned out to be a big mistake. The Avenue was great! What happened is that we failed to notice the 15:00-19:00 closure of US-101 south of Crescent City and narrowly missed making it through before the closure. We were stuck in Klamath CA without WiFi and with marginal phone service and had to arrange someone to work for me that night. We left at 6:30 in an effort to get out of the Bay Area before traffic paralysis set in. This turned an otherwise great 8 hour drive with a lunch stop into a 14-hour odyssey. Fortunately and unfortunately, we need to take I-5 home and, smoke permitting, we won't get trapped/

kkt:
Oh, sorry you were caught by that!

Max Rockatansky:
Presumably this will be a trip that takes you east on US 199?  If so thatís a damn scenic drive unto itself.  I would also recommend detouring onto Old US 99 on CA 263 through the Shasta River Canyon.  CA 273 through is sufficiently odd enough to make for a detour through Redding. 

Bickendan:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 28, 2021, 10:13:02 AM ---Presumably this will be a trip that takes you east on US 199?  If so thatís a damn scenic drive unto itself.  I would also recommend detouring onto Old US 99 on CA 263 through the Shasta River Canyon.  CA 273 through is sufficiently odd enough to make for a detour through Redding. 

--- End quote ---
And OR 273 might be a viable detour depending on the current lane configuration over Siskiyou Summit. It's unsigned from I-5; take Exit 1 and follow it all the way down to OR 66.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: Bickendan on July 30, 2021, 05:58:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 28, 2021, 10:13:02 AM ---Presumably this will be a trip that takes you east on US 199?  If so thatís a damn scenic drive unto itself.  I would also recommend detouring onto Old US 99 on CA 263 through the Shasta River Canyon.  CA 273 through is sufficiently odd enough to make for a detour through Redding. 

--- End quote ---
And OR 273 might be a viable detour depending on the current lane configuration over Siskiyou Summit. It's unsigned from I-5; take Exit 1 and follow it all the way down to OR 66.

--- End quote ---

Plus thatís an another old US 99 segment which also happen to have a rail overpass built in 1914. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version