National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

April 2022 Central Pennsylvania Road Meet "In planning\ feedback" stage

(1/4) > >>

jpi:
Evening everyone, it has been a while since I have been on here, some of you may already be aware of this but now that things are slowly getting back to normal and Dan Murphy is hosting the first "traditional" road meet since 2019 in a week the time is coming for another spring central Pennsylvania road meet. The focus will be on the diverging diamond interchange at Shrewsbury on I-83 the first of its kind in the York\ Lancaster\ Harrisburg region. We will also check out a relocated PA 214 in the Loganville area (exit 10) that was done back in the mid to late 2000's (this is also an area I spent my childhood growing up)

Now the part that is still in planning and could use some feedback, who would be up for an approximate 1 and 3/4 mile hike one way along the northern Central Railroad rail\ trail to the oldest active railroad tunnel in the world?? :nod: If weather permits and I am aiming at either Saturday April 16 or Saturday April 23 for this I think this would be a very unique feature for this road meet. There is a parking area just off PA 214 between Loganville and Seven Valleys where we can park and walk, the trail is very level and would take us about 2 hours round trip to the tunnel and back. I have done it one time about 3 years ago as a test and my next trip back to York in September I may take an afternoon and do it again.

Now some alternate plans in case it is rainy or dare I say snow (remember April 2016??) include checking out the LONG awaited end result of the Mt Rose Ave interchange, another thought is "retracing" the Susquehanna Trail, the old US 111 up towards Harrisburg and even check out the construction on 83 that should be in final stages around Colonial Park.

I plan to get a poll started soon on the dates, the dates do focus around a time when myself and possibly Steph plan to be in the area (if she can get the time off) I had originally planed to do this in April 2020 or April 2021 but we all pretty much know why I put that on hold. Also we would meet for lunch at 11am at one of the local restaurants in the Shrewsbury area, TBD (There is a Cracker Barrel there but that is bottom of the list)  So any and all feedback and thoughts on the rail trail walk will be taken into consideration.

Thanks everyone! :)
JPI

SSOWorld:
define "Traditional".  Restaurant vs park pavilion?  For your information, car pooling did resume with the QC meet.

A.J. Bertin:
I posted a comment in response to the post on the Roadgeekery group on Facebook, but I figured I'd share a response here as well.

I'm glad to hear that you're looking at hosting this meet!  I am interested in attending, but it's unlikely that I'll be able to go in light of the fact that it will be so close to the timing of when I'll be hosting my Outer Banks gathering in April 2022.  I'm nowhere ready to make my official announcement about that (the announcement probably won't come until late fall or early winter), but I've been thinking that my Outer Banks gathering will take place on either April 23 or April 30.  If it turns out that April 23 is the date you go with for your meet, I'll probably choose April 30 for my meet in case there are folks who might be interested in attending both.  I'm not really a fan of the idea of forcing folks to choose.

jpi:

--- Quote from: SSOWorld on July 11, 2021, 09:34:21 PM ---define "Traditional".  Restaurant vs park pavilion?  For your information, car pooling did resume with the QC meet.

--- End quote ---
I was referring to restaurant, as for car pooling I knew that already.

jpi:
I have now added a poll for the 2 dates mentioned, these are the only dates I can use for this since I will be in central PA that week for other stuff besides the meet. Thanks everyone!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version