Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Reconfiguring toll bridge approaches

<< < (2/2)

jdbx:

--- Quote from: heynow415 on July 21, 2021, 12:48:27 PM ---Unlike the other bridges where there is a single "feeder" freeway to them with a similar number of lanes as the span, the Bay Bridge is an interesting challenge in that, toll plaza aside, there are 11+ lanes coming from three freeways (80, 580, 880) that still have to merge into 5 lanes.  Even if the toll plaza is removed it seems the metering light gantry will need to remain to deal with the merging issue.

--- End quote ---

I'm interested in seeing if the MTC is even developing a plan for toll plaza removal here.  It seems to me that the most cost-effective way of handling this would be to move the tolling gantry past the metering lights to where the approach is already narrowed down to 5 lanes.  That is significantly less equipment to install and maintain vs having it upstream of or even on the same gantry as the metering lights.

In the context of other bridges where there are lane drops right after the toll plaza, I think the same idea should apply:  Place the gantries beyond the lane drop.

At the pace of most projects that the MTC is in charge of, I am guessing it will be several more years before we even see plans, much less any actual construction action.

ran4sh:
It seems like for the Bay Bridge westbound approach, the Oakland interchanges could be reconfigured to avoid having 11+ lanes going toward the bridge, so that the mainline meter signal could then be removed. E.g. have 3 lanes of I-80 WB (I-580 EB), 3 lanes from I-580 WB, and 2 lanes from I-880 WB. One lane each of I-80 WB and I-580 WB could merge before the I-880 ramp. Then when I-880 merges, one of its 2 lanes merges. Resulting in 5 lanes.

jrouse:
Prior to COVID there were already plans in the works for the Bay Area toll bridges to go cashless.  I donít know how far along they were or much in the way of specifics other than that they were going to take a phased approach to it and the Bay Bridge was going to be one of the last because of the challenges with the multiple approaches.   I could check with our team in District 4 to see what the status is.   

I do agree with an earlier poster that the metering lights at the Bay Bridge toll plaza will continue to be an essential part of that operation.  I would expect that there will be fewer lanes to meter though (I believe itís 16 or 17 lanes now).Metering lights have also been in place at San Mateo and Dumbarton although to my knowledge those have never been activated.  I donít see much of a reason to keep them if they decide to reduce the number of lanes at the toll plaza. 

bing101:

--- Quote from: jrouse on July 21, 2021, 04:41:57 PM ---Prior to COVID there were already plans in the works for the Bay Area toll bridges to go cashless.  I donít know how far along they were or much in the way of specifics other than that they were going to take a phased approach to it and the Bay Bridge was going to be one of the last because of the challenges with the multiple approaches.   I could check with our team in District 4 to see what the status is.   

I do agree with an earlier poster that the metering lights at the Bay Bridge toll plaza will continue to be an essential part of that operation.  I would expect that there will be fewer lanes to meter though (I believe itís 16 or 17 lanes now).Metering lights have also been in place at San Mateo and Dumbarton although to my knowledge those have never been activated.  I donít see much of a reason to keep them if they decide to reduce the number of lanes at the toll plaza.

--- End quote ---

I knew Benicia Bridge is one of the toll bridges that is mostly automated to fastrak tolls prior to the COVID-19 pandemic under Caltrans jurisdiction if one is heading northbound on I-680 to Benicia.

jrouse:
All the lanes at the toll plazas on the toll bridges are equipped to handle FasTrak.  Prior to COVID every bridge had at least one dedicated FasTrak only lane at the toll plaza.

Benicia is unique because it has open road tolling (ORT).  There are two FasTrak only lanes and the HOV lane on the left side of the plaza which utilize ORT.  The toll plaza was relocated to the south end of the bridge when they built the new northbound span.  They had already completed work on the new toll plaza when then decided to put in ORT and so they went back and took out about half of the toll booths to create the 2 ORT lanes. 

The only other bridge that has any sort of ORT is the Bay Bridge where the HOV/bus lanes have long bypassed the plaza but they put in an overhead gantry when they implemented tolls for HOVs some years ago.  The HOV lane at Benicia was also designed prior to the implementation of HOV tolling. 

Golden Gate will have ORT when they complete their new gantry.  But on all the other bridges, the FasTrak only lanes pass through a toll booth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version