News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2021 Road Trip Plans

Started by kphoger, July 21, 2021, 06:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Did I miss something?  Is it already July, and nobody has started this topic yet?

What are everyone's plans for this year?

I'm trying to decide between this fall and next fall for a family vacation in Chicago.  For me, this would be the first time I've been in Illinois since 2016.  But that was just a passing-through between here and Tennessee to buy a car.  More importantly, it would be the first time I've set foot in Chicago since 2007.

As for the driving route, it would be the first time I've taken US-36 (CKC) across Missouri.  It's quite possible, in fact, that I've never been on US-36 since the CKC moniker was instituted–not even stopped at Cameron for gas on the way up to Iowa/Minnesota.  So, between Cameron (MO) and the Pittsfield (IL) exit, it would be all new terrain for me.  Also, now that cash on the Chicago-area tollways doesn't seem to be a thing anymore, planning how to get to the hotel would be more difficult.  Only rarely have I ever shunpiked in Chicagoland, and it always used to be because of weekend traffic rather than the tolls themselves.

I do have a question for those of you who live in the Chicago area:  With the recent increase in COVID infections among the unvaccinated, how likely do you think it is that Chicago museums will still be open, say, three months from now?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

I doubt the museums will close again, but that state has started re-instituting travel restrictions from hotspot states.

As for a route, if you're avoiding tolls you can take US 36->I-172->IL 110->I-74->I-80

If you're hotel is downtown, you can use I-80->I-57->I-94.

If you're in a western suburb, you can use I-80->I-55 and then IL 53, IL 83, or LaGrange Rd depending on how far out.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kevinb1994

I have already done trips with family.

One was early in the year for a trip down the St. Johns to a place called Astor in Lake County (though, I should note, it is right on the county line with Volusia). Pretty place.

I have had some serious family stuff recently and upcoming (next month and near the end of the year).

A couple of weddings, to say the least. One in Delaware and one in Staten Island.

Max Rockatansky

I do small scale stuff pretty much every other week.  This Friday I'll be going out hiking on Old CA 1 over Montara Mountain.  On the larger side of things we have a trip to Idaho scheduled for September and for Honolulu in November.  We'll be heading out to southern Oregon again in early August for a hiking trip.

In June we had a big family reunion and road trip in Florida.  Notably my wife was able to knock two National Parks off her list; Everglades and Biscayne.

Roadgeekteen

I might travel somewhere in August I don't know yet.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

One more I forgot...  We are also working on something for Michigan-DC for early October.

TheHighwayMan3561

I just came home from a weekend in Missouri (with dips into Illinois and Kansas). I watched baseball games in KC and STL and clinched several 3dis in both metros (470 in Topeka; 435, 635, 670 in KC; 170, 255, 270 in STL) along with finishing I-70 in KS and MO, and clinching I-172 and US 218.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dlsterner

Thinking of the following:

Early August - three day weekend, western Maryland (Cumberland, Frostburg)
Early September - maybe a week - Outer Banks (NC)
Late December - annual trip to Florida over Christmas & New Year's.

Maybe another one if I feel like it.

Not only for sightseeing, but some roadgeeking as well.  Adding to my clinched highways and counties, improving my "lowest route number not traveled" (currently 135, hope to get to 148).

hbelkins

Once I got a dependable vehicle running, I've done a handful of trips already this year. Most were just day trips, but a couple involved overnight stays.

I've mentioned my big upcoming trip to Montana-Idaho-Utah with my brother that is on tap for next month, but there are a couple of others I want to do, but they may end up waiting until fall. I'm planning on going to check out the new US 35 in West Virginia when it's opened to traffic (I could do that in a day, but will probably make at least one overnight stay out of it). I also want to go out to western Kentucky and see the new KY 80 southern bypass of Mayfield, the reconstructed US 45/Bypass 45 intersection, and the upgraded Bypass 45/Purchase Parkway (I-69) interchange, and might squeeze a jaunt down to Union City to see Tennessee's progress on new I-69 construction while I'm in the area.

I've been trying to work a trip to see what's going on with Kentucky's "Heartland Parkway" corridor and the new Corridor J (TN 52 between Celina and Livingston) alignment, but I keep sleeping in on weekend days and it gets too late for me to venture out when I finally do get up and around.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 21, 2021, 06:37:44 PM
As for a route, if you're avoiding tolls you can take US 36->I-172->IL 110->I-74->I-80

If you're hotel is downtown, you can use I-80->I-57->I-94.

If you're in a western suburb, you can use I-80->I-55 and then IL 53, IL 83, or LaGrange Rd depending on how far out.

I have my eye on a hotel near Rosemont.  So, coming from I-55, I think I'd probably take Route 83 up to Irving Park Road over to Mannheim.  That route has served me well in the past, even during rush hour, starting from around Saint Charles Road.  It's just the part south of about Oakbrook that I'm not so familiar with.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 06:52:03 PM
I have already done trips with family.

One was early in the year for a trip down the St. Johns to a place called Astor in Lake County (though, I should note, it is right on the county line with Volusia). Pretty place.

I have had some serious family stuff recently and upcoming (next month and near the end of the year).

A couple of weddings, to say the least. One in Delaware and one in Staten Island.
Actually, it looks like I won't be driving later this year. Instead, a trip via Amtrak is in lieu. But I don't know which of the two Silver Service trains I'll be taking yet.

JayhawkCO

Actually just decided on this today.  I have a kid on the way due in January, so my ability to do solo trips for a while will be ending.  I had a trip to Laos planned in February, but had to cancel for obvious reasons.  So, I'm going to fly to Philly and then road trip in the Northeast, Quebec, and the Maritimes.  I work remotely, so I'm going to drive longer days on the weekends and then make smaller trips during the week when I'm done with work.

Loose plan right now:

Day 1 (Saturday)
From Philly airport, drive down to Wilmington to clinch I-495 and I-95 in Delaware.
Take I-95 back North all the way to New Haven, then I-91 all the way up to Quebec.
PQ55 North to Drummondville and spend the night.

Day 2 (Sunday)
PQ20 North to Riviere du Loup, then PQ85 into New Brunswick
TCH2 across New Brunswick
TCH104 then NS102 down to Halifax and spend the night

Day 3 (Monday)
NS101, NS103, and NS3 combination (depending on how much time I have) to Lunenburg

Day 4 (Tuesday)
NS103, TCH104, TCH105, and Cabot Trail to Ingonish

Day 5 (Wednesday)
Cabot Trail, TCH104, TCH106 and then the ferry over to PEI.  TCH1 to Charlottetown

Day 6 (Thursday)
TCH1, Confederation Bridge, TCH16, NB95, and I-95 to Bangor

Day 7 (Friday)
I-95 and other interstates down to Portland

Day 8 (Saturday)
I-95, NH101, I-93 to its northern end, U-Turn, I-293, I-93, I-95, I-295 Providence, I-95 to I-195 to finish clinching Rhode Island interstates, and then somehow back to Philly.  Not fully planned out how I want to go since I have most of the rest of the direct way clinched already.

I know that it's a lot of interstate driving which isn't the most exciting, but I haven't been in New England (other than a quick overnight in Boston) since I was 21, and wanted to knock out more of those highways.

If all goes well, I'll visit three new provinces (NB, PEI, and NS), clinch I-91, I-93, I-95 and then completely clinch all interstates in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Delaware.  I'll also get to drive one of my bucket list roads (Cabot Trail) during peak colors.

Any suggestions always appreciated.

Chris

thspfc

Not much in terms of road trips this year for me. The most I've driven in a short period of time was when I went from home to Sheboygan and then up to northwestern WI in late June, about 6 hours one way. I've only been to three states this year, one of which was by plane.

I went to Chicago in February. Got to see the I-39/90 project as it nears completion.

Went to the Milwaukee, Fond du Lac, and Appleton areas once each this spring. Went to Green Bay a couple times.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 21, 2021, 09:44:08 PM
Actually just decided on this today.  I have a kid on the way due in January, so my ability to do solo trips for a while will be ending.  I had a trip to Laos planned in February, but had to cancel for obvious reasons.  So, I'm going to fly to Philly and then road trip in the Northeast, Quebec, and the Maritimes.  I work remotely, so I'm going to drive longer days on the weekends and then make smaller trips during the week when I'm done with work.

Loose plan right now:

Day 1 (Saturday)
From Philly airport, drive down to Wilmington to clinch I-495 and I-95 in Delaware.
Take I-95 back North all the way to New Haven, then I-91 all the way up to Quebec.

Day 2 (Sunday)

Day 3 (Monday)
NS101, NS103, and NS3 combination (depending on how much time I have) to Lunenburg

Day 4 (Tuesday)

Day 5 (Wednesday)
Cabot Trail, TCH104, TCH106 and then the ferry over to PEI.  TCH1 to Charlottetown

Day 6 (Thursday)

Day 7 (Friday)

Day 8 (Saturday)
I-95, NH101, I-93 to its northern end, U-Turn, I-293, I-93, I-95, I-295 Providence, I-95 to I-195 to finish clinching Rhode Island interstates, and then somehow back to Philly.  Not fully planned out how I want to go since I have most of the rest of the direct way clinched already.

I know that it's a lot of interstate driving which isn't the most exciting, but I haven't been in New England (other than a quick overnight in Boston) since I was 21, and wanted to knock out more of those highways.

If all goes well, I'll visit three new provinces (NB, PEI, and NS), clinch I-91, I-93, I-95 and then completely clinch all interstates in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, and Delaware.  I'll also get to drive one of my bucket list roads (Cabot Trail) during peak colors.

Chris
I suggest not taking 95 through Philly and will suggest the NJ Turnpike instead. I mean, you can still do some clinching in Delaware (it is, after all, a small state in both counties and overall size) before you take my suggestion in mind.

New York City's surrounding area is always going to be a cluster- due to just how the infrastructure is where my family is from. I have not been to New Haven in years so no comment.

North of New Haven I also haven't seen in years. No comment.

Boston I haven't seen but I have been through Providence but not in years. No comment.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 09:52:16 PM
I suggest not taking 95 through Philly and will suggest the NJ Turnpike instead. I mean, you can still do some clinching in Delaware (it is, after all, a small state in both counties and overall size) before you take my suggestion in mind.

New York City's surrounding area is always going to be a cluster- due to just how the infrastructure is where my family is from. I have not been to New Haven in years so no comment.

Boston I haven't seen but I have been through Providence but not in years. No comment.

I've been on the NJTP before though and have never been on I-95 in Pennsylvania, so shitty or not, I gotta drive it sometime if I want to clinch all of the interstates (this trip should put me somewhere near 70%).

I know NYC is going to suck traffic-wise, but that's also why I'm driving it on a weekend.  I know it's probably still bad on Saturdays, but I won't have to deal with any traditional rush hour.  If anyone has any suggestions on which way to go (to clinch interstate mileage) that isn't I-95, I'm all ears.  I'm thinking of maybe I-278 from beginning to end, but haven't 100% decided.

Chris

kevinb1994

I have a longer-than-usual drive to the BMW dealership in Daytona this Friday. Reason is that one of the roads around here chewed up some of the tires on the Z4,

Potholes suck. Good news is that the drive will make it (hopefully) easier to kick back and relax. But this is Florida, where the potentially worst can and will happen.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 21, 2021, 10:01:58 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 09:52:16 PM

I've been on the NJTP before though and have never been on I-95 in Pennsylvania, so shitty or not, I gotta drive it sometime if I want to clinch all of the interstates (this trip should put me somewhere near 70%).

I know NYC is going to suck traffic-wise, but that's also why I'm driving it on a weekend.  I know it's probably still bad on Saturdays, but I won't have to deal with any traditional rush hour.  If anyone has any suggestions on which way to go (to clinch interstate mileage) that isn't I-95, I'm all ears.  I'm thinking of maybe I-278 from beginning to end, but haven't 100% decided.

Chris
278 is worse. Bumper to bumper in Brooklyn (never took it through Queens). Try driving around via 287 or 84 (via 87). Don't try driving the parkways,

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 10:07:15 PM
278 is worse. Bumper to bumper in Brooklyn (never took it through Queens). Try driving around via 287 or 84 (via 87). Don't try driving the parkways,

Similarly. I've already driven that route too, when avoiding the blackout in 2003.  I want/have to drive them sometime.

Chris

vdeane

278 is fun when it moves, especially westbound on the BQE.  Sadly, it's not moving more often than it is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NWI_Irish96

The big trip for the year for me was a family trip in June to New England. Other than CT, I'd never been to any of the New England states so this brought my total up to 48. Got my kids' total up to 28. With family in tow, I didn't have a lot of leeway to deviate from the fastest path for road clinching purposes, but did manage to get good chunks of I-76 in OH; I-95 in NY, CT, and RI; US 6 in MA; I-95 in MA, NH, ME; and I-90 in NY, OH; along with some stretches of US and state highways.

My solo trips are focused on finishing off the Indiana state highway system. I've reached the point where what I need to cover is too far away for day trips, so I've resorted to overnight trips.

My first one was in May, covering the far SW corner of the state, which got me the last 3 county seats I hadn't been to yet.

Have one planned for two weeks from now, covering what I have left in the SE corner of the state.

That will leave me one trip back to the SW, where most of what I'm missing is between Terre Haute and Oakland City.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Loose plan right now:

Day 1 (Saturday)

Day 2 (Sunday)

Day 3 (Monday)

Day 4 (Tuesday)

Day 5 (Wednesday)

Day 6 (Thursday)

Day 7 (Friday)

Day 8 (Saturday)

Chris
When is this, exactly?  I thought the border isn't opening until sometime in August.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

I took a trip down to Georgia and back, back at the end of June.  3 days, about 2,500 miles or so.  Visited Guilford Courthouse NMP and Ocmulgee Mounds NHP.  Clinched 37 new counties, bringing me up to 1,776.

Have a 3-day trip to WV at the beginning of next week to do some hiking in the Dolly Sods/Seneca Rocks area.

Then, at the end of August, I have a 3-day trip meandering through PA, OH, MI and hopefully driving across Ontario on my way back if I can figure out timing the testing correctly.

Finally, I am hoping to get to Chicago at some point in the fall and maybe a little trip to Knoebels in PA with my son before the end of the summer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2021, 07:52:15 AM

Loose plan right now:

Day 1 (Saturday)

Day 2 (Sunday)

Day 3 (Monday)

Day 4 (Tuesday)

Day 5 (Wednesday)

Day 6 (Thursday)

Day 7 (Friday)

Day 8 (Saturday)

Chris
When is this, exactly?  I thought the border isn't opening until sometime in August.

Beginning of October.  Trying to time it for peak fall colors (at least on Cape Breton).

Chris

oscar

You'll need to check whether your entry into those provinces will be allowed, even if the border is reopened. For example:

QuoteUSA/International travellers

Travellers entering New Brunswick from the United States or other international locations outside of North America, and whose travel has been approved by Canada Border Services Agency must also receive approval to enter New Brunswick.

See https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/travel.html for more details.

I'm not sure there are any showstopper requirements, at least for New Brunswick (haven't checked PEI and NS). But you'll need to at least register at least a few days in advance, to get provincial government approval. You'll also need to apply in advance with CBSA to get cleared to cross the border, but I don't know how much overlap there is between the federal and provincial registration requirements.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 06:25:46 PM
I do have a question for those of you who live in the Chicago area:  With the recent increase in COVID infections among the unvaccinated, how likely do you think it is that Chicago museums will still be open, say, three months from now?

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 21, 2021, 06:37:44 PM
I doubt the museums will close again, but that state has started re-instituting travel restrictions from hotspot states.

I've seen that Chicago is reinstating travel restrictions, but only for unvaccinated people.

What state-level restrictions are being put in place?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.