Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Why wasn't the I-355 extension to I-57 more seriously considered?

<< < (8/9) > >>

ilpt4u:

--- Quote from: Crash_It on September 06, 2021, 11:21:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: captkirk_4 on September 06, 2021, 11:48:11 AM ---What do you expect in Illinois, they can't get anything done.

--- End quote ---

Doesn't look like you get out much

IL390 Extension - Done ✅
I255 rehab - Done ✅
Jane Byrne interchange is now showing significant progress - ✔️

And possibly alot more than this but can't remember from the top of my head.

--- End quote ---
Hard to say the IL 390 Extension is “done” - the Eastern extension is built, but not “done” per se, until I-490 is done, and even then, not really until the Western ORD terminal is built, because IL 390 will be to the West what I-190 is to the current ORD terminals. The Western Extension to (theoretically) meet the US 20 Elgin Freeway is still a maybe. Of course, it took ISTHA taking over the former Elgin-O’Hare Expressway/Now IL 390 Tollway and instituting Tolls to get the Eastern Extension built

The Rehab on I-255 is nice, but it was mostly done with asphalt paving. Granted, the Metro East and SoIL doesn’t get the same level of snow and cold as NoIL and Chicagoland, but asphalt paved roadways still seem to not hold up quite as well as concrete, IMO. We’ll see

US20IL64:
490 may relieve truck traffic that clogs up the 290/53 cloverleaf, hopefully.

Big thing needed is rebuilding I80 bridge and Ike/290 [no it should not be I88] re-do in near west burbs.

paulthemapguy:
This is treading into Fictional territory, but I thought I would post my map for my idea of what the I-355 extension would look like.  https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=13MAHkPkSIcxAy22UHny3Uhdye2M&usp=sharing

ChiMilNet:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 07, 2021, 10:22:45 AM ---This is treading into Fictional territory, but I thought I would post my map for my idea of what the I-355 extension would look like.  https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=13MAHkPkSIcxAy22UHny3Uhdye2M&usp=sharing

--- End quote ---

Too bad it's getting into fictional territory, because I really like the layout of not only the I-57 extension, but also the Fox Valley Expressway. That said, it's a small miracle that I-355 was even extended to I-80. At this point, the only realistic "extension" of I-355 would be to reroute it over the I-290 portion North of its current North Terminus. Illinois not locking up ROW for I-355 South of I-80 pretty much sealed its fate.

abefroman329:

--- Quote from: ilpt4u on September 07, 2021, 01:46:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Crash_It on September 06, 2021, 11:21:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: captkirk_4 on September 06, 2021, 11:48:11 AM ---What do you expect in Illinois, they can't get anything done.

--- End quote ---

Doesn't look like you get out much

IL390 Extension - Done ✅
I255 rehab - Done ✅
Jane Byrne interchange is now showing significant progress - ✔️

And possibly alot more than this but can't remember from the top of my head.

--- End quote ---
Hard to say the IL 390 Extension is “done” - the Eastern extension is built, but not “done” per se, until I-490 is done, and even then, not really until the Western ORD terminal is built, because IL 390 will be to the West what I-190 is to the current ORD terminals. The Western Extension to (theoretically) meet the US 20 Elgin Freeway is still a maybe. Of course, it took ISTHA taking over the former Elgin-O’Hare Expressway/Now IL 390 Tollway and instituting Tolls to get the Eastern Extension built

The Rehab on I-255 is nice, but it was mostly done with asphalt paving. Granted, the Metro East and SoIL doesn’t get the same level of snow and cold as NoIL and Chicagoland, but asphalt paved roadways still seem to not hold up quite as well as concrete, IMO. We’ll see

--- End quote ---
I don't know that the Western Terminal is still in the works and I don't know if there are still plans to extend IL-390 east of I-490. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version