Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Why wasn't the I-355 extension to I-57 more seriously considered?

<< < (2/14) > >>

I-39:

--- Quote from: Rick Powell on July 22, 2021, 01:01:39 PM ---There was once a corridor that connected to I-80 somewhere west of the US 30 interchange that was included in New Lenox's land use plan. The corridor disappeared somewhere in the early 2010s.

--- End quote ---

Really is a shame this wasn’t built.

SkyPesos:
Maybe not to I-57, but would be nice if there were space reserved for a southern extension to a completed Illiana Expy. From the Illiana, it can provide access to I-57, and hopefully I-65 too.

hobsini2:

--- Quote from: Brandon on July 22, 2021, 12:40:21 PM ---There’s a residential subdivision in the way at the south end that shouldn’t have been allowed to be built.

--- End quote ---

That residential area dates back to at least the early 1990s if not earlier.  I had a friend who lived in that subdivision.

edwaleni:
I remember when ISTHA designed the I-355 Extension to I-80.

It had very few exits and a beautifully designed bridge over the Des Plaines River.

After all that is what the locals wanted, no traffic from the tollway in their neighborhoods so ISTHA complied.

Then the politicians got involved. Ramps were suddenly put back in and the county had to help pay for them.

ISTHA took away that suspension bridge and had it rebid as a design build. Now you have the ugliest pre-stressed concrete bridge with absolutely no aesthetic value whatsoever.

Basically a low bid design that is 100% functional, but is 100% forgettable.

As for going farther, that proposal was to please some Will County politicos but it never went anywhere.

If anything gets built in Illinois uncertain & broke future, it would be a connector from I-80 in Morris and cross I-55 and I-57 and end somewhere near the future airport. And it will be a toll road.

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on July 23, 2021, 04:24:18 PM ---If anything gets built in Illinois uncertain & broke future, it would be a connector from I-80 in Morris and cross I-55 and I-57 and end somewhere near the future airport. And it will be a toll road.

--- End quote ---
The Houbolt Road toll bridge over the Des Plaines River is under construction. I-80 widening through Joliet is under design, with some pieces under construction. And a new interchange at I-57 near the South Suburban Airport appears lined up for a federal earmark in the upcoming infrastructure bill. Those are the tangible new/expansion projects I see in the area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version