Regional Boards > Mountain West

I-25 Albuquerque Rebuild

(1/4) > >>

abqtraveler:
The reconstruction and widening of I-25 through Albuquerque has been in the works for many years. Over the past decade, several projects have been completed, including:

I-25/Paseo Del Norte interchange reconstruction
Added travel lane between Jefferson Blvd and Alameda Blvd
Reconstruction of the I-25/Rio Bravo interchange
Added travel lane between Sunport Blvd and NM-47 near the Isleta Pueblo

Next up:  Reconstructing and widening I-25 between Comanche Rd. and Montgomery Blvd. This project is estimated at $100 million, with construction projected to start in 2023.

And NMDOT is currently planning to reconstruct I-25 in the vicinity of Gibson Blvd starting in 2027 (hopefully they'll eliminate the dreaded S-curve between Central Ave and Avenida Cesar Chavez at that time).

https://www.abqjournal.com/2418501/100m-i25-project-aims-to-ease-bottlenecks-ex-interchanges-with-both-montgomery-and-comanche-targeted.html

DJStephens:
The S curve S of the Lead/Coal couplet should have been addressed - at the same time as the Big I reconstruction of '00-'02.  At least 15 million was wasted - to elevate 25 over Lomas Blvd, on a replacement bridge, to connect to the ancient late fifties elevated section over Central Ave.   This is whats known as a "throwaway improvement".  The entire 25 mainline - needs to be depressed, widened, and decked over in the Central / Lead / Coal environs.   The property E of the mainline - in the S curve vicinity, believe is owned by APS and needs to be relocated.   There does appear to be room, in fact, to have a eight to ten lane depressed facility, with parallel one way frontages on each side, at grade, in this Lomas / Central / Lead / Coal environ.   

abqtraveler:

--- Quote from: DJStephens on September 26, 2021, 12:23:48 PM ---The S curve S of the Lead/Coal couplet should have been addressed - at the same time as the Big I reconstruction of '00-'02.  At least 15 million was wasted - to elevate 25 over Lomas Blvd, on a replacement bridge, to connect to the ancient late fifties elevated section over Central Ave.   This is whats known as a "throwaway improvement".  The entire 25 mainline - needs to be depressed, widened, and decked over in the Central / Lead / Coal environs.   The property E of the mainline - in the S curve vicinity, believe is owned by APS and needs to be relocated.   There does appear to be room, in fact, to have a eight to ten lane depressed facility, with parallel one way frontages on each side, at grade, in this Lomas / Central / Lead / Coal environ.

--- End quote ---

And from what I'm seeing, it looks like NMDOT is going to take a very piecemeal approach to dealing with the S-curve. The first project will permanently close the NB offramp to MLK Boulevard and extend the lane from the Lead/Coal onramp to the Lomas exit. Next will be the reconstruction of the I-25/Gibson interchange. I don't know how they're planning to functionally improve the Gibson interchange given there are two cemeteries on opposite sides that butt up right against the ramps. One of the concepts I saw had braided ramps between Sunport Blvd and Lead/Coal that includes the interchanges with Gibson and Cesar Chavez.

rarnold:

--- Quote from: DJStephens on September 26, 2021, 12:23:48 PM ---The S curve S of the Lead/Coal couplet should have been addressed - at the same time as the Big I reconstruction of '00-'02.  At least 15 million was wasted - to elevate 25 over Lomas Blvd, on a replacement bridge, to connect to the ancient late fifties elevated section over Central Ave.   This is whats known as a "throwaway improvement".  The entire 25 mainline - needs to be depressed, widened, and decked over in the Central / Lead / Coal environs.   The property E of the mainline - in the S curve vicinity, believe is owned by APS and needs to be relocated.   There does appear to be room, in fact, to have a eight to ten lane depressed facility, with parallel one way frontages on each side, at grade, in this Lomas / Central / Lead / Coal environ.   

--- End quote ---

Another problem with not having a viable bypass route to divert traffic to during a project.

DJStephens:
The only parallel street in the vicinity is Broadway, to the west.   Frankly would get APS out of there, build "temporary" frontages, and then start the utility relocations, then start the trench.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version