Regional Boards > Mountain West

I-25 Albuquerque Rebuild

<< < (2/5) > >>

abqtraveler:

--- Quote from: rarnold on October 20, 2021, 10:53:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: DJStephens on September 26, 2021, 12:23:48 PM ---The S curve S of the Lead/Coal couplet should have been addressed - at the same time as the Big I reconstruction of '00-'02.  At least 15 million was wasted - to elevate 25 over Lomas Blvd, on a replacement bridge, to connect to the ancient late fifties elevated section over Central Ave.   This is whats known as a "throwaway improvement".  The entire 25 mainline - needs to be depressed, widened, and decked over in the Central / Lead / Coal environs.   The property E of the mainline - in the S curve vicinity, believe is owned by APS and needs to be relocated.   There does appear to be room, in fact, to have a eight to ten lane depressed facility, with parallel one way frontages on each side, at grade, in this Lomas / Central / Lead / Coal environ.   

--- End quote ---

Another problem with not having a viable bypass route to divert traffic to during a project.

--- End quote ---
They should build a westside bypass of I-25 that runs along the West Mesa from Bernalillo or Algodones in the north to Isleta in the south. In fact, there were proposals back in the late '60s to construct a beltway around ABQ. Portions of Tramway, Paseo Del Norte and Paseo Del Volcan were built as elements of that beltway concept. The idea at the time was the beltway would have been built out in stages as money became available.

While recent development in the Albuquerque foothills has effectively killed any chance of Tramway being upgraded to a full freeway, the Paseo Del Volcan portion is still on the table. Maybe within my lifetime I'll see such a westside bypass be fully built out.

DJStephens:
Suspect Coors Blvd was once viewed as the W section of that long dead beltway idea.  The original I-40 / Coors interchange (1961) had some elements that hinted at limited access extensions both N and S along Coors, that of course never happened.   It's replacement (2003) struggled to fit into an area that had literally become overwhelmed by growth.   
Too much tribalism, and fiefdoms for something like a beltway to ever happen.   If by some miracle, it could happen, would run it from just W of the S I-25 Rio Grande Bridge, curving in an arc to meet I-40 at the hypothetical full stack at I-40.   Then following Paseo del Volcan alignment to the NNE, finally reaching I-25 again in Bernalillo.   Interstate 425.   

abqtraveler:

--- Quote from: DJStephens on November 01, 2021, 08:06:45 AM ---Suspect Coors Blvd was once viewed as the W section of that long dead beltway idea.  The original I-40 / Coors interchange (1961) had some elements that hinted at limited access extensions both N and S along Coors, that of course never happened.   It's replacement (2003) struggled to fit into an area that had literally become overwhelmed by growth.   
Too much tribalism, and fiefdoms for something like a beltway to ever happen.   If by some miracle, it could happen, would run it from just W of the S I-25 Rio Grande Bridge, curving in an arc to meet I-40 at the hypothetical full stack at I-40.   Then following Paseo del Volcan alignment to the NNE, finally reaching I-25 again in Bernalillo.   Interstate 425.   

--- End quote ---
That's exactly what I would envision, and the state already owns the ROW from I-40 to US-550 for the proposed Northwest Loop (aka Paseo Del Volcan). The trouble will be in securing the ROW south of I-40 and north of US-550, as any freeway would cut through Native American land and land that's part of the old Spanish land grants.

aboges26:

--- Quote from: abqtraveler on November 01, 2021, 03:39:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: DJStephens on November 01, 2021, 08:06:45 AM ---Suspect Coors Blvd was once viewed as the W section of that long dead beltway idea.  The original I-40 / Coors interchange (1961) had some elements that hinted at limited access extensions both N and S along Coors, that of course never happened.   It's replacement (2003) struggled to fit into an area that had literally become overwhelmed by growth.   

--- End quote ---
That's exactly what I would envision, and the state already owns the ROW from I-40 to US-550 for the proposed Northwest Loop (aka Paseo Del Volcan). The trouble will be in securing the ROW south of I-40 and north of US-550, as any freeway would cut through Native American land and land that's part of the old Spanish land grants.

--- End quote ---

The Northwest Loop and Paseo del Volcan are two completely different roads / proposed roads.  Both exist as stubs off of US 550 but the Northwest Loop is planned to parallel Paseo del Volcan to the west of the West Mesa and will have an interchange with I-40 just to the east of exit 140 / the Rio Puerco bridge.

DJStephens:

--- Quote from: aboges26 on November 11, 2021, 03:30:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: abqtraveler on November 01, 2021, 03:39:03 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The Northwest Loop and Paseo del Volcan are two completely different roads / proposed roads.  Both exist as stubs off of US 550 but the Northwest Loop is planned to parallel Paseo del Volcan to the west of the West Mesa and will have an interchange with I-40 just to the east of exit 140 / the Rio Puerco bridge.

--- End quote ---
Unser Blvd is yet another "quasi" expressway that could have been more.  So neither NW Loop or Paseo del Volcan are envisioned to have a true limited access build out?   Stub outs, sounds like a future at grade intersection, that will be smothered by growth.  Not surprising.  Probably impossible, with today's mentalities, but would construct a Freeway segment directly atop US 550 / NM 44 to properly connect to I-25.  Six lanes, MSE walls, elevated, with parallel frontages.  Have not been up there in years, know that there was some type of scoping, at one point, to re-construct the US 550 / NM 44 interchange with I-25.  It likely was scaled back or was back-burnered.   Again, not surprising.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version