GAO in 1970: I-180 in Illinois Should Not Have Been Approved

Started by Mapmikey, August 17, 2021, 09:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Apologies if this is on the forum somewhere but I searched around and found nothing, plus Interstate Guide doesn't have this either...

In 1970, the GAO looked into the approval of several interstate segments outside the traditional scoring process.

Only I-180 was judged to fail the smell test.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=ien.35556021153556&view=1up&seq=1&skin=2021

Shows Illinois wanted to make this part of I-55 (using current I-155 plus more freeway).  Nobody else was on board...

I-180 hate is justified and government approved!

The Ghostbuster

Would a two-lane highway along the 180 corridor have been sufficient? Or should there have been no road at all?

Jac_00b

(Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this) I'm pretty sure it was made for a steel mill... which closed shortly after it was built. Even if the steel mill was still open, it probably wouldn't of had enough traffic to support an interstate anyway though. There's also a big interchange with Highway 29, which was also a big waste. I think I remember hearing that they wanted to tear it down a few years ago, but it seems like that fell through. So overall just a big waste of money that could have gone to funding much more important interstates.
First, you need to acquire funding. The only problem is that there is none, and there will be none for at least 30 years.

SEWIGuy

And it's a fascinating creature for road geeks and Illinois politics.
I had wanted to do a 180 thread so thanks. It also fits well with Illinois Freeway history.
The report mentions the first routing of 39. It went by Dixon then right through the steel  plant to what is now 155 and down 121 to Decatur.

The more well known supplemental freeway system that included a 180 extension was a cover from Illinois to FHWA to avoid the above report.

Illinois tried to use it for the CKC but it would only save 10 miles off the current route.
The Peoria Chicago study found it longer than 74 55.
IDOT came up with a local justification in 2009 but all they have is the EIS on the website
Oh well it's endless gun for road geeks.

DJ Particle

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 17, 2021, 09:14:05 PM
Shows Illinois wanted to make this part of I-55 (using current I-155 plus more freeway).

Likely also IL-6

Max Rockatansky

I-180 is most interesting freeway in Illinois outside of Chicago.  Total bore to drive until you find out it's strange history. 

kkt

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 17, 2021, 10:13:09 PM
Would a two-lane highway along the 180 corridor have been sufficient? Or should there have been no road at all?

It would have been cheaper to build it as a 4-lane divided expressway with at-grade intersections and the old IL-71 bridge across the Illinois River at Hennepin would have been due for replacement eventually, though IMO a 2-lane bridge with wide shoulders would have sufficed.  There's been proposals over the years to upgrade IL-29 from IL-6 north of Peoria to I-180 to expressway standards, though nothing has come of it.

Avalanchez71

Looks like a palm or two was greased back in the day.  That is rich that they were willing to realign I-55 to the area just for this steel mill. 

The EIS IDOT  did said IL 6 has independent utility and there was no justification to connecting to 180. But that was over a decade after they got 180 . Then months nineties there was a failed push for a Peoria Chicago road. Then they tried Illinois 29 . I think that was to appease Ray  LaHood. With his fall from grace it has gone nowhere.

I wonder about the obsession with one steel plant in an era of lots of manufacturing.
I have that company's annual report from 1973. They thought the skyscraper boom was just beginning and thought their was a huge need. I wonder if the state thought this would be a location for even more steel.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Jac_00b on August 17, 2021, 10:19:40 PM
(Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this) I'm pretty sure it was made for a steel mill... which closed shortly after it was built.

That mill opened and closed several times between the completion of I-180 and now.  I think it really is only the portion east of the directional Y interchange that was 'justified' by the presence of the steel plant.  The rest was a toe-hold for a freeway corridor along the Illinois River down to Peoria, as others have stated.

So when people say I-180 was built "just for the steel mill" that's imprecise. 
I-180 is two different boondoggles stitched together; an indirect, redundant highway corridor for Peoria-Chicago and a big handout to a private company to get a little spur across the river.
The only positive about the over-capacity bridge is there was a need to replace the narrow, old cantilever bridge for IL 26 with something better.  Of course, I-180 was way overkill, but I suppose it was part of the rationale.

I imagine in the future as the overpasses for I-180 reach the end of their life spans, the interchanges and grade separations will be torn out and the facility downgraded.  They would also be justified in abandoning one of the carriageways and turn it into a two-lane highway and naturally, retiring the interstate designation.  The abandoned carriageway might make an interesting bike trail under this scenario.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The report said it was for the steel mill. It was the FHWA that used a redundant road to Peoria as a fig leaf. FHWA just told IDOT  that some sort of 4 lane would suffice noting it was 4 lanes to Chillicothe at the time.
This report puts everything in order.
Except why Kerner was so obsessed with the steel mill. He did end up in jail ....so...

Rick Powell

The I-180 over the IL River is being rehabbed as we speak with a new deck. They are putting in those tall slanted barrier walls, still 4 lanes, and still with fairly narrow shoulders so that it's not really overkill and could potentially be converted to a 2-lane with wide shoulders at some point. The J&L plant was shuttered and then removed after several failed attempts, but its traffic has been somewhat replaced by the large Marquis ethanol plant just to the north.

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 18, 2021, 11:45:40 AM
Quote from: Jac_00b on August 17, 2021, 10:19:40 PM
(Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this) I'm pretty sure it was made for a steel mill... which closed shortly after it was built.

That mill opened and closed several times between the completion of I-180 and now.  I think it really is only the portion east of the directional Y interchange that was 'justified' by the presence of the steel plant.  The rest was a toe-hold for a freeway corridor along the Illinois River down to Peoria, as others have stated.

So when people say I-180 was built "just for the steel mill" that's imprecise. 
I-180 is two different boondoggles stitched together; an indirect, redundant highway corridor for Peoria-Chicago and a big handout to a private company to get a little spur across the river.
The only positive about the over-capacity bridge is there was a need to replace the narrow, old cantilever bridge for IL 26 with something better.  Of course, I-180 was way overkill, but I suppose it was part of the rationale.

I imagine in the future as the overpasses for I-180 reach the end of their life spans, the interchanges and grade separations will be torn out and the facility downgraded.  They would also be justified in abandoning one of the carriageways and turn it into a two-lane highway and naturally, retiring the interstate designation.  The abandoned carriageway might make an interesting bike trail under this scenario.

In that scenario I-180 would probably become a rerouted IL-29, an extension of IL-71 or IL-180 if the existing IL-180 is renumbered.

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 18, 2021, 12:34:28 AM
I-180 is most interesting freeway in Illinois outside of Chicago.  Total bore to drive until you find out it's strange history.

How is it a bore? Very hilly scenery along with IL71.

It's not a bore. At one time during lockdown the only congestion showing in state was the bridge work Rick Powell pointed out.
For Chicago area road geeks you could saw drive to 180 to Peoria. Maybe the 24 junction because that is the road being 4 laned...maybe do it when that starts and go back 74 55 to compare time and distance yourself.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Crash_It on August 18, 2021, 04:56:17 PM

Just having a few hills doesn't automatically make a road scenic or memorable.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 18, 2021, 05:31:50 PM

Agreed.  A little scenic perhaps, but that's not the opposite of 'boring'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 18, 2021, 05:31:50 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on August 18, 2021, 04:56:17 PM
I-180 is most interesting freeway in Illinois outside of Chicago.  Total bore to drive until you find out it’s strange history.

More than a few hills.

https://youtu.be/eyA8zXxOiis

Plus I filmed further down IL71 which will be released in a future video. Didn't film the 180 section yet but I will be sure to do so the next time I'm in that area. It is very scenic.

EDIT: here's an I180 video from another YouTuber until I can get out there

https://youtu.be/4iPWc449_68

Henry

I saw that at one point, a proposal was made to reroute I-55 through Peoria and Hennepin instead of following the then-existing US 66 corridor. I'm thinking it would've had to make an awkward turn back east just to make it to Chicago, and an I-55W split ending at I-80 would've made more sense.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Compared to the rest of central Illinois, I-180 is scenic as hell!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 19, 2021, 11:33:28 AM
Compared to the rest of central Illinois, I-180 is scenic as hell!

It wouldn't be central Illinois since it runs through Bureau and Putnam Counties. Those are still considered part of Northern Illinois.

It was the Kerner curve. It's months report. It was one of the extremes he went to to get that steel mill . The report notes Illinois has made a commitment from Kerner to the company.
So many parts of Illinois Highway history converge omnibus road. Btw Hennipen is one of the few towns with a population increase in Illinois this census.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.