Regional Boards > Mountain West

ADOT approves final route for the Pinal County north-south freeway

(1/3) > >>

KeithE4Phx:
It will start at US 60, roughly where the Superstition Freeway ends (it's a normal 4 lane highway east of there), meandering through Pinal County to the east of AZ 79 and Florence, finally paralleling AZ 87 to its east, ending at I-10 just east of Eloy. 

They've been calling it the Pinal North-South Freeway, but I'm sure it'll eventually be named for some politician that doesn't deserve it.  :no:

The currently under construction Gateway Freeway, AZ 24, will also be extended to meet it.

https://azdot.gov/adot-news/adot-selects-final-north-south-corridor-route-pinal-county

kdk:
I hadn't heard much about this freeway in the past 10 years, assumed it was pushed back indefinitely when the housing planned in that corridor never materialized.

Glad to see it moving forward, a more direct connection between the eastern part of the East Valley and Tucson is certainly needed even today.  Having to either backtrack towards I-10 or taking two lane rural roads is tough from Mesa, Gilbert, etc.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: kdk on August 24, 2021, 04:01:42 PM ---I hadn't heard much about this freeway in the past 10 years, assumed it was pushed back indefinitely when the housing planned in that corridor never materialized.

Glad to see it moving forward, a more direct connection between the eastern part of the East Valley and Tucson is certainly needed even today.  Having to either backtrack towards I-10 or taking two lane rural roads is tough from Mesa, Gilbert, etc.

--- End quote ---

AZ 87 (whatís left it) is kind of a slog but I didnít think US 60 and AZ 79 were too bad of a detour for east valley locations.  Despite the freeway corridor being needed I find it far fetched to envision Coolridge and Florence being consuming by outward urban sprawl from Phoenix. 

KeithE4Phx:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2021, 04:11:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: kdk on August 24, 2021, 04:01:42 PM ---I hadn't heard much about this freeway in the past 10 years, assumed it was pushed back indefinitely when the housing planned in that corridor never materialized.

--- End quote ---

AZ 87 (whatís left it) is kind of a slog but I didnít think US 60 and AZ 79 were too bad of a detour for east valley locations.  Despite the freeway corridor being needed I find it far fetched to envision Coolridge and Florence being consuming by outward urban sprawl from Phoenix.
--- End quote ---

Right now, the fastest/safest routes for Mesa to/from Tucson are 60/79 during the day (79 is dangerous at night due to idiots trying to pass where they shouldn't), and I-10 to AZ 87 to AZ 287 to Attaway Rd, and through San Tan Valley to Ellsworth Rd at night.  The alternative is taking the 10 to the 202 around Chandler and Gilbert, which is miles out of the way, not to mention one of the most boring drives in the country.

This freeway will be a godsend if/when it ever gets built.  I hope I'm still around when it opens.

howlincoyote2k1:

--- Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 24, 2021, 07:42:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2021, 04:11:02 PM ---

--- End quote ---

AZ 87 (what’s left it) is kind of a slog but I didn’t think US 60 and AZ 79 were too bad of a detour for east valley locations.  Despite the freeway corridor being needed I find it far fetched to envision Coolridge and Florence being consuming by outward urban sprawl from Phoenix.
--- End quote ---

Right now, the fastest/safest routes for Mesa to/from Tucson are 60/79 during the day (79 is dangerous at night due to idiots trying to pass where they shouldn't), and I-10 to AZ 87 to AZ 287 to Attaway Rd, and through San Tan Valley to Ellsworth Rd at night.  The alternative is taking the 10 to the 202 around Chandler and Gilbert, which is miles out of the way, not to mention one of the most boring drives in the country.

This freeway will be a godsend if/when it ever gets built.  I hope I'm still around when it opens.

--- End quote ---

That freeway is sorely needed, especially (as you stated) with the far East Valley being such a pain to get to from points east on I-10.

79 needs to be 4-laned ASAP as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version