Freeway bypasses that are as short or shorter than the main 2di

Started by skluth, August 25, 2021, 07:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on August 27, 2021, 12:06:02 AM
I-215 in SoCal's Inland Empire is 6 miles shorter than I-15 from where they split to where they rejoin.

Similarly, I-805 in San Diego is 2 miles shorter than I-5.

I wouldn't call I-215 a bypass for I-15; both extend through major populated areas.  215 does go through the centers of the older regional cities (Riverside, San Bernardino), while 15 itself connects cities considered more suburbs (Corona, Ontario, Fontana) than original regional mainstays cited above -- with the distinguishing features large and newer housing tracts plus massive industrial/warehousing facilities.  But then the northern portion of 215 (north of I-10) was the original route of I-15 prior to 1972; not surprising since downtown San Bernardino straddles 215; it was until recent years the largest incorporated city in the Inland Empire (long since surpassed by both Riverside and Corona). 

mrsman

Quote from: sparker on August 27, 2021, 04:13:43 AM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on August 27, 2021, 12:06:02 AM
I-215 in SoCal's Inland Empire is 6 miles shorter than I-15 from where they split to where they rejoin.

Similarly, I-805 in San Diego is 2 miles shorter than I-5.

I wouldn't call I-215 a bypass for I-15; both extend through major populated areas.  215 does go through the centers of the older regional cities (Riverside, San Bernardino), while 15 itself connects cities considered more suburbs (Corona, Ontario, Fontana) than original regional mainstays cited above -- with the distinguishing features large and newer housing tracts plus massive industrial/warehousing facilities.  But then the northern portion of 215 (north of I-10) was the original route of I-15 prior to 1972; not surprising since downtown San Bernardino straddles 215; it was until recent years the largest incorporated city in the Inland Empire (long since surpassed by both Riverside and Corona).

The I-215* routing between Devore and Murietta is shorter than I-15.  If the thread is to highlight 3dis shorter than their partents, than it qualifies.  If the thread is to highlight bypasses shorter than thru-city routes, then it doesn't qualify.

In that sense, how would we treat I-376 through Pittsburgh?  It's a 3di, but absolutely goes through the city center, while I-76 on the Penn Turnpike is the bypass.  Between Big Beaver and Monroeville I-76 is absoultely shorter and its the bypass, but it's also the 2di, while I-376 goes through the city and takes quite a bit longer in distance and time.  Not an entry for this thread, IMO.

*Another factoid, in my thinking is that I-15 was routed through eastern Ontario and not San Bernardino since it was closer to L.A. (making it easier for folks heading from Vegas to LA to stay on I-15 until I-10) and the I-15 freeway between Devore and Murittea was finished as a full freeway before the I-215 routing.  I-215 alongside March AFB in southern Riverside was an expressway and not interstate standard for a long time.  With that being the case, the 2di needs to be routed on the route that was a completed freeway first.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.