News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Small Clinch Gaps

Started by ethanhopkin14, September 01, 2021, 05:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Not just and interstate entry, but they seem to be the most common on this topic.

Related to the subject of interstates you are the furthest/closest to clinching, I was wondering how many of you have a gap in a highway that is big enough to keep you from clinching a highway, or part of a highway, but small enough that if you don't think about it, you forget.  Also small enough that you may not be able to ever close that gap. 

I thought about this because I lack a gap between US-191 and UT-128 on I-70 that keeps me from saying I have been on I-70 from Cove Fort, UT to Salina, KS.  I honestly don't know if I will every be able to close that gap. 

bassoon1986

One that annoys me is the last mile or so at the terminus of US 171 in Lake Charles. I have everything down to I-10 but not the part where it ends at LA 14. I'm at 99.5% without it.

iPhone

JayhawkCO

When posting in the other threads, I kind of forgot that I hadn't been on all of I-55 in Illinois, missing the last 8 miles.  I also every once in a while forget I haven't been on I-74 from Springfield to Galesburg costing me the clinch of the "main" I-74.

Chris

Rothman

I am well aware of the gaps and therefore my answer is no to the OP's question.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

I am missing two blocks of WA-9 and its spur route in Sumas, WA, because they have no signed turnaround at the border crossing.

ethanhopkin14

I should point out that also from Salina, KS to east of Pittsburgh, PA I have spotty I-70 coverage, but its not out of the realm that I can easily clinch that gap by making that exact drive.  My company's corporate office is in Pittsburgh and I know I will need to travel there for training in the very near future.  I would prefer to drive. 

So when I make that drive, I will still lack the above mentioned tiny gap.

epzik8

MD 404 between MD 662 and US 50. Granted, it's not nearly as heavily traveled as the rest of 404, in both Maryland and Delaware.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Rothman on September 01, 2021, 05:58:32 PM

I didn't mean that to be taken quite so literal.  I know about all my gaps, but some are so small I might easily brush it off a time or two...  Its more of convenience than actually forgetting. 

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 1 on September 01, 2021, 07:03:57 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 01, 2021, 05:32:13 PM
have a gap

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 01, 2021, 05:32:13 PM
lack a gap

These should mean the opposite, not the same...

Quote from: 1 on September 01, 2021, 07:03:57 PM
I thought about this because I lack a gap between US-191 and UT-128 on I-70 that keeps me from saying I have been on I-70 from Cove Fort, UT to Salina, KS.  I honestly don't know if I will every be able to close that gap.

I wrote it this way because for the stretch of I-70 between Cove Fort, UT and Salina, KS, I lack the above section.  So yes, while I have a gap in that continuous part, I also lack a gap to make it whole. 

Rothman

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 01, 2021, 07:00:32 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 01, 2021, 05:58:32 PM

I didn't mean that to be taken quite so literal.  I know about all my gaps, but some are so small I might easily brush it off a time or two...  Its more of convenience than actually forgetting.

I care about the gaps, though.  I'm picky when it comes to interstate clinching.

I've got a two-mile gap on I-30.  Can't brush that off, or the gap on I-190 between the border and its northernmost exit in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ned Weasel

My two major Interstate clinch gaps:

I-25: US 84 to somewhere just north of I-40.
I-30: I-440 to I-40.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

SkyPesos

For me, I-76 between I-79 and I-376.

Flint1979

I'm missing the very western part of M-28 in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I have everything from M-129 to Lake Gogebic clinched, I do not have the part from the western junction of M-64 to the western terminus at US-2 clinched. It's a distance of about 16 miles. I have driven past the western terminus of M-28 on US-2 but never turned on it.

NWI_Irish96

Last year on a family trip to Colorado, I thought I'd clinched BL I-70 in Denver but while inputting my data into travelmapping I discovered that I missed the westernmost 0.15 mile segment between US 40 and I-70.

Once I followed Grand River Ave all the way from Detroit to East Lansing and in the process missed the easternmost 0.59 miles of M-43 that I've yet to get back to.

I'm missing the northernmost 0.89 miles of the original I-69 because I haven't been across the bridge to Canada.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US 89

I am missing I-70 between I-76 and I-25 in Denver... which stops me from claiming a continuous clinch of I-70 from the western terminus in Utah all the way to I-255 in East St Louis IL.

Skye

Mine is on I-71 in Ohio (coincidently the closest interstate to where I live). I'm missing a stretch in the Columbus area between Exit 116 (Morse Rd) and Exit 119 (I-270). Anymore the only time I travel through Columbus is with my dad and he always uses OH 315 to I-270 instead of I-71.

Scott5114

I have all of M-28 clinched except for the portion of it east of I-75. 2.94 miles. Frustrating because I intentionally went to that interchange to get the clinch in, rather than taking a shorter route, but I just overlooked that it continues east of I-75.

Quote from: Bruce on September 01, 2021, 06:11:38 PM
I am missing two blocks of WA-9 and its spur route in Sumas, WA, because they have no signed turnaround at the border crossing.

If it were me, I would go ahead and count that as a clinch, because you've seen really everything the road has to offer even if you haven't physically traversed it (I've seen people refer to that as a "sight clinch"). Clinching is supposed to be a fun travel goal, subjecting yourself to border scrutiny for the sake of a clinch isn't really a good use of anyone's time, and you probably don't really gain any sort of meaningful experience by doing that.

There's a segment of MO-123 I likewise count as clinched, even though it was closed for construction at the time I was there, and there wasn't really a signed detour. But I bypassed the closure on a road that was close enough that I could see MO-123 the entire time. I would gain nothing by going back and driving it legit, so I don't care enough to do it. So it gets marked as traveled on my Travel Mapping.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2021, 10:47:38 PM
Quote from: Bruce on September 01, 2021, 06:11:38 PM

If it were me, I would go ahead and count that as a clinch, because you've seen really everything the road has to offer even if you haven't physically traversed it (I've seen people refer to that as a "sight clinch"). Clinching is supposed to be a fun travel goal, subjecting yourself to border scrutiny for the sake of a clinch isn't really a good use of anyone's time, and you probably don't really gain any sort of meaningful experience by doing that.

I do intend to go back and finish the clinch (by crossing the border), since the road on the other side is one that needs to be clinched as well. I've already counted a few full clinches by turning back at the border, but this one isn't as difficult (in theory).

webny99

I'd have all of I-90 from I-95 outside Boston to Rapid City, SD, if not for a gap in Minnesota between US 52 near Rochester and I-35. I know it's not a full clinch of I-90, but I think it fits in spirit.  :)

For I-86/NY 17, meanwhile, the segment between NY 36 and I-390 is preventing me from having a full clinch. It will probably be that way for a while considering I wouldn't ever really have a good use for that segment; I always use NY 36 to access I-86 WB, and always use I-390 to access I-86 EB.

sprjus4

^ It's only about 15 more minutes to follow I-390 to I-86 West directly. You could probably fit it in on a trip out that way just to get it done, if that's desired, without adding too much time.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on September 04, 2021, 09:37:47 AM
I'd have all of I-90 from I-95 outside Boston to Rapid City, SD, if not for a gap in Minnesota between US 52 near Rochester and I-35. I know it's not a full clinch of I-90, but I think it fits in spirit.  :)

For I-86/NY 17, meanwhile, the segment between NY 36 and I-390 is preventing me from having a full clinch. It will probably be that way for a while considering I wouldn't ever really have a good use for that segment; I always use NY 36 to access I-86 WB, and always use I-390 to access I-86 EB.
No but it's more than half the route which is pretty impressive since I-90 is the longest Interstate.

sbeaver44

Surely I have more but offhand:

I-190 NY: Between NY 104 and Canada
PA 46 between Main St and US 219 in Bradford
PA 155 between Turtlepoint and PA 446
NJ 19 north of I-80
I-77 WV: South of Exit 9, North of Exit 176
I-94 WI: Exit 319-Illinois
I-380 IA: North of US 20
I-80 IA: Nebraska to I-29, I-235 to I-235, I-74 to US 67
ADHS Corr B: OH 253 to Wheelersburg Exit

TheHighwayMan3561

WIS 65 south of WIS 29/35
M-26 between M-38 and US 45
M-28 east of I-75 (me too)
I-70 in Utah missing the last mile between I-15 and the Cove Fort exit (just for UT, not a full I-70 clinch)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 04, 2021, 10:41:02 AM
^ It's only about 15 more minutes to follow I-390 to I-86 West directly. You could probably fit it in on a trip out that way just to get it done, if that's desired, without adding too much time.

It's about 40 miles instead of 15, so about 20 minutes longer once you factor in the lower speed limit and potential for slowdowns in Arkport. If I was on my own, I'd definitely do it. If I was with passengers or a passenger myself, there's basically no chance unless I fake "missed" the NY 36 exit. :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.