News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What was the First Interstate You Clinched?

Started by ethanhopkin14, September 02, 2021, 04:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

I am limiting this to interstates because they tend to be longer and harder to clinch, but what interstate was the first for you to clinch?  How did you feel?

I wonder because for me it was I-37 from San Antonio to Corpus Christi and I was somewhere younger than 10, so clinching wasn't a thing.  It was just a family trip.  Yes, I was wild about roads then too, but driving the whole length of an interstate wasn't something to do, it just happened, but still was great!  Of course, being a kid, I couldn't see past this and didn't realize there were much more to clinch. 

kphoger

I'm sure it was I-27, back when I was in high school–heck, I probably clinched it on a learner's permit.

I didn't think anything of it, because "clinching" wasn't a concept I had in my brain at that time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

First interstate clinched was I-465, not sure of the exact year but it was by 1992.

First 2di clinched was I-43 I-76(W) if we're counting the 76s separately. Otherwise, it's I-19 in 2000.
=====

Going to try to put years on all of these, but many are estimates:

8 - 2019
11 - 2019
17 - 2019
19 - 2000
39 - 2020
41 - 2012
43 - 2001?
65 - 2011
74 - 2020
76(W) - 1990
88 - 2004
96 - 2018
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Mine was I-19 (probably the only one on the forum).  Visited my grandparents when I was six who lived in Rio Rico, AZ and we drove down into Mexico when we were there.  I didn't feel much of anything other than excited to go to Mexico.

Second one was I-335 on the return trip since my dad didn't take the shorter way back to Minnesota (and avoiding tolls) despite me telling him to.

My first x0 or x5 was I-25 when I was 13.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jlam

I'm not sure, but my guess is Denver's I-270.

SkyPesos

2di: I-78, on a trip to NYC

3di: I-270, a long time ago. Last section needed for the clinch is the portion between MO 21 (exit 2) and I-55 (exit 1).

Max Rockatansky

Flint1979

US 89

First 2di was definitely I-82 on a family road trip from Salt Lake to Seattle and back as a kid. Didn't think anything of it at the time as that was just the fastest way.

I probably had finished Utah I-215 by then, simply through piecing together several trips on various segments through the years. I definitely had 215 clinched as a passenger by the time I got my learners permit.

Bruce

2di: I-82 on a road trip with friends to Boise. Re-clinched it a few weeks ago while in the area for sightseeing.

3di: Probably I-405, given that I have been up and down that corridor hundreds of times even before I had my license.

Big John

Jim

It's guesswork, but likely I-890.  I'm sure I traveled it all many times as a young child in the 1970s but that's before it extended all the way west, apparently.  By the time it was completed, I expect I'd also traveled I-787.  It's possible other 3dis on family trips in the northeast came first, but that seems unlikely.

For a 2di, I-87.  It's very likely I fully traveled it by some time in the 1970s, whenever we first went up into Quebec.  The earliest 2di clinch other than I-87 was I-24 but that wasn't until 1997 and I can be very sure I had clinched I-87 multiple times over by then.  I-4 probably came next, now that I think about it a bit more, likely by some time in the 80's.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

CoreySamson

2di: obviously I-12, which is the only one I've clinched. I possibly clinched it as early as 2007 or so.

3di: I-110 in Baton Rouge. Not entirely sure exactly when I clinched it, but I can remember being on all parts of it (so possibly 2010?)
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

7/8

I have four guesses:
I-190 in NY, I-290 in NY, I-270 Spur in MD (does this count?), or I-295 in DC/MD

kurumi

2di: first was I-84(E); second was I-8. I'm not much of a clincher; the only other 2dis I have are H1, H2, H3, 17, 19, and maybe I-76(W).

3di: I-475 in GA is the first. Seems a bit random, but this was a trip from southern FL to see relatives in midwest.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

Hm.  I-391?  I-475 (GA)?  One of those, I think.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Pretty sure I-595 (FL), but I-4 was the first mainline I'd clinched.

Not sure what else I may have clinched while others were driving; though I-675 stands out because it's probably the only time I convinced someone else to "take this shortcut that heads northeast of Atlanta".

Scott5114

I think it was I-635 (KS-MO). But it's also possible it was I-240 (OK) or I-235 (OK). I've had all three of those clinched since the beginning of my "roadgeek career", as it were.

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2021, 04:50:32 PM
I'm sure it was I-27, back when I was in high school–heck, I probably clinched it on a learner's permit.

I didn't think anything of it, because "clinching" wasn't a concept I had in my brain at that time.

My first 2di was exactly the same: I-27, back in high school, on a learner's permit...but I did have the concept of clinching in my brain, so it was intentional. I was able to sell the idea to my mom as an easy, safe way of giving me driving experience, and she went with it because she just wanted to get out of the house and see something new.

I think I've always had the idea of clinching in my brain, it's just that I was more motivated to do it after I learned the name of it–which happened around the same time I started driving, happily.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

achilles765

For me, my first 2di was actually interstate 59 but it was before I knew what clinching was.
Once I did, interstate 49 became the first I did myself...when it was just Lafayette to Shreveport. Then interstate 12. Then 45.

For 3dis, the first was I-110 in Baton Rouge then I 610 in New Orleans.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

hotdogPi

I've clinched three Interstates: I-88 (NY), I-290 (MA), and I-291 (MA). As I did all of them before I was really a roadgeek, it could be any of the three.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Most likely, I-68, on a work trip to DC back in 2004.

I may have clinched I-264 and I-265 in Kentucky, and I-471 in Kentucky and Ohio, prior to that, but I'm not positive.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2021, 10:22:16 PM
I think I've always had the idea of clinching in my brain, it's just that I was more motivated to do it after I learned the name of it–which happened around the same time I started driving, happily.

I just figured "completed" or "finished" was the term for satisfaction of a given route.

The term "clinch" has stuck, but in sporting terms, a clinch sort of implied something (a pennant, division championship, home-field advantage, or some other title) is attained before a full season has actually completed. (Depending on one's point of view, a clinch occurs before you're actually done with the route!)

I guess there's always more driving to go, so it makes sense.

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on September 03, 2021, 11:49:20 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2021, 10:22:16 PM

Don't ask Bandit what clinching is.

I just figured "completed" or "finished" was the term for satisfaction of a given route.

The term "clinch" has stuck, but in sporting terms, a clinch sort of implied something (a pennant, division championship, home-field advantage, or some other title) is attained before a full season has actually completed. (Depending on one's point of view, a clinch occurs before you're actually done with the route!)

I guess there's always more driving to go, so it makes sense.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

machias

As a young driver in the mid 1980s:
Interstate 88 (Eastern) for the 2dis
Interstate 690 for the 3dis

Longest 2di for me: Interstate 94
Shortest 2di for me: Interstate 19

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.