News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Town name begins with same first 3+ letters as state name (but not full name)

Started by KCRoadFan, September 07, 2021, 11:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I wasn't really sure how to phrase the title of the thread (especially in a way that didn't exceed the character limit), but the premise is this: in any given state, what cities and towns are there whose names begin with the same cluster of letters as the name of the state (at least the first three letters), but at the same time, do not contain the full name of the state? (Thus, Indianapolis - as well as anything called [State Name] City - is out.) Anyway, here are some examples:

Minneapolis, Minnesota - as well as other places in that state beginning with "Minne" such as Minnetonka, Minnetrista, and Minneota (no, that last name is not a typo)
Arkadelphia, Arkansas
Calipatria, Calexico, and Calistoga, California
Alabaster, Alabama
Kanapolis and Kanorado, Kansas
Michigamme, Michigan (a small town in the U.P., west of Ishpeming and Marquette)
Texarkana and Texline, Texas
Washougal, Washington
Penndel, Pennsylvania
Towns beginning with "New" in any of the "New" states, "North" or "South" in their respective Carolina or Dakota, or "West" in West Virginia (OK, I admit, this is rather obvious)
Mashpee, Massachusetts
Delmar, Delaware

Any other examples, aside from the ones I just mentioned?

US 89

There are two Georgetowns in Georgia. One is an incorporated city that is the seat of Quitman County. The other is a CDP near Savannah.

Hobart

There's an Illiopolis somewhere in Illinois I think. There's also the significantly more obvious Minneapolis.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Bruce

Washougal is one, but Washtucna is another. Both are derived from indigenous names, so it's a neat coincidence.

Oregon has Oregon City. If we were doing a thread on rhyming town names, then Irrigon would be one to include.

JayhawkCO

Collbran or Columbine Valley, Colorado
Kenton Vale, Kentucky
Marydel, Maryland
Texhoma, Texas
Vernon or Vershire, Vermont

Chris

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

OldDominion75

Virgilina, Virginia
Norlina, North Carolina
Marlton, Maryland
Delmar, Delaware
Texarkana, Texas

DandyDan

There's also Minneiska, Minnesota.  Minnesota probably has a few like that because of the use of native languages in place naming.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Flint1979

Ned Weasel

What if it's on the border but in a neighboring state, like Texola, Oklahoma?

Texola, Oklahoma is on I-40.  There, I mentioned a road, to make this reply appropriate for General Highway Talk instead of Travel.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

NWI_Irish96

Indian Village, Indiana qualifies as it is missing the last letter.
Michiana, Michigan
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Quote from: Ned Weasel on September 08, 2021, 06:44:01 AM
What if it's on the border but in a neighboring state, like Texola, Oklahoma?

Texola, Oklahoma is on I-40.  There, I mentioned a road, to make this reply appropriate for General Highway Talk instead of Travel.
Or how about when it's in an entirely different state, like Missoula, MT? It sounds like it should be in either "Miss"issippi or "Missou"ri.

Anyway, for a city that fits this thread and hasn't been mentioned yet, I nominate Arivaca and Arivaca Junction, AZ, Floral City, FL, and Vergennes, VT.

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 07, 2021, 11:40:23 PM
I wasn't really sure how to phrase the title of the thread (especially in a way that didn't exceed the character limit), but the premise is this: in any given state, what cities and towns are there whose names begin with the same cluster of letters as the name of the state (at least the first three letters), but at the same time, do not contain the full name of the state? (Thus, Indianapolis - as well as anything called [State Name] City - is out.)
Then we can disqualify Wisconsin Dells as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

snowc

Quote from: Hobart on September 08, 2021, 12:55:56 AM
There's an Illiopolis somewhere in Illinois I think. There's also the significantly more obvious Minneapolis.
Indianapolis, IN!

hbelkins

Didn't see it mentioned above, but may have overlooked it. Kanorado, Kansas.

Close but not quite -- Kenova, West Virginia, so named because of its location near Kentucky and Ohio.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

thspfc

webny99

Quote from: snowc on September 08, 2021, 11:27:05 AM
Indianapolis, IN!
Quote from: thspfc on September 08, 2021, 01:02:03 PM
Wisconsin Dells, WI

*Ahem*  :eyebrow:

what cities and towns are there whose names begin with the same cluster of letters ... but at the same time, do not contain the full name of the state? (Thus, Indianapolis - as well as anything called [State Name] City - is out.)

snowc

Quote from: webny99 on September 08, 2021, 01:04:19 PM
Quote from: snowc on September 08, 2021, 11:27:05 AM
Indianapolis, IN!
Quote from: thspfc on September 08, 2021, 01:02:03 PM
Wisconsin Dells, WI

*Ahem*  :eyebrow:

what cities and towns are there whose names begin with the same cluster of letters ... but at the same time, do not contain the full name of the state? (Thus, Indianapolis - as well as anything called [State Name] City - is out.)
Welp, there goes my choice.  :colorful:
New Hartford, NY?

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Requiring at least 3 letters but not the full state name is going to make examples in Iowa, Ohio or Utah very unlikely.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jlam

These are the ones I found, but I know there are way more.

Alakanuk, Alaska
Calexico, California
Hawi, Hawaii
Kanopolis, Kansas
Kenton Vale, Kentucky
Marydel, Maryland
Mashpee, Massachusetts
Michigamme, Michigan
New Hampton, New Hampshire
Newark, New Jersey
New Rochelle, New York
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
Northwood, North Dakota
South Congaree, South Carolina
South Shore, South Carolina
Texarkana, Texas
Vergennes, Vermont
Virgilina, Virginia
Washtucna, Washington
West Liberty, West Virginia

Scott5114

Quote from: Ned Weasel on September 08, 2021, 06:44:01 AM

There's also Texhoma TX-OK (on US-54), Texline TX (on US-84), and Oklaunion TX (on US-70/183/287).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SEWIGuy

There are none in Wisconsin that fit this definition.  No cities, no villages, no towns, no counties.  There are two cities that start with "wis" but have Wisconsin in their name - Wisconsin Dells and Wisconsin Rapids.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Newton, NJ
Penn's Grove, NJ (if other states cities count.)
New Brunswick, NJ
New Market, NJ ( Piscataway, NJ)
New Providence, NJ
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.