Regional Boards > Mountain West

The I-10 Broadway Curve Widening

(1/6) > >>

kernals12:

Phoenix is soon to undergo a massive freeway expansion project. Over 11 miles, between the I-17 split and just north of the Loop 202 Interchange, I-10 is to be widened. South of the Superstition Freeway, one general purpose lane will be added in each direction, north of the Superstition, 2 GP lanes and one HOV lane will be added in each direction, bringing it up to a total of 16. And between baseline road and 48th street, new collector distributor roads will be added.

The aim is to widen a major bottleneck that currently exists on I-10 where I-17 merges going EB and US 60 merges going WB.

The project will cost $770 million, which is staggeringly low for an urban interstate rebuild of this scale. ADOT issued a notice to proceed just a few days ago and construction should wrap up by the end of 2024.

As far as I can tell, there is no serious opposition to this project, I'm guessing that ADOT already owns the ROW and won't need to demolish any houses.

Projects like this will help Phoenix maintain its very low levels of congestion.

Max Rockatansky:
I'm assuming this includes a full interchange with I-10/AZ 143?  It would be nice to be able to directly use southbound AZ 143 to I-10 east.

kernals12:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 21, 2021, 08:22:47 PM ---I'm assuming this includes a full interchange with I-10/AZ 143?

--- End quote ---
Probably

Roadwarriors79:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 21, 2021, 08:22:47 PM ---I'm assuming this includes a full interchange with I-10/AZ 143?  It would be nice to be able to directly use southbound AZ 143 to I-10 east.

--- End quote ---
SB 143 to EB I-10 will be a 2 lane flyover ramp. There will also be a planned HOV connection from SB 143 to EB I-10 and WB I-10 to NB 143.

SM-G998U1

ztonyg:
It looks like the University Dr. exit on AZ143 will no longer have connectivity to E/B I-10 (although both directions of I-10 will be able to access it and it will continue to have access to W/B I-10).

It's not a big deal but I'd imagine a decent amount of traffic entering S/B SR 143 from University Dr. ends up on E/B I-10 through the current loop ramp. Now that traffic will have to use 48th St. / Broadway to access I-10.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version