Do US 101 and CA 1 exist on the Golden Gate Bridge?

Started by Max Rockatansky, November 01, 2021, 11:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

A topic of conjecture I frequently hear come up in the California Roadgeek community is if US Route 101 and California State Route 1 exist on the Golden Gate Bridge.  The question of the Golden Gate Bridge often comes up given the structure is not part of any California Legislative Route definition given it is not a State owned facility.  In this blog we examine all the facts regarding Golden Gate Bridge such as; the Legislative Route Definitions of US Route 101-California State Route 1, what shows up in the Caltrans Postmile Tool on the Golden Gate Bridge, what the AASHTO has to say about the status of US Route 101 on the Golden Gate Bridge and what field signage suggests.  Pictured in the blog cover in the Golden Gate Bridge as it appeared shortly after completion in the May 1937 California Highways & Public Works.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/11/the-legislative-route-gaps-of-us-route.html

ran4sh

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a gap, considering that gaps are not uncommon in the legislative definitions of routes.

It should obviously be signed as those routes in the field regardless.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ran4sh on November 02, 2021, 12:14:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a gap, considering that gaps are not uncommon in the legislative definitions of routes.

It should obviously be signed as those routes in the field regardless.

Pertaining to 101 Caltrans does recognize it's existence on the Golden Gate Bridge by way of the Postmile Tool.  The AASHTO Route definition has the Golden Gate Bridge of US 101.  I think most of us would agree the AASHTO has the ultimately say over what constitutes a US Route segment.

richardwm15

The reason for the legislative gap is the Golden Gate Bridge is not maintained by CALTRANS; it's maintained by the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District (https://www.goldengate.org/). The district was formed by the state in 1923 to build and maintain the Golden Gate Bridge. According to the website, the mission statement is, "The mission of the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District (District) is to provide safe and reliable operation, maintenance and enhancement of the Golden Gate Bridge and to provide transportation services, as resources allow, for customers within the U.S. Highway 101 Golden Gate Corridor."

Alps

That's a state-specific issue, then, because NJDOT recognizes routes in any jurisdiction.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on November 02, 2021, 06:48:03 PM
That's a state-specific issue, then, because NJDOT recognizes routes in any jurisdiction.

Interestingly it was like this in California until 1964 when the State Routes and US Routes became the defacto Legislative Route definitions.  State Highways couldn't be maintained in incorporated cities in California until 1933 which meant a good chunk of the US Route system was under local maintenance.  There are plenty of examples of 1934 State Routes being signed on non State owned highways. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.