News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Snowstorms in NC, SC, and GA

Started by KCRoadFan, January 16, 2022, 11:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I saw the news about the snow and ice storms in the Carolinas and Georgia - wanted to see how all of you fellow road fans who live in that region are doing. Hope it's going all right for you. Hang in there!

tolbs17

For me, I was not really affected.

US 89

We got maybe half an inch to an inch of snow in downtown Atlanta that stuck to grass/roofs but not to roads/sidewalks. Most of it is gone now. It wasn't enough to really slow things down around here, but enough to get everyone excited.

wriddle082

In my part of Columbia it was mostly cold rain, but other parts of town had ice clinging to trees for a little while but it was eventually melted by ice.  It's only going to be right at or just above freezing this morning so I should make it to my 8:30 dr's appointment just fine.

Going northwest up I-26 I think the snow starts around Laurens County, and north up I-77 it starts around Chester County.  No snow accumulation south of that line or east of I-95.  Which is good because I'm driving to Norfolk later.

ARMOURERERIC

Snowfall was significant here in Morganton

74/171FAN

This really should have been posted in the Weather Board.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Big Storm it was as it reached all the way down to Fort Myers.  We now have a cold spell  down here in FL thanks to it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wriddle082

Quote from: roadman65 on January 17, 2022, 09:47:17 AM
Big Storm it was as it reached all the way down to Fort Myers.  We now have a cold spell  down here in FL thanks to it.

My dad and stepmom are snowbirding it down there now.  Won't be back in TN till March.  I'm sure they are very thankful to have missed most of that weather.

Henry

I'm always amused at how Southerners panic at the sight of snow, mainly because they see it as more of a Northern thing (mainly the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and New England). They could learn a lesson from those who have gone through many a snowstorm in the more familiar places, like myself.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

RoadPelican

I received 2 inches of snow/sleet here in Greensboro.  It could have been a lot worse, we were supposed to get freezing rain and over a half inch of ice which could have led to power outages.  The Sandhills region and counties around the NC/SC border near Pinehurst and Rockingham got the worst of the ice.

Unfortunately, no significant melting (roads will still be bad) until Wednesday. Temperatures won't stay above freezing for at least 24 hours straight until Wednesday.   Monday and Tuesday Night lows will get down to around 20!!!  So black ice concerns for a couple more mornings.

Love2drive

Quote from: RoadPelican on January 17, 2022, 12:21:31 PM
I received 2 inches of snow/sleet here in Greensboro.  It could have been a lot worse, we were supposed to get freezing rain and over a half inch of ice which could have led to power outages.  The Sandhills region and counties around the NC/SC border near Pinehurst and Rockingham got the worst of the ice.

Unfortunately, no significant melting (roads will still be bad) until Wednesday. Temperatures won't stay above freezing for at least 24 hours straight until Wednesday.   Monday and Tuesday Night lows will get down to around 20!!!  So black ice concerns for a couple more mornings.

I was out and about this morning and early in the afternoon.  The highways in Greensboro, Winston, and Burlington are in great shape... the main roads  in Greensboro are in good shape... but the side roads and neighborhoods are in terrible shape. 

US 89

Quote from: Henry on January 17, 2022, 10:19:15 AM
I'm always amused at how Southerners panic at the sight of snow, mainly because they see it as more of a Northern thing (mainly the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and New England). They could learn a lesson from those who have gone through many a snowstorm in the more familiar places, like myself.

Meh. After living in the south for a few years, the panic is largely justified as there is little to no infrastructure to handle these events. Atlanta in particular wants to make sure they don't have another 2014 Snowpocalypse - an event in which three inches of snow completely shut down the city and pretty much every major roadway for days, and many freeways became parking lots with their drivers either sleeping in their cars or simply abandoning them entirely in the main travel lanes.

tolbs17

Another snow storm is coming to the eastern portion of North Carolina, which is where I live. I hope I see the snow stick!

RoadPelican

Quote from: Love2drive on January 17, 2022, 05:03:12 PM
Quote from: RoadPelican on January 17, 2022, 12:21:31 PM

I was out and about this morning and early in the afternoon.  The highways in Greensboro, Winston, and Burlington are in great shape... the main roads  in Greensboro are in good shape... but the side roads and neighborhoods are in terrible shape.

That is correct and I live on a side road and my driveway is a piece of dirt, so I will be out on Thursday.

RoadPelican

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 17, 2022, 11:28:36 PM
Another snow storm is coming to the eastern portion of North Carolina, which is where I live. I hope I see the snow stick!

Hopefully it will a coastal storm and bypass Greensboro entirely.  I'm ready to move back to Florida between this cold snap and the mask mandate in Guilford County, I'm done!

tolbs17

Where I live, when looking at the snowfall and ice look, it's definitely going to be around 6 inches (possibly more) of snow and/or ice. Damn...

However, they say it's too early to predict snowfall totals. But I assume the colors mean this

Light blue - <1 inch

Blue - 1-3 inches

Dark blue - 3-5 inches

light purple - 5-8 inches

Purple - 8-12 inches

Dark purple >12 inches

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2022-01-18-late-week-snow-ice-winter-storm-south-east

The Ghostbuster

Being from Wisconsin, I'd like to tell the people in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia: "Suck it up, buttercups!", although that would be rude and likely unhelpful.

tolbs17

Last update before the storm arrives. We are going to get about 5 inches with snow and mixed with some ice...

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2022-01-18-late-week-snow-ice-winter-storm-south-east

tolbs17

Ice has started, will later transition to snow.

tolbs17

tolbs17

architect77

You ought to see how SoCal reacts when it rains, which is really mist by East Coast standards. Reporters out in 5 locations, talking endlessly about the dangerous driving conditions, lol.

Road Hog

I live in the South and I don't panic when it snows, I get excited. I'm perfectly fine with one good snow a year. After that, it gets old.

fillup420

Its the fact that our DOTs in areas that arent western NC are not equipped to maintain the roads in snowy situations. During last week's snow, I walked out to the NC state route near my house and it was a solid sheet of ice and snow. It stayed that way until the sun came out and melted it. In any NE or midwest state, the plows wouldve been out in force, and salt laid down. Not here. We simply do not have the resources to adequately maintain the roads. the one or two snows a year don't justify the costs of snow equipment. So as annoying as it is that everyone freaks out about getting snowed in, it can be, and has been a real concern.

Reference that famous picture of Raleigh in a snowstorm. That is US 70 near my workplace. It started snowing about 6 hours prior to when that picture was taken. The roads froze up quick, and there was no equipment in the area capable of clearing that mess up in a timely manner. Everyone started freaking out and tried to drive home but it was hopeless.

Now i agree that the ransacking of grocery stores every time snow is in the forecast is a bit much, but the idea of getting snowed in is a real concern. It only takes a coating of ice to keep me from getting out of my neighborhood thanks to the slight incline up to the state highway.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: fillup420 on January 28, 2022, 09:42:59 PM
Its the fact that our DOTs in areas that arent western NC are not equipped to maintain the roads in snowy situations. During last week's snow, I walked out to the NC state route near my house and it was a solid sheet of ice and snow. It stayed that way until the sun came out and melted it. In any NE or midwest state, the plows wouldve been out in force, and salt laid down. Not here. We simply do not have the resources to adequately maintain the roads. the one or two snows a year don't justify the costs of snow equipment. So as annoying as it is that everyone freaks out about getting snowed in, it can be, and has been a real concern.

Reference that famous picture of Raleigh in a snowstorm. That is US 70 near my workplace. It started snowing about 6 hours prior to when that picture was taken. The roads froze up quick, and there was no equipment in the area capable of clearing that mess up in a timely manner. Everyone started freaking out and tried to drive home but it was hopeless.

Now i agree that the ransacking of grocery stores every time snow is in the forecast is a bit much, but the idea of getting snowed in is a real concern. It only takes a coating of ice to keep me from getting out of my neighborhood thanks to the slight incline up to the state highway.

My son was asking a question about whether NCDOT ever uses [de-icing compounds] off of the main highways in this part of the state.  Indeed they do, but never in advance.  NCDOT will first scrape the backroads a time or two, and then if the local school districts stay closed on a nice day when the roads are mostly clear, they will come back out and spread [de-icing compounds] or sand out on the remaining ice patches.  This effort is more intense along the northern tier counties.  It is quite effective, and hardly ever does school stay closed more than a few days per snow/ice event.  And the "nawtheners" amongst us (I guess I'm one of them) can come and go as they like while the snow is on the roads, as most everbody here stays home.  For the record, my wife can't drive very well in the snow but she still had to get out every day when she worked in home health.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.