Regional Boards > Mid-South

I-69 in TN

<< < (140/145) > >>

Rothman:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on September 29, 2021, 10:36:01 AM ---Ford just announced Blue Oval City in Stanton, TN.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/42541/fords-biggest-investment-ever-is-11-4-billion-for-ev-battery-plants-in-the-south

It will be about a hour NE of Memphis and 20 minutes from the planned route of I-69 at Covington.

It will make both EV's and batteries in a JV with SK and will cover 6 square miles.

It will cost Ford about $11.4 Billion to construct this "city".

SK will also build a battery plant near Glendale, KY, but that on will be off of I-65.

Look for a large amount of traffic on I-40/I-65 and US51/I-69/Wendell Ford if this new "city' comes to be.

--- End quote ---
Eesh.  The return of the company town.

We have reverted to the Gilded Age.

seicer:
Except they are building a factory, not a town.

Both sites are along important (existing) interstate or interstate-compatible highways (I-65 and WK Parkway in Kentucky, I-40 in Tennessee), and along major rail lines. More importantly, both sites are near major Ford production facilities. For Kentucky, it's near a major assembly plant and the truck plant.

Wayward Memphian:
It's an hr from Downtown Memphis, not so much from oh say US 64 and I-40.  Arlington and Lakeland are groing to benefit greatly, as well as Oakland and Somerville.

hbelkins:
It must be fairly near Brownsville, because I saw a photo of the Tennessee governor holding up a copy of the Brownsville paper trumpeting the announcement.

I think "city" is being used in a generic sense to describe the size of the campus, and not to denote a project where the company will be building housing and retail stores where the employees are paid in company scrip.

I've heard a similar description of "city" being used to discuss something Amazon's planning, which prompted the same comparison to coal mining company towns.

Life in Paradise:

--- Quote from: seicer on September 29, 2021, 07:25:59 PM ---Except they are building a factory, not a town.

Both sites are along important (existing) interstate or interstate-compatible highways (I-65 and WK Parkway in Kentucky, I-40 in Tennessee), and along major rail lines. More importantly, both sites are near major Ford production facilities. For Kentucky, it's near a major assembly plant and the truck plant.

--- End quote ---
I could see Ford or any other manufacturer in this instance negotiating some road improvements that could include I-69 construction in Tennessee.  Even though the two plants can be traveled via I-40 and I-65, I-69 and the Western KY Parkway could be a much easier drive avoiding Nashville.  Completing I-69 with perhaps a four lane road connecting Stanton to Covington could help send shipments north and northwest (via I-155 and St. Louis) to avoid the Memphis metro.  Heck, if Illinois could build I-180 at one time for that Hennepin plant, what could be done for a much bigger operation?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version