News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASTERNC

I've just never seen a speed limit on an Interstate below 40 MPH (and even that is an outlier).

Rothman

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 26, 2021, 11:57:34 AM
I've just never seen a speed limit on an Interstate below 40 MPH (and even that is an outlier).
I am sure there is a thread on that somewhere.  Central Artery was posted at 35, for example.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

^^^^

Quote GAFFNEY, S.C. – The South Carolina Department of Transportation is working to lower speed limits along the Interstate 85 construction zone in Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.

This is as crews work to widen the roadway to change plans in order to eliminate the "chute" as quickly as possible.

SCDOT said the details of the new plan are still under review and would be refined over the next few days.

The contractor will be able to remove the chute in two stages, with each phase lasting less than 90 days each, SCDOT said.

The first stage involves the contract finishing the widening work needed in the southbound lanes for the 5 miles between mile markers 81 and 86. That's at the Spartanburg/Cherokee county line. Once that's done, SCDOT said the chute will be removed in that 5-mile stretch.

The same approach will be taken for the second phase, which involves the portion of the interstate between mile markers 86 and 91 in Cherokee County.

SCDOT said that a team of its engineers made recommendations for change on Friday morning.

"All options are on the table and we will continue to look for more ways to make the project corridor safer,"  Secretary of Transportation Christy Hall said Saturday. "Today the State Transport Police began patrolling the project corridor in order to assist the State Highway Patrol and others in slowing traffic down through the work zone. This is especially important as we lower the speed limit in the southbound direction to 45 mph and prepare to make additional changes to signage to reinforce that all truck traffic must be in the outside lane."

SCDOT said it has completed the installation of new speed limit signs.

The speed limit was lowered from 55 mph to 45 mph for the outside southbound lanes, SCDOT said.

Officials said the speed limit for the "chute"  was lowered to 35 mph.

This comes after three people died in a crash on Thursday afternoon on that stretch of I-85.

The Cherokee County Coroner is responding to the removal of the "chute."

"The SCDOT reaction is nothing more than lip service again. 90 days on each phase to remove the chutes is 180 days. That puts us at the end of the year which is what they had stated at the original meeting with county officials several months ago. Nothing has changed and this is not acceptable. Another day with those chutes in place is another place is another day a motorist can be killed in this maze of concrete that has been proven not to work."

SCDOT said more than 55,000 vehicles pass through the construction site on a daily basis.
https://www.wyff4.com/article/scdot-changing-i-85-construction-plans-to-eliminate-chute/37056760

IMO, the construction zone is poorly designed. I understand it's a temporary situation, but there has to be a way to at least maintain standard lane widths, avoid abrupt lane shifts, etc. I've seen my fair share of good and bad work zones, and this one is on the down side.

Also... what is the point of having the lane splits anyways? They've always seemed completely pointless in my mind. What do you need to split the lane for that can't just have a single roadway with two striped lanes?

sprjus4

I-264 is posted at 35 mph through the Downtown Tunnel and across the Berkley Bridge in Norfolk, VA.

wriddle082

(I also posted this to the I-26 thread, because this story applies to both I-26 and South Carolina.)

SC Governor Henry McMaster will be using federal funds to accelerate widening I-26 between Columbia and Charleston.

https://www.wistv.com//app/2021/09/02/mcmaster-expected-make-major-infrastructure-announcement-thursday/

The first project will start next year from SC 27 near Ridgeville to Jedburg Rd near Summerville.  I wish they would start on the Columbia end first, since there are hills just east of where the current 6-lane section ends that really tend to slow down the truck traffic.  But they are saying either way that the whole thing will be done in 10 years.

froggie

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 26, 2021, 03:36:16 PM
Also... what is the point of having the lane splits anyways? They've always seemed completely pointless in my mind. What do you need to split the lane for that can't just have a single roadway with two striped lanes?

I'm not sure how SCDOT is doing things, but in other regions, lane splits are occasionally necessary in order to maintain the desired number of lanes when one carriageway isn't wide enough to hold them all.  Another current example of this is I-94 in northwestern Hennepin County, MN, where they're trying to keep 3 lanes open in each direction (the same as existed pre-construction).

fillup420

Quote from: froggie on September 06, 2021, 10:44:37 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on August 26, 2021, 03:36:16 PM

I'm not sure how SCDOT is doing things, but in other regions, lane splits are occasionally necessary in order to maintain the desired number of lanes when one carriageway isn't wide enough to hold them all.  Another current example of this is I-94 in northwestern Hennepin County, MN, where they're trying to keep 3 lanes open in each direction (the same as existed pre-construction).

well, between the I-85 construction mess and the woefully under-maintained I-26, i would say SC DOT doesnt do much of anything. I lived in SC for about a year, and was constantly disappointed in the quality of roadways all over the state.

snowc

i81 in downtown syracuse is 45

Henry

Quote from: snowc on September 06, 2021, 03:11:40 PM
i81 in downtown syracuse is 45

And it'll only go lower once that community grid is fully implemented.

Sure, SC may have some terrible roads, but there are other location with far worse ones, including NYC (and they also have 40 MPH posted on one of their so-called expressways!).

Getting rid of that I-85 chute would certainly go a very long way in improving the Charlotte-Atlanta corridor. They really need to look at NC and how it improved its own sections of the Interstate to modern standards, because it's infinitely better now than it was 25 years ago.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sprjus4

^ The I-85 terrible zone in South Carolina is temporary though. Remember, it is actively being expanded to a modern 6 lane facility.

ran4sh

Although it has been "active" for like 4 years now.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

sprjus4

Quote from: ran4sh on September 07, 2021, 11:20:20 PM
Although it has been "active" for like 4 years now.
Two phases, started some years apart. It'll all likely be done in the next few years, with the southern section sooner.

cowboy_wilhelm

Chute removal began last night. The first five miles should be removed by September 15.

cowboy_wilhelm

The first section started in 2017 (design) with construction in 2018. Completion has been delayed from July 2021 to late 2023. The northern section started in 2019 and will continue until at least 2023. Once source I found said 2025.

D-Dey65

So, does anybody have any further updates about the possibility of reconstruction of the interchange between I-95 and I-26?

roadman65

Was the SC 125 overpass over SC 421 in Beech Island ever a divided highway for SC 421 on the bottom?

I assume SC 421 was an old alignment of US 1/78 and I am guessing that exchange was a previous cloverleaf at one time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2021, 03:50:54 PM
Was the SC 125 overpass over SC 421 in Beech Island ever a divided highway for SC 421 on the bottom?

I assume SC 421 was an old alignment of US 1/78 and I am guessing that exchange was a previous cloverleaf at one time.

Yes...explicitly shown in the 1955 historic aerial.  Originally, SC 421 was 4-lanes but only within the interchange.  The WB lanes ran into US 1-78 at grade and you could turn either direction.  There was no access from SC 125 SB to either direction of US 1-78 or SC 421, though both of those highways could access SC 125 SB.  SC 125 NB had access to both directions of both highways.  There was no previous cloverleaf.  SC 125 was built specifically as access to the Savannah River Plant about 1952 and US 1-78 had already bypassed SC 421 by then.

By 1971, the divided SC 421 was removed and the ramps from SC 125 SB to both directions of US 1-78 plus SC 421 EB were built.  Direct access from SC 125 NB to US 1-78 east was removed but can still easily be done via SC 421 EB.

wriddle082

Earlier this week, Governor McMaster and other officials officially broke ground on the "Carolina Crossroads"  (Malfunction Junction) rebuild in Columbia.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2428281259176/columbia-s-malfunction-junction-traffic-nightmare-targeted-in-new-1-7b-improvement-plan

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 07, 2021, 06:13:48 PM
^ The I-85 terrible zone in South Carolina is temporary though. Remember, it is actively being expanded to a modern 6 lane facility.
As SCDOT is already widening their part, NCDOT does not intend to do so in the foreseeable future so it will likely be beyond 2030 before they start. I wonder if the infrastructure bill will bump that up, but I have to say I-85 is probably the busiest north/south route in the southeast region and REALLY needs widening...

wriddle082

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 17, 2021, 12:25:35 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 07, 2021, 06:13:48 PM
As SCDOT is already widening their part, NCDOT does not intend to do so in the foreseeable future so it will likely be beyond 2030 before they start. I wonder if the infrastructure bill will bump that up, but I have to say I-85 is probably the busiest north/south route in the southeast region and REALLY needs widening...

At least this four-lane section in NC is short and isn't nearly as substandard as the portion in SC that's currently being widened.  I'd say the worst parts of the NC section are the steep incline southbound approaching Exit 4, and the left entrance going northbound.  Otherwise it's not nearly as substandard.  I'm sure it will soon start having issues heading northbound after SC's third lane drops at the Grover/Blacksburg exit.

roadman65

What is going on in Charleston on US 78 at Huger Street?The asphalt that was applied was laid down on ungraded soil. Obviously someone didn't think of using a steam roller to pack down the soil flat.

Unacceptable contractor and worst paving job ever even if temporary.  The road was so bumpy that even at 5 mph a full bladder would piss someone s pants.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

What was likely the oldest route shield standing in SC has been taken down - https://aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=SC19560171

GMSV shows this happened between Jun 2017-19. 

Fixed URL to make it clickable. - rmf67

fillup420

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 18, 2021, 08:59:13 AM
What was likely the oldest route shield standing in SC has been taken down - https://aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=SC19560171

GMSV shows this happened between Jun 2017-19. 

Fixed URL to make it clickable. - rmf67

I remember seeing that shield in late 2018 or early 2019. Sad to see it go. I was super stoked when I first saw it

roadman65

Why is US 76 in Sumter signed both on Washington Street and US 378?   Will the real US route please stand up?

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2021, 12:44:12 PM
Why is US 76 in Sumter signed both on Washington Street and US 378?   Will the real US route please stand up?

Bannerless business routes are not that uncommon in Souh Carolina:

More examples:
US 52 Bus Darlington - https://goo.gl/maps/pe89vPBbPxcWT3WaA
SC 3 Bus Springfield - https://goo.gl/maps/3cVu6FTnDZoDTXKh7
US 25 Bus Edgefield - https://goo.gl/maps/JexVdENrXLTyis5a8
US 29 Bus Anderson - https://goo.gl/maps/vfRJq7g23Sjy3GU4A
SC 28 Bus Anderson - https://goo.gl/maps/msaSC8VkbYQQJ5Ps9
SC 28 Bus Pendleton - https://goo.gl/maps/MtHXb63MvpgmwJK58
US 321-SC 9 Bus Chester - https://goo.gl/maps/4DpR7tgYLSd4K9oe6

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.