News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Welcome to signs/displays

Started by OCGuy81, October 25, 2011, 10:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Maybe it's a holdover from before exit numbers, and thus that was the only indication you were near the state line.

SidS1045

Quote from: ctsignguy on October 30, 2011, 11:04:13 AM
US 5...how sad....

In fairness, Massachusetts has a somewhat more interesting sign for its borders crossed by Interstate highways.  The "Welcome to Massachusetts" legend is decorated with pictures of the state flower (the trailing arbutus, also called the mayflower), the state bird (the chickadee) and the state fowl (the turkey).
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PurdueBill

Quote from: SidS1045 on November 08, 2011, 01:39:28 PM
In fairness, Massachusetts has a somewhat more interesting sign for its borders crossed by Interstate highways.  The "Welcome to Massachusetts" legend is decorated with pictures of the state flower (the trailing arbutus, also called the mayflower), the state bird (the chickadee) and the state fowl (the turkey).

Plus this pic shows being welcomed with a trademark Massachusetts Paddle Sign.  You don't see those everywhere, you know!

signalman

New Jersey only seems to let motorists know of the last exit in NJ when a toll bridge is to follow (I-80 in the Delaware Water Gap, I-78 to PA, I-95 GWB).  I'm not sure about the southernmost exit of the NJ Turnpike and I-295, it's been a while since I've been down that way.  I can't remember if there is one on I-78 before the Holland Tunnel either.  None that I recall on I-95 near Trenton, but the Scudder Falls bridge is a free crossing.  

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: signalman on November 08, 2011, 03:40:24 PM
New Jersey only seems to let motorists know of the last exit in NJ when a toll bridge is to follow (I-80 in the Delaware Water Gap, I-78 to PA, I-95 GWB).  I'm not sure about the southernmost exit of the NJ Turnpike and I-295, it's been a while since I've been down that way.  I can't remember if there is one on I-78 before the Holland Tunnel either.  None that I recall on I-95 near Trenton, but the Scudder Falls bridge is a free crossing. 
That happens other places too where a toll road begins at the state line. For instance, there is a sign on I-44 WB in Missouri indicating that Exit 1 is the last exit before the toll road begins in Oklahoma.

NE2

Generally I've seen 'last exit before toll' in those cases, while going the other way (if it's a one-way toll) there will be 'last exit in [state]'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

New Jersey only seems to let motorists know of the last exit in NJ when a toll bridge is to follow (I-80 in the Delaware Water Gap, I-78 to PA, I-95 GWB).  I'm not sure about the southernmost exit of the NJ Turnpike and I-295, it's been a while since I've been down that way.  I can't remember if there is one on I-78 before the Holland Tunnel either.  None that I recall on I-95 near Trenton, but the Scudder Falls bridge is a free crossing. 

I don't think that's always the case. It's been a few years, but I'm pretty certain I recall a "Last Exit in New Jersey" sign on the northbound Garden State Parkway even though you're connecting to the toll-free portion of the Thruway.

I don't drive in New Jersey nearly as often as I used to, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

signalman

Could be.  I wouldn't know.  I've only driven that section of the GSP southbound.  Furthest I've driven northbound is the Ridgewood exit, 168 or something like that.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 10, 2011, 10:57:38 AM

I don't think that's always the case. It's been a few years, but I'm pretty certain I recall a "Last Exit in New Jersey" sign on the northbound Garden State Parkway even though you're connecting to the toll-free portion of the Thruway.

I don't drive in New Jersey nearly as often as I used to, though.
You don't get them on I-95 or I-287. Street view the Parkway and you'll find it. They're not going to install or remove something like that if it has/n't been there for years.

flowmotion

Quote from: PurdueBill on October 30, 2011, 11:44:39 AM
Long-time lurker, first-time poster.  Back in July (when I took this photo), the sign on the Skyway had been updated.

Judging by my visits to Chicago, I figure there must have been 10,000 signs there with the mayor's name on them.

At Midway Airport, they even had signs like: "Shuttle Bus Parking --> Richard M. Daley Mayor". I wonder how many of them were updated and how quickly.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: SidS1045 on November 08, 2011, 01:39:28 PM
Quote from: ctsignguy on October 30, 2011, 11:04:13 AM
US 5...how sad....

Not everywhere even gets a paddle sign though. Both US 1 and MA/NH 1A's signs crossing the MA/NH border are boring. Coming into MA southbound all you get is the town line sign with a small mention of Massachusetts squeezed in the bottom, and for northbound the reverse side treats it as a regular town but says "Seabrook, NH", and is accompanied on the other side of the road by a small NH welcome sign.

Continuing west, MA 150 north of Amesbury simply gets a tiny green sign on a pole on the left side of the road welcoming you to New Hampshire, with nothing for traffic entering Mass.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 25, 2011, 11:51:56 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on October 25, 2011, 09:05:06 PM
I would have liked to see California's when I crossed the border from Nevada on I-15 in 2009, but there was no sign to be seen :-(.

that is really strange because I remember it being a fixture... and a sign style that seems to me to date to the 80s: the gold-on-blue style with italics and a graphic of poppies.

it is set back a few miles from the state line, I think.  I barely remember, exactly because it is something I pass by so often ...

if it is gone, I would be very surprised - especially since it would imply that my powers of observation failed me quite exquisitely.
Having just got back from Las Vegas a couple of days ago, I did make a concerted effort to see if there was a Welcome to California sign on I-15.  I am happy to report that Agentsteel's powers of observation are as strong as ever. :)  The blue Welcome to California sign is still located on I-15 right at the state line.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 25, 2011, 11:51:56 PMthat is really strange because I remember it being a fixture... and a sign style [California welcome sign] that seems to me to date to the 80s: the gold-on-blue style with italics and a graphic of poppies.

Actually, it dates to the early 1970's, when it was first proposed as a replacement for the bland text-only "Welcome to California" signs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SidS1045

Quote from: PurdueBill on November 08, 2011, 02:12:03 PM
Plus this pic shows being welcomed with a trademark Massachusetts Paddle Sign.  You don't see those everywhere, you know!

Actually, I see the paddle signs all the time, since I live in MA.  I just wish they hadn't abandoned the old design with the right and left sides of the top of the sign cut off.  Now THAT was unique.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Ian

Quote from: SidS1045 on November 12, 2011, 09:23:07 PM
I just wish they hadn't abandoned the old design with the right and left sides of the top of the sign cut off.  Now THAT was unique.

Agreed 100%. I wish they hadn't gotten rid of their custom font and arrow either.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

sandiaman

South Carolina's  got  my vote  for the best Welcome  sign.  That is  one classy entrance to that state.  Next, would be West Virginia  with their  over the highway gantry.  That is a bold welcome  too.  I have noticed  that if    you cross a  state  line on an Indian  Reservation,  quite often  the  state line  sign is  missing.  That could be due to the  fact that  reservations are soverign  nations.

florida

This is going off in a slight tangent, but this is the most elaborate "Welcome to _____ County" sign I've ever seen....
So many roads...so little time.

Truvelo

This isn't the usual North Carolina sign.

Speed limits limit life

NE2

Quote from: florida on November 19, 2011, 02:50:40 AM
This is going off in a slight tangent, but this is the most elaborate "Welcome to _____ County" sign I've ever seen....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monument_US_1_Brevard_Volusia_county_line.jpg
Same county, more elaborate :)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Beeper1

Quote from: Truvelo on November 19, 2011, 05:00:42 AM
This isn't the usual North Carolina sign.

That's a National Park Service sign on the Blue Ridge Parkway, right?

ghYHZ

At the Maine/New Brunswick Border (I-95 NB95)

At the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia Border

Roadgeek Adam

Surprised these PA relics haven't gotten much nod:

PA 652, Darbytown, Damascus Township, Pennsylvania.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 19, 2011, 08:37:06 PM
Surprised these PA relics haven't gotten much nod:

PA 652, Darbytown, Damascus Township, Pennsylvania.

Wow ... there's a truck that looks exactly like that sitting out in my driveway!!!!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

relaxok

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 26, 2011, 11:51:11 PM
Alberta/Northwest Territories border on the Mackenzie Highway.  apparently, this is a very new installation - Google Street View has something older.

Wow! I love it!  Not exactly tasteful but it looks especially good in that photo with the night sky.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.