News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

^

TIL....that there's a Buc-ee's where the Express meets I-10...

Plutonic Panda

Alabama has got to have some of the lowest quality gas stations overall I've ever seen.

Georgia

I agree with the post above, and having visited that Buc-ee's multiple times, it is gloriously welcome on that stretch of 10. 

Cant wait for the next few Buc-ee's to open up in Leeds AL, Calhoun, GA and WR, GA. 

Plutonic Panda

I wish Buc-ee's would open up in Oklahoma. Rumor has it they are going close to SH-9 and I-35 area but nothing solid yet. I'd love one there and one near Ardmore.

formulanone

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 14, 2020, 12:01:16 PM
Alabama has got to have some of the lowest quality gas stations overall I've ever seen.

Quote from: Georgia on October 20, 2020, 01:05:59 AM
I agree with the post above, and having visited that Buc-ee's multiple times, it is gloriously welcome on that stretch of 10. 

Cant wait for the next few Buc-ee's to open up in Leeds AL, Calhoun, GA and WR, GA. 

Alabama doesn't have a state-wide chain or a regional brand of branded gas/convenience stores. Maybe pockets of C-stores in a county or two, like Wavaho in the Tennessee Valley, or Jet-Pep in the northern third of the state. Mapco might be one of the few that operates in multiple states (TN and MS), but their presence is usually just in the Huntsville area.

Mostly, it's a mom-and-pop business; I just aim for the bigger brands (usually in high-traffic areas) or whichever looks the least run-down.

I-55

Quote from: formulanone on October 20, 2020, 05:53:56 AM

Alabama doesn't have a state-wide chain or a regional brand of branded gas/convenience stores. Maybe pockets of C-stores in a county or two, like Wavaho in the Tennessee Valley, or Jet-Pep in the northern third of the state. Mapco might be one of the few that operates in multiple states (TN and MS), but their presence is usually just in the Huntsville area.

Mostly, it's a mom-and-pop business; I just aim for the bigger brands (usually in high-traffic areas) or whichever looks the least run-down.

I tend to always lean for the national chains because when I use local stations I often have to deal with card readers. It happened to me over Labor Day last year at a Break Time in Sikeston, MO.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

codyg1985

It appears that Jet Pep got bought out by Marathon.

I usually stick to Mapco when I am in Huntsville.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Georgia

Yep, I generally do Mapco's if I need gas in NE Alabama. Jet Pep's generally grungy look frankly scare me at most of their locations. 

I have been impressed by that Twice Daily there on the Wall Triana exit in HSV

bdmoss88

If you're on an interstate in Alabama you are mostly within an hour or two of a Love's.

I-55

Quote from: bdmoss88 on October 23, 2020, 03:54:07 PM
If you're on an interstate in Alabama you are mostly within an hour or two of a Love's.

Can be said about a lot of places, in Indiana its more like 30-45 minutes (if you were to pick a direction and drive to the nearest one).

I can say this though, if I'm gonna be on I-20/59 between Meridian and Tuscaloosa, I'm getting off at either Exit 154 in Meridian or Exit 71 in Tuscaloosa, because there is absolutely NOTHING between the two. You could try Exit 17 at Livingston but your options are limited far beyond that of the previous two I mentioned.

codyg1985

Quote from: I-55 on October 24, 2020, 03:00:21 AM
Quote from: bdmoss88 on October 23, 2020, 03:54:07 PM

Can be said about a lot of places, in Indiana its more like 30-45 minutes (if you were to pick a direction and drive to the nearest one).

I can say this though, if I'm gonna be on I-20/59 between Meridian and Tuscaloosa, I'm getting off at either Exit 154 in Meridian or Exit 71 in Tuscaloosa, because there is absolutely NOTHING between the two. You could try Exit 17 at Livingston but your options are limited far beyond that of the previous two I mentioned.

A Love's recently opened at Exit 40 off of I-20/59 near Eutaw.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Quote from: Georgia on October 23, 2020, 02:13:26 PM
Yep, I generally do Mapco's if I need gas in NE Alabama. Jet Pep's generally grungy look frankly scare me at most of their locations. 

I have been impressed by that Twice Daily there on the Wall Triana exit in HSV

Twice Daily is a good brand too. They are based in Nashville, and have lots of locations within Nashville metro.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

A Buc-ees is also coming to I-65 at Exit 347 in Athens.
Cody Goodman

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 21, 2020, 12:15:33 AM

It appears that Jet Pep got bought out by Marathon.

I usually stick to Mapco when I am in Huntsville.

That would be counter intuitive  because Marathon just sold all their Speedways to 7-11 for $21 billion.  The Marathon board wanted to be out of the convenience  store business.

Tomahawkin

Im really suprised that QT has not expanded into Alabama, especially the Anniston area? A lot of people who live there, work in the Atlanta area. They choose so because houses are a hell of a lot cheaper West of Villa Rica and there is less traffic to an extent...

froggie

Exit 32/Boligee has a Chevron that was a usual stop for me when I was stationed in Meridian, both because it tended to have cheaper gas than Tuscaloosa and because it had an in-station Subway.  Granted, we're talking close to 20 years ago now.

I-55

Quote from: froggie on October 25, 2020, 08:17:58 PM

Exit 32/Boligee has a Chevron that was a usual stop for me when I was stationed in Meridian, both because it tended to have cheaper gas than Tuscaloosa and because it had an in-station Subway.  Granted, we're talking close to 20 years ago now.

It did shock me that when I was recently in Meridian the gas prices were actually the cheapest along I-59, usually Meridian is the most expensive gas I see.

clong

Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 24, 2020, 09:42:51 PM
Im really suprised that QT has not expanded into Alabama, especially the Anniston area? A lot of people who live there, work in the Atlanta area. They choose so because houses are a hell of a lot cheaper West of Villa Rica and there is less traffic to an extent...

I was told QT would be a long time coming (or never) to AL because of:
1. No Lottery Sales
2. No Convenience Store Liquor Sales

Tomahawkin

Oh, wow, that's makes sense though... Thanks for the 411

msunat97

Any news about how the Highway 98 work is proceeding west of Mobile?  There are no new press releases on the Highway 98 website in 2 years.

codyg1985

Quote from: msunat97 on October 29, 2020, 10:19:37 AM
Any news about how the Highway 98 work is proceeding west of Mobile?  There are no new press releases on the Highway 98 website in 2 years.

The remainder of it is being built in stages as a two-lane facility between the state line and Newburn Road. The other lanes will be built as funding becomes available.
Cody Goodman

Tom958

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 29, 2020, 12:24:44 PM
Quote from: msunat97 on October 29, 2020, 10:19:37 AM

The remainder of it is being built in stages as a two-lane facility between the state line and Newburn Road. The other lanes will be built as funding becomes available.

AL 158, future US 98, over College Parkway, a mile west of I-65. The older bridge was built in 1967, the newer in 2005.  :-/

clong

Quote from: clong on October 26, 2020, 03:11:33 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 24, 2020, 09:42:51 PM

I was told QT would be a long time coming (or never) to AL because of:
1. No Lottery Sales
2. No Convenience Store Liquor Sales

And apparently 2020 changed this stance as well:
QT to open first Alabama store in Calera
https://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/2020/12/01/quiktrip-expected-to-break-ground-in-december/

Tomahawkin

Yes! QT in Alabama! I so need one in Anniston and in Jasper along the IH 22 Corridor or in Hamilton along the Old US 78 route, those gas stations lost a lot of revenue when 22 was completed

Georgia

I have seen a lot of ALDOT/ALDOT contractor survey crews along 565 near Wall Triana the last few months, is there a upcoming project in the near future?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.