Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

SW Pennsylvania

<< < (3/48) > >>

Mr_Northside:
They've been replacing some signs on the West End Bridge and approaches... replacing the "boxy" changable signs that have been there for years.
I noticed this sign yesterday while on a bike ride (I'll take as many upper-50's/60's days in Winter that Mother Nature wants to dish out!):

This is the first time I'm aware of that PA-65 South is mentioned from the W.E. Bridge.  
Up until about 2 years ago, SB Ohio River Blvd had a BGS prior to going under the West End Bridge that said "END 65", and I can't recall any signs after it indicating SB 65 going all the way to the Ft. Duquesne Bridge.

EDIT:  I guess it should say "TO" North Truck 19.  Either that, or, with all the West End Circle work directly connecting the bridge to the PA-51 highway, PennDOT is planning on moving the "Truck" route to the West End Bridge... Which could be a good idea. With the height restrictions, and some cargo restrictions thru the Ft. Pitt Tunnels, a "Truck" route that can accommodate more trucks makes sense.

rickmastfan67:

--- Quote from: Mr_Northside on February 01, 2012, 12:49:09 PM ---EDIT:  I guess it should say "TO" North Truck 19.  Either that, or, with all the West End Circle work directly connecting the bridge to the PA-51 highway, PennDOT is planning on moving the "Truck" route to the West End Bridge... Which could be a good idea. With the height restrictions, and some cargo restrictions thru the Ft. Pitt Tunnels, a "Truck" route that can accommodate more trucks makes sense.

--- End quote ---

Weirdly enough, but it seems like they've always had no "TO" when referencing North Truck US-19 on the WEB (per StreetView).  I mean, if they do want to reroute it onto the WEB officially, they need to submit an application to the AASHTO as Truck US-19 is the only officially approved Truck Route that I know of.  Then you would have the crazy thing of US-19 and Truck US-19 sharing the same highway.  But you could eliminate that confusion by putting US-19 onto the Parkways to replace Truck US-19 on them.  The signage @ Exit #1B-C is already setup for that.

Mr_Northside:
Hopped off the bike to walk across (most of) the West End Bridge today (A cloudless day in the 'Burgh, which could end up being in the top 5 nicest of the year....)

They've replaced all the sings, including the changeable "box signs" (can't think of a better name) with regular signs with some list portions.

This is the sign bridge preceding the one I photoed a couple of weeks ago.  Still worded so it makes it seem like the southernmost mile of Ohio River Blvd is a wrong-way duplex of Truck North US-19 & South PA-65.

View of the new changeable lit signs, looking southbound.  The way the picture was taken makes the "Both Lanes" look like there may be issues with the sign, but to look at it (without the camera), it looks quite fine.

A closer up view of the signs in the previous pic.  Once again, the apparent defects in the lit signs only appear in the picture.  (they look fine without the camera).  And, as you can kind of tell in the previous pic, the "background' of the "Both Lanes" is actually a green that closely matches the regular sign.

agentsteel53:
I think the green background issues you photographed have to do with the refresh rate of the digital display.  it's similar to taking a photo of an old CRT monitor - you might not get the entire image.  in this case, you do not get all the green.  it is imperceptible to the eye, but at the very short exposure lengths used in daytime photography, you can observe the issue.

qguy:

--- Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 14, 2012, 06:51:23 PM ---The way the picture was taken makes the "Both Lanes" look like there may be issues with the sign, but to look at it (without the camera), it looks quite fine.

Once again, the apparent defects in the lit signs only appear in the picture.  (they look fine without the camera).

--- End quote ---

The shorthand way of saying that is "artifact of the camera" if it's the result of the way the camera captured the image, or "artifact of the photograph" if it's the result of the way the image is processed, printed, or displayed.

As in "That weird thing going on there with the sign is merely artifact of the camera."  :biggrin:

So now that the West End project is all finished, how's it working out? Does traffic flow well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version