News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylert120

Even though PennDOT switched back to Clearview, they just replaced a guide sign on PA 791 (Rodi Rd, Penn Hills) and it uses Highway Gothic. Interestingly, PennDOT just replaced a guide sign nearby on SR 2058 (Leechburg Rd, Penn Hills) a few weeks back and it used Clearview.

Roadsguy

Quote from: tylert120 on July 14, 2019, 07:33:32 AM
Even though PennDOT switched back to Clearview, they just replaced a guide sign on PA 791 (Rodi Rd, Penn Hills) and it uses Highway Gothic. Interestingly, PennDOT just replaced a guide sign nearby on SR 2058 (Leechburg Rd, Penn Hills) a few weeks back and it used Clearview.

Huh. I wonder if the project for that sign was sitting in the pipeline for a while or if there's a bit more to it. Just a few weeks ago, I checked ECMS and saw that one of the most recently posted projects (last two weeks) was the adding of a roundabout at the end of the Shenango Valley Freeway in Hermitage. The large roundabout guide signs (typical style with the circle and branching arrows) had mixed-case Highway Gothic for the mall entrance. Whether those signs are fabricated that way once the project starts is another story...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

tylert120

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 14, 2019, 08:09:48 AM

Huh. I wonder if the project for that sign was sitting in the pipeline for a while or if there's a bit more to it. Just a few weeks ago, I checked ECMS and saw that one of the most recently posted projects (last two weeks) was the adding of a roundabout at the end of the Shenango Valley Freeway in Hermitage. The large roundabout guide signs (typical style with the circle and branching arrows) had mixed-case Highway Gothic for the mall entrance. Whether those signs are fabricated that way once the project starts is another story...

See that would make sense. But the sign they replaced that used Highway Gothic was just replacing an old guide sign that was recently damaged.

How do you get into ECMS? I've tried as a guest but you can't see anything. Thanks!

Roadsguy

Quote from: tylert120 on July 14, 2019, 08:53:46 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on July 14, 2019, 08:09:48 AM

See that would make sense. But the sign they replaced that used Highway Gothic was just replacing an old guide sign that was recently damaged.

How do you get into ECMS? I've tried as a guest but you can't see anything. Thanks!

You log in as a guest, but then go to Solicitation > Contractors > Bid Packages. Here you can use Advanced Search to search based on various criteria such as district, route number, etc., or use New Postings to view everything from the past two weeks.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

rickmastfan67

PennDOT, you had one job, don't confuse people.

https://goo.gl/maps/pUqykuMteJ6tg1P6A

NOTE: it was correct before there, just go back in time on StreetView.

Revive 755

^ Those signs are a bit redundant when there's already an advance lane use sign mast arm on that leg anyway.

Roadsguy

Something I haven't seen anyone mention but just spotted in satellite imagery: the stub section of the Industrial Highway in western Pittsburgh was recently reconstructed. A PennDOT press release indicates that it's been almost three years since this was done. What makes this interesting is that rather than simply repave the road and remove stubs, the entire thing was modernized as if it were completed. Almost all of the medians were replaced, and they replaced concrete at both ends of the road, including the whole southern stub, and the road remains two lanes each way.

This makes me think they might still be considering extending the road. It seems bizarre that in the age of road diets, they neither completely removed the stubs nor reduced the width of the road.

CanesFan27

Not often do you hear or read about state DOT's selling the land that they acquired for a freeway back to the general public.  But in 1982, that happened in White Oak, Pennsylvania - a community just outside of Pittsburgh.

15 years earlier PennDOT acquired over 130 parcels of property - including a beloved amusement park - consisting of over 400 acres to build about a two-mile stretch of a new PA 48 expressway.  Problem was the 1970s happened and PennDOT did not have the funds to construct the highway.

The Borough of White Oak wanted the highway built but was suffering the loss of tax revenue as a result of the right-of-way purchases.  They asked the state to sell back the land and finally, in 1982, Pennsylvania began that process. 

Some of the land was sold back to the original owners - some it went to auction - and some including the old Rainbow Gardens property took nearly a decade to sell.

The Great PA 48 Clearance Sale.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/12/the-great-pa-48-clearance-sale.html

ski-man

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 27, 2020, 08:44:43 PM
Not often do you hear or read about state DOT's selling the land that they acquired for a freeway back to the general public.  But in 1982, that happened in White Oak, Pennsylvania - a community just outside of Pittsburgh.

15 years earlier PennDOT acquired over 130 parcels of property - including a beloved amusement park - consisting of over 400 acres to build about a two-mile stretch of a new PA 48 expressway.  Problem was the 1970s happened and PennDOT did not have the funds to construct the highway.

The Borough of White Oak wanted the highway built but was suffering the loss of tax revenue as a result of the right-of-way purchases.  They asked the state to sell back the land and finally, in 1982, Pennsylvania began that process. 

Some of the land was sold back to the original owners - some it went to auction - and some including the old Rainbow Gardens property took nearly a decade to sell.

The Great PA 48 Clearance Sale.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/12/the-great-pa-48-clearance-sale.html
I lived in this area in the 70's & early 80's. Always wondered what was going on in that area. Thanks for the post and the info.

CanesFan27

Jeff Kitsko shared this with me the other day - but Bruce Cridlebaugh's pghbridges.com (Bridges and Tunnels of Allegheny County) appears to be no more.

Bruce along with his site was one of my early influences within the hobby.  His field research and his eagerness to tell some of the backstories on so many things during 1997-02 made SW Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh an early model in roadgeeking.

Bruce personally along with his site was a great help on some of my early SWPA Roads Projects items - something that after two decades and while still in North Carolina, I am slowly trying to recharge.

I hope he is doing well and his work will surely be missed.

seicer

I don't think much of his site had been updated in 3 years, but it is still accessible at http://pghbridges.com/

CanesFan27

Quote from: seicer on April 02, 2021, 08:32:19 PM
I don't think much of his site had been updated in 3 years, but it is still accessible at http://pghbridges.com/

Yup, Bruce accidentally let it expire.  I've been in communication with him since his site returned online.

CanesFan27

Earlier this month, I took a trip home to Pittsburgh and ended up driving the entire length of the Orange Belt.  (On a personal note, I grew up on the Orange Belt so it's always been a part of my life).  During this 90+ mile, three and half hour drive, I found myself appreciating this uniquely Pittsburgh institution, yet at the same time questioning the current-day usefulness of the system.

My feature on the Orange Belt: https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/04/one-long-drive-allegheny-countys-orange.html

Hopefully, future trips home (without kids/family) will allow me to drive the full lengths of the other belt routes.

rickmastfan67

Duquesne - McKeesport Bridge was just possibly hit by a barge this morning.  Closed till they can do an inspection.

https://twitter.com/WPXITraffic/status/1390227674862395401

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 23, 2021, 10:13:58 AM
PennDOT - District 11 News: Northbound Freeport Road Ramp to the Highland Park Bridge Permanent Closure Begins Monday in Sharpsburg

I am not sure if it is truly a permanent closure based on the news release.
It's a permanent closure of this particular ramp. In the future, traffic will turn left and merge onto the current southbound ramp to the Highland Park Bridge.

This change makes some sense. The current ramp has no merge area and ends at a stop sign, whereas the other ramp is an add lane. This should smooth flow getting on to the bridge itself.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 23, 2021, 03:14:41 PM
PennDOT - District 11 News: Northbound Freeport Road Ramp to the Highland Park Bridge Permanent Closure Begins Monday in Sharpsburg

It's a permanent closure of this particular ramp. In the future, traffic will turn left and merge onto the current southbound ramp to the Highland Park Bridge.

More on this:
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/07/23/freeport-road-highland-park-bridge-ramp-closure/

rickmastfan67

74/171FAN

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 26, 2021, 06:00:32 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 24, 2021, 01:15:32 AM
Quote from: Bitmapped on July 23, 2021, 03:14:41 PM

More on this:
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/07/23/freeport-road-highland-park-bridge-ramp-closure/

And some more:
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/07/26/penndot-closing-ramp-from-freeport-rd-to-highland-park-bridge/

And now PennDOT is reversing themselves and reopening the ramp @ 9AM this morning (08/02) till November when the replacement left turn movement to access the SB Freeport Road ramp onto the Highland Park Bridge is opened.  However, truck traffic will now be banned from using the ramp till the new one is open.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/08/02/penndot-to-reopen-northbound-ramp-to-highland-park-bridge/

74/171FAN

ARMOURERERIC

MASTERNC

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 24, 2021, 08:23:03 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 26, 2021, 08:29:53 PM
PennDOT - District 11 News: I-376 Banksville Interchange Project Online Virtual Public Open House Thursday
I viewed the proposed design, I wonder how they will get any hazmat/oversize that overshot the exit off the highway.

They might have to move the overheight detectors further uphill.  Same with hazmat signage.

The concern I have is more of runaway trucks using the ramp instead of the escape ramp, since they are so close.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.