Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

SW Pennsylvania

<< < (46/47) > >>

Mr_Northside:

--- Quote from: MASTERNC on August 24, 2021, 09:27:38 AM ---I viewed the proposed design, I wonder how they will get any hazmat/oversize that overshot the exit off the highway.

--- End quote ---

They'll probably just turn them around at the base of the tunnels.  That's what they started doing with the inbound Squirrel Hill tunnel.   They used to try and direct traffic off @ Edgewood / Swissvale with detectors and lights, but they shifted that a few years ago to the tunnel plaza.   What sucks about making that standard operating procedure is it requires that traffic be stopped while the over-height vehicle turns around.
(Outbound [EB] over-height traffic is directed to get off @ Squirrel Hill when the lights are flashing)

--- Quote ---The concern I have is more of runaway trucks using the ramp instead of the escape ramp, since they are so close.

--- End quote ---
I've always kind of wondered how much use that runaway truck ramp gets. 

rickmastfan67:

--- Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 24, 2021, 04:14:01 PM ---
--- Quote ---The concern I have is more of runaway trucks using the ramp instead of the escape ramp, since they are so close.

--- End quote ---
I've always kind of wondered how much use that runaway truck ramp gets.

--- End quote ---

Enough to be justified I'm sure.  It's almost always not needed during Rush Hour though, due to traffic going at a snails pace already due to the weave condition at the bottom of the hill.

rickmastfan67:

--- Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 26, 2021, 08:29:53 PM ---PennDOT - District 11 News: I-376 Banksville Interchange Project Online Virtual Public Open House Thursday

--- End quote ---

Watching the video, I hope somebody pointed out the following to them in the animation that might still cause a lot of trouble.

They show Banksville Road merging onto I-376 with 2 lanes and with the 2 lanes from I-376, merging into only 3 lanes.  That will be a nightmare trying to force 2 lanes of traffic into one lane (the right lane on I-376 & the left lane on the ramp from Banksville to form a 'middle' lane).  They really need to turn Banksville into a single lane by the time of the merge onto I-376.

JoeP2:
So in catching, I see the comments about the Banksville changes, but it seems for years there were planned changes to Greentree (and maybe Carnegie?) - what happened to those interchange/ramp changes. It's really appalling that Greentree has the most asinine and unsafe ramps imaginable.

lepidopteran:
In reference to the Banksville Interchange, you know how the highway runs under two adjacent railroad bridges, one taller and one shorter?  Surprisingly, the shorter bridge is still present in the "after" video, even though it looks like the tracks across it haven't been used in a long time (and another bridge that took them over Route 51 along the river was removed sometime within the last 10 years).  You'd think having those abutments out of the way would make for a wider roadway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version