News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Yesterday, I received an email from LaDOTD asking me to participate in their red light camera survey because I have emailed them in the past with various questions.  In case anyone wishes to participate in the survey, or just has general interest, here is the link to LaDOTD's press release about the survey (which in turn has a link to the survey itself):
http://www.dotd.la.gov/pressreleases/release.aspx?key=1859

UptownRoadGeek

I-12 Expansion Set Near Walker

They might as well just widen it from end to end. Now, moving eastward he have this.

Causeway Boulevard Interchange Project

lamsalfl

I started a new thread basically to advertise the splash factor, but this could probably be merged into the Louisiana thread soon enough.

ask and ye shall receive...

No article, but a reply to an e-mail I sent regarding the state's plans for further widening of I-10 and I-12.  The state recently broke ground this week on the continued eastward trend of 6-laning I-12, this time from Juban Road (the new Exit 12) to Walker (Exit 15).  It was also announced that due to the bids coming in under budget, there is leftover money to go another 2 to 3 miles eastward almost to the Satsuma exit (19).

I-10 is currently being widened from I-12 to eastward to Highland Road (Exit 166).  

Here is the reply after being asked about continuing east on both Interstates.  

Following the recent addition of the $21.9 million project to widen 3.2 miles of I-12 from four to six travel lanes between Juban Road and the Walker interchange, the Department is planning to widen I-12 from two to three lanes from the Walker Interchange approximately two to three miles east towards Satsuma. Additionally, we are in the process of conducting a study that will help to identify what type of improvements need to be made (widening, interchange improvements, safety, etc.) on I-12 from Livingston Parish to the I-10/I-12/I-59 interchange in St. Tammany. It will also include a preliminary environmental inventory.   The study is scheduled to be completed in March 2012.  
Regarding the I-10, the Department has completed a study to widen I-10 to six travel lanes from I-10/I-12 split to LA HWY 22 in Ascension Parish. Construction is currently underway from the split to Highland road.  Our staff is reviewing the recommendations of this study from Highland road to LA 22.

The DOTD was very quick to reply to any questions if you just e-mail them.  

ShawnP

froggie

Instead of going "almost to the Satsuma exit", I'd take a lane on one side all the way to Exit 19 instead of dropping both short of the interchange.  Which lane gets taken to the exit would depend on whether the westbound AM or eastbound PM had the higher volume.

lamsalfl

Quote from: froggie on December 21, 2011, 10:09:20 PM
Instead of going "almost to the Satsuma exit", I'd take a lane on one side all the way to Exit 19 instead of dropping both short of the interchange.  Which lane gets taken to the exit would depend on whether the westbound AM or eastbound PM had the higher volume.

If the funding comes up (for argument's sake) 800 feet short of the interchange, I would imagine they'd find the funding to finish it to Satsuma...IF it's short enough. 

brownpelican

QuoteRegarding the I-10, the Department has completed a study to widen I-10 to six travel lanes from I-10/I-12 split to LA HWY 22 in Ascension Parish. Construction is currently underway from the split to Highland road.  Our staff is reviewing the recommendations of this study from Highland road to LA 22.

Believe me, the traffic justifies widening to Sorrento (La. 22).

brownpelican

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on October 16, 2011, 10:14:30 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 29, 2011, 11:11:20 PM
So the signs in Baton Rouge have been replaced again so the left exit tabs are now black on yellow?

As of a couple of days ago they have.

Drove I-110 Sunday. Nearly every overhead sign has been replaced with Clearview. Even the numbers in the shields on the overheads at Airline Highway, Harding Blvd/Southern/Metro Airport, Hwy 19 and Scenic Highway is in the font.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: brownpelican on December 28, 2011, 03:27:21 AM
Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on October 16, 2011, 10:14:30 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 29, 2011, 11:11:20 PM
So the signs in Baton Rouge have been replaced again so the left exit tabs are now black on yellow?

As of a couple of days ago they have.

Drove I-110 Sunday. Nearly every overhead sign has been replaced with Clearview. Even the numbers in the shields on the overheads at Airline Highway, Harding Blvd/Southern/Metro Airport, Hwy 19 and Scenic Highway is in the font.

Those signs weren't even five years old.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

brownpelican

A few things from the Pelican State:

The contractor who was fired from the I-10 portion of the Geaux Wider project has sued LADOT for breach of contract and says the state is responsible for delays that pushed the project's completion back a year.
http://theadvocate.com/home/1846818-125/fired-i-10-contractor-sues-state.html

LADOT announced it has up to $15 million left from the I-12 widening from Juban Road to Walker to extend the widening to almost the Satsuma/Coyell exit.
http://theadvocate.com/news/1848322-123/leftover-funds-could-widen-interstate.html

More local boards are opposing the Baton Rouge loop.
http://theadvocate.com/news/1849745-123/board-council-join-loop-opposition.html

Although not in the news, radio host and actor John "Spud" McConnell discussed the possibility of a public/private partnership to finish I-49 South on his show today.

Darkchylde

Ain't seen this here yet, but the US 11 bridge across Lake Pontchartrain is closed til May so the railings can be replaced.

Story: http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2012/01/us_11_bridge_linking_new_orlea.html

Plan accordingly.

codyg1985

What's wrong with the old railings? Those look better and go with the look of the bridge better anyway.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

brownpelican

Clearview has made it to Hammond. All signs at the I-12/I-55 interchange and the signs posted on the I-12 overpass on SW Railroad Ave. have been replaced with new signs featuring the font.

The task force charged with deciding if Crescent City Connection tolls should be extended after this year voted 7-1 to recommend the state legislature to renew them.
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/01/state_panel_votes_to_issue_rep.html

Darkchylde

There's Clearview at the Exit 63 complex on I-12 and US 190 between Mandeville and Covington now as well - they replaced the signs just the other night.

codyg1985

Notes from my trip to New Orleans this weekend:

- All of the overhead signs along I-10 in Slidell have been replaced with Clearview, even the ones that were recently placed on the new twin spans and the US 190 Business interchange.

- Some exit gore signs in Orleans Parish have been replaced with Clearview.

- Two tenth mile markers have been placed on the I-10 twin spans as well as along I-10 and I-610 in Orleans Parish (from I-510 west) and Jefferson Parish. However, two different styles of markers are used. On the twin spans, all markers have the cardinal direction and the interstate shield on them but the ones in New Orleans Metro that are two tenth mile markers just look like ordinary mile markers with the decimal below that. I wonder why two different styles were used? I didn't get to check out US 90 Business or I-310 or I-510 to see if they had the tenth mile markers.

- New signs have been placed on the Huey P Long bridge project over what will be the main lanes coming down to each interchange on either end of the bridge itself. The signs are in clearview and feature what appear to be stand-alone shield slapped onto BGS signs:

Cody Goodman

DeaconG

^Clearview for the Clearview Parkway!  Now THAT'S serendipity!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

agentsteel53

are the cateyed signs still present on either end of the bridge?  they give the bridge name and date of construction.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

codyg1985

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 07, 2012, 12:05:18 PM
are the cateyed signs still present on either end of the bridge?  they give the bridge name and date of construction.

Yes, they are present on both sides. I don't know if they will remain or not.
Cody Goodman

brownpelican

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 07, 2012, 12:06:11 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 07, 2012, 12:05:18 PM

Yes, they are present on both sides. I don't know if they will remain or not.

Yes, they will remain. They will be moved to allow for construction to be completed and will be put back in an unspecified location.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 07, 2012, 08:49:48 AM
- Two tenth mile markers have been placed on the I-10 twin spans as well as along I-10 and I-610 in Orleans Parish (from I-510 west) and Jefferson Parish. However, two different styles of markers are used. On the twin spans, all markers have the cardinal direction and the interstate shield on them but the ones in New Orleans Metro that are two tenth mile markers just look like ordinary mile markers with the decimal below that. I wonder why two different styles were used? I didn't get to check out US 90 Business or I-310 or I-510 to see if they had the tenth mile markers.

The 2/10 markers with the interstate shields have been in place for about 2 years and can also be found on the Pontchartrain Expwy (or whatever they renamed it) portion of the I-10. The new larger 2/10 mile markers were just added last year and alternate between the original 2/10 markers with shields in some places. I don't have the slightest idea of what caused them to go back to the older style for the Twinspan.

-

brownpelican

Let the graphics tell ya.

Where the I-10/Causeway/Veterans project now stands:

A look at the new Causeway to I-10 ramps (T-P pic):

Story:
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2012/02/top_highway_officials_praise_c.html

brownpelican

LaDOTD Secretary Sherri LeBas unveiled a plan for state maintenance of the Crescent City Connection if the tolls expire at the end of the year. They include:

* Painting each span every 20 years at $30 million per span.
* Bridge inspections every two years at $800,000 each.
* Privatizing the Chalmette, Algiers and Gretna ferries.
* Local governments become responsible for bridge lighting at $800,000/year.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/02/state_presents_post-toll_plan.html

apjung

achilles765

Quote from: cjk374 on February 02, 2011, 11:05:37 PM
I have a couple of questions involving mileage signs on US and LA highways...1)  How is the distance between 2 towns calculated?  On the west side of Arcadia on US 80 the old mileage sign read:  GIBSLAND 8    MINDEN 24.  About 2 years ago the LADOTD put up a new sign that now reads:  GIBSLAND 7    MINDEN 22.  Did the road shrink?   :confused:

2)  I'm beginning to think this may only be in my part of the state, but it seems to me there aren't enough directional signs (for towns listed at intersections) or mileage signs.  Does anyone else think this is the case?  I know there used to be more of these signs when I was growing up (even remember the mileages listed for the towns also), but they have disappeared and I don't think they will return.

From what I can tell, the mileage calculations seem to be from the point where the sign is posted to the actuall incorporated limits.  That is, the distance is from that point to the sign that states "TOWN"  Corp. Limit
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: achilles765 on February 29, 2012, 04:17:44 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on February 02, 2011, 11:05:37 PM
I have a couple of questions involving mileage signs on US and LA highways...1)  How is the distance between 2 towns calculated?  On the west side of Arcadia on US 80 the old mileage sign read:  GIBSLAND 8    MINDEN 24.  About 2 years ago the LADOTD put up a new sign that now reads:  GIBSLAND 7    MINDEN 22.  Did the road shrink?   :confused:

2)  I'm beginning to think this may only be in my part of the state, but it seems to me there aren't enough directional signs (for towns listed at intersections) or mileage signs.  Does anyone else think this is the case?  I know there used to be more of these signs when I was growing up (even remember the mileages listed for the towns also), but they have disappeared and I don't think they will return.

From what I can tell, the mileage calculations seem to be from the point where the sign is posted to the actuall incorporated limits.  That is, the distance is from that point to the sign that states "TOWN"  Corp. Limit

Certainly is true when driving I-10 EB to New Orleans.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.