News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

Quote from: achilles765 on February 29, 2012, 04:17:44 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on February 02, 2011, 11:05:37 PM
I have a couple of questions involving mileage signs on US and LA highways...1)  How is the distance between 2 towns calculated?  On the west side of Arcadia on US 80 the old mileage sign read:  GIBSLAND 8    MINDEN 24.  About 2 years ago the LADOTD put up a new sign that now reads:  GIBSLAND 7    MINDEN 22.  Did the road shrink?   :confused:

2)  I'm beginning to think this may only be in my part of the state, but it seems to me there aren't enough directional signs (for towns listed at intersections) or mileage signs.  Does anyone else think this is the case?  I know there used to be more of these signs when I was growing up (even remember the mileages listed for the towns also), but they have disappeared and I don't think they will return.

From what I can tell, the mileage calculations seem to be from the point where the sign is posted to the actuall incorporated limits.  That is, the distance is from that point to the sign that states "TOWN"  Corp. Limit

Well some of LA interstates, like 49 and 20 post to the center of the city. Shreveport mileage always leads to exit 19 on I 20, the main downtown exit, and IIRC Monroe mileage leads to 116 around Jackson St. The only one that isn't to the center of town are the signs for Shreveport as you come up 49 northbound. Mileage still reflects when I-49 ended at the Inner Loop (LA 3132) at exit 201.

As far as on US and LA highways I think you're right about it being to the outer limits of towns. And I know there were instances of changing mileage signs on US 165 south from Monroe to Alexandria. IIRC there was a sign leaving either Olla or Tullos for mileage to Georgetown and Alexandria, then after Georgetown the mileage to Alexandria was shorter than it should have been. Who knows if the number was meant for Downtown Alexandria, or whether it was meant to follow mainline 165 or BUS 165 through the middle of town.  165 was under construction for so long making it 4 lanes that it needs new mileage signs on that whole stretch. Louisiana definitely needs MORE mileage signs on the US hwys and some of the state highways too.

brownpelican

Causeway officials voted unanimously to have a fifth lane and tollbooth constructed at the Northshore toll plaza.
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2012/03/causeway_commission_signs_off.html

So far, the new southbound Causeway to I-10 ramps are getting good reviews by the public.
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2012/03/new_interstate_10_ramps_at_cau.html#incart_mce

brownpelican

Huey P. Long Bridge traffic will shift to two new lanes that was constructed at the end of the month. That will allow the current lanes to be demolished and remaining new lanes to be built.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2012/04/narrow_huey_p_long_bridge_lane.html

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: brownpelican on April 11, 2012, 04:24:36 PM
Huey P. Long Bridge traffic will shift to two new lanes that was constructed at the end of the month. That will allow the current lanes to be demolished and remaining new lanes to be built.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2012/04/narrow_huey_p_long_bridge_lane.html

NE2

Off-topic: How's Boutte pronounced? Boo-tay?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Backplated shields on an overhead, ugh. Never cared for that NJ practice.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: NE2 on April 12, 2012, 01:05:46 PM

boo-TEE

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on April 12, 2012, 02:55:16 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 12, 2012, 01:05:46 PM

boo-TEE

Unless you're speaking of John Boutte (http://www.johnboutte.com/). In which case it is Bou-tay.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

bassoon1986

^^^

The old style font/signs  or the greened out LA shield?

US71

I-49; This was replaced in 2011

I-20; Taken in 2004, replaced in 2005
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bassoon1986

lamsalfl

I wonder if people mispronounce the Hou in Houma the same way as Houston.

That pronunciation is HO-ma just like the last 4 letters of Oklahoma.  

bassoon1986

But I have heard some strong Cajun accents from that city call it HOO-ma, not quite like the HOU in Houston. HO-ma is more common though

mcdonaat

One thing I want to see done is Louisiana delete La 182 along the old US 90 segments once I-49 is signed and finished, and stick the 90 designation back on the old 2-lane road. Tons of bridges still say US 90, so it would fit perfectly.
Same thing with La 182 north of Lafayette, sign it as US 167 (aka old SR 26) once again. Adds to the historic value! You don't see US 51 paired with I-55 north of Hammond... and the same with US 80 along the I-20 corridor

froggie

Won't happen.  Goes against AASHTO policy on US routes.

mcdonaat

Quote from: froggie on April 22, 2012, 09:31:45 AM
Won't happen.  Goes against AASHTO policy on US routes.

What exactly would AASHTO have against restoring a U.S. route to its former alignment? Just move the old highways back to where they were, originally, and make the Interstate alignment a Bypass route, like I-49 through Alexandria is also US 71 Bypass.

EDIT: U.S. 45 in Michigan was moved onto a new alignment, then returned to its original alignment

froggie

QuoteWhat exactly would AASHTO have against restoring a U.S. route to its former alignment? Just move the old highways back to where they were, originally, and make the Interstate alignment a Bypass route, like I-49 through Alexandria is also US 71 Bypass.

Simple.  The following two quotes, directly from Section H01 of AASHTO's Transportation Policy Book.

- The purpose of the U.S. road numbering and marking system is to facilitate travel on the main interstate lines, over the shortest routes and the best roads.
- Those sections where the Interstate system is developed over an existing U.S. numbered route, both the U.S. and the Interstate system
shields and route numbers shall be used to mark those sections which are coincident.

The first one would make it directly contrary to policy to route the US highway back onto the old road.  The second is AASHTO's solution to where an Interstate is routed onto an existing US highway segment.

In cases where you have an Interstate route parallel to a US route (fairly common), the US route remains because the Interstate was built on a new alignment.

QuoteEDIT: U.S. 45 in Michigan was moved onto a new alignment, then returned to its original alignment

Inmaterial, since the US 45 corridor in Michigan does not have an adjacent Interstate.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 22, 2012, 09:41:09 AM

What exactly would AASHTO have against restoring a U.S. route to its former alignment? Just move the old highways back to where they were, originally, and make the Interstate alignment a Bypass route, like I-49 through Alexandria is also US 71 Bypass.

EDIT: U.S. 45 in Michigan was moved onto a new alignment, then returned to its original alignment

For starters, running US 71 Bypass along I-49 didn't change the original routing of US 71 (MacArthur Drive).

Second, in addition to the reasons Froggie noted, there would be a logistical issue if US 90 or US 167 was moved out of the Evangeline Thruway, especially if the I-49 Connector through Lafayette is built before the rest of I-49 South is completed to New Orleans. What do you designate the freeway in the internim??

(Of course, you could call it Toll 49 if it's built as a tollway.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 22, 2012, 03:59:32 PM

For starters, running US 71 Bypass along I-49 didn't change the original routing of US 71 (MacArthur Drive).

Second, in addition to the reasons Froggie noted, there would be a logistical issue if US 90 or US 167 was moved out of the Evangeline Thruway, especially if the I-49 Connector through Lafayette is built before the rest of I-49 South is completed to New Orleans. What do you designate the freeway in the internim??

Curious, though, to see if we can get Historic US 90 shields put up along La. 182 south of Lafayette. The DOTD did it on La. 125 between Grant Parish and Caldwell Parish along the original routing. Might be nice to see it done along La 182 north of Lafayette for the original 167.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 22, 2012, 06:48:41 PM

Curious, though, to see if we can get Historic US 90 shields put up along La. 182 south of Lafayette. The DOTD did it on La. 125 between Grant Parish and Caldwell Parish along the original routing. Might be nice to see it done along La 182 north of Lafayette for the original 167.
Quote from: mcdonaat on April 22, 2012, 06:48:41 PM

It would probably be more likely to see "Old Spanish Trail" markers placed on LA 182 south of Lafayette/Broussard through New Iberia, Jeanerette, and Baldwin/Franklin, and along the old US 90/current LA 182 routing from Morgan City to Raceland. I just can't see LaDOTD returning US 90 to its old routing, especially until all of I-49 South is completed.

Anthony

mcdonaat

I'd like to see the state use more of the Historic Route shields... Adds to the old stories of grandpa saying that some highway is the 'old road.' I'm personally trying to get the La. DOTD to sign a section of old US 80 as a historic route through Monroe... If labor is a factor, I'll do the work for free.

By the way, anyone interested in old maps of the highway system before the 1955 renumbering? I have a high detail map of every parish in the state from 1954, with the old route numbers. Super interesting if you wanna follow old roads.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 23, 2012, 05:36:33 AM
I'd like to see the state use more of the Historic Route shields... Adds to the old stories of grandpa saying that some highway is the 'old road.' I'm personally trying to get the La. DOTD to sign a section of old US 80 as a historic route through Monroe... If labor is a factor, I'll do the work for free.

By the way, anyone interested in old maps of the highway system before the 1955 renumbering? I have a high detail map of every parish in the state from 1954, with the old route numbers. Super interesting if you wanna follow old roads.

Take a roadtrip to the state library in Baton Rouge (not the state museum, not the state archives), they have roadmaps for the state showing the original numbering system for the state, and the changes after the US numbers came into effect.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

mcdonaat

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 23, 2012, 08:52:50 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on April 23, 2012, 05:36:33 AM

Take a roadtrip to the state library in Baton Rouge (not the state museum, not the state archives), they have roadmaps for the state showing the original numbering system for the state, and the changes after the US numbers came into effect.

Thanks for that, been wanting to quickly look at maps without emailing the DOTD for each one. I do need to take a road trip to BR, and travel down the Jeff. Hey

mcdonaat

Just got word in that the Interstate 20 bridge over the Ouachita in Monroe/WM is going to be rehabilitated, and that a historic tee-beam bridge from 1935 on US 80 is going to be replaced for a newer bridge. I'm more upset about the 1935 replacement, since it was constructed as the same project with the Louisville bridge. Sad to see the state remove these historic bridges, but I wonder if it's cheaper to replace the deck? The structure itself is in nice condition, and it's a semi-smooth surface. The US 90 bridges outside of Morgan City are going to be replaced too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.