News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: brownpelican on December 17, 2012, 02:28:31 PM
The Poydras exit was also replaced.

I also spotted two new state-named I-310 signs on Airline Hwy. eastbound (south) right before the 310 interchange last Thursday.

Saw those as well back in April. Jeff R. went by there two weeks before I did and they were not yet in place.

The I-10/610 assembly in Nola is the only other state-named shield set in SELA that I know of right now.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Alex on December 17, 2012, 10:30:04 PM
Quote from: brownpelican on December 17, 2012, 02:28:31 PM
The Poydras exit was also replaced.

I also spotted two new state-named I-310 signs on Airline Hwy. eastbound (south) right before the 310 interchange last Thursday.

Saw those as well back in April. Jeff R. went by there two weeks before I did and they were not yet in place.

The I-10/610 assembly in Nola is the only other state-named shield set in SELA that I know of right now.
The contractor is the one who ultimately decides if the state name should be in the shield. It's also why we have too many different variants of the state shield - cartoonish outlines, border or no border, 30x24 or 24x24, Series B, C, or D... too many to count off the top of my head.

Contact the contractors who are awarded signing projects and request that state-named shields be used. Let them know that other states (Missouri, Texas, etc...) use state names in the shields, and that multistate Interstates are good candidates. If enough of us contact them, and let them know that the cost is minimal, if nothing at all, to actually slap Louisiana inside of the shield, then we might start seeing them appear. Would anyone from a state DOT like to chime in and let us know if the price is different?

agentsteel53

doesn't this still survive?

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 18, 2012, 03:16:30 PM

doesn't this still survive?

I didn't see anything at that location 2 years ago...

mcdonaat

If I ever head back to NOLA, I'll look. I always have a reason to visit the Northshore or northeast Louisiana, but never Metro NOLA.

froggie

Google Earth imagery for the eastern part of Slidell has been updated to this past October, showing part of the completed I-12 widening project.  Dropping the eastbound 3rd lane at the exit ramp to I-10 West makes sense, but what's stupid is they begin the westbound 3rd lane as an inside lane just past the overpass over I-59.  What they SHOULD'VE done is have the on-ramp from I-59/EB I-10 be the start of the 3rd lane.  Forcing that fairly-high traffic flow to merge when it easily could've begun the 3rd lane is poor design.

mcdonaat

Quote from: froggie on December 18, 2012, 07:54:49 PM
Google Earth imagery for the eastern part of Slidell has been updated to this past October, showing part of the completed I-12 widening project.  Dropping the eastbound 3rd lane at the exit ramp to I-10 West makes sense, but what's stupid is they begin the westbound 3rd lane as an inside lane just past the overpass over I-59.  What they SHOULD'VE done is have the on-ramp from I-59/EB I-10 be the start of the 3rd lane.  Forcing that fairly-high traffic flow to merge when it easily could've begun the 3rd lane is poor design.
My idea is that LaDOTD is building for if Mississippi ever adds a 3rd lane from Stennis west. I-12 does carry a bulk of the east-west traffic from Baton Rouge to Slidell, so it makes sense to allow I-10 East to I-12 West traffic to merge in, instead of having that lane exit only up ahead.

EDIT: Off topic slightly, but has anyone seen parish-posted shields anywhere? Not including Terrebonne, Union, or Webster, I can't seem to find any parishes that have more than three posted. Washington Parish seems pretty intent on leaving their shields up.

brownpelican

The Washington Parish 45 sign still exists in Enon...and it's old as dirt. I'll be posting it soon.

Alex

Quote from: mcdonaat on December 18, 2012, 11:42:34 PM

EDIT: Off topic slightly, but has anyone seen parish-posted shields anywhere? Not including Terrebonne, Union, or Webster, I can't seem to find any parishes that have more than three posted. Washington Parish seems pretty intent on leaving their shields up.

Years and years ago there were parish shields posted adjacent to unpaved roads emanating from the US 90 frontage road system in St. Mary Parish. We also found one in West Feliciana Parish near the state line in 2009.

Quote from: mcdonaat on December 18, 2012, 03:13:50 PM
The contractor is the one who ultimately decides if the state name should be in the shield. It's also why we have too many different variants of the state shield - cartoonish outlines, border or no border, 30x24 or 24x24, Series B, C, or D... too many to count off the top of my head.

Contact the contractors who are awarded signing projects and request that state-named shields be used. Let them know that other states (Missouri, Texas, etc...) use state names in the shields, and that multistate Interstates are good candidates. If enough of us contact them, and let them know that the cost is minimal, if nothing at all, to actually slap Louisiana inside of the shield, then we might start seeing them appear. Would anyone from a state DOT like to chime in and let us know if the price is different?

To add to this, the state name was readded to the Interstate shield design for Louisiana in late 2010. From an email with Jeff R.

QuoteJust met the new interstate guy in Louisiana. He said the change to state name has occurred.  Just will take awhile to deplete stock. He also said he is working on the I-49 signs north of Shreveport and South of Lafayette.

Urban Prairie Schooner

A few back roads in north EBR Parish have some old parish road signs up. Port Hudson-Pride Road comes to mind. Also, I'm sure I've seen at least one sign on the Satsuma-Colyell road in Livingston Parish.

Also, seems like pretty much every local road in Cameron Parish has a PR sign (at least back in 2007 when I was there). Federal relief funds are a fount of generosity.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Another route exchange to preserve a Mississippi River ferry crossing for the short term, this time in White Castle. The sacrificial lamb is LA 3066 between LA 75 and LA 3066 Spur:

http://www.dotd.la.gov/pressreleases/release.aspx?key=2166

mcdonaat

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on December 20, 2012, 07:13:03 PM

A few back roads in north EBR Parish have some old parish road signs up. Port Hudson-Pride Road comes to mind. Also, I'm sure I've seen at least one sign on the Satsuma-Colyell road in Livingston Parish.

Also, seems like pretty much every local road in Cameron Parish has a PR sign (at least back in 2007 when I was there). Federal relief funds are a fount of generosity.
Which end of Port Hudson Pride Road? Streetview shows nothing...

Also checked St. Mary dirt roads, but GSV shows a very, VERY limited frontage road system.

Those Cameron Parish shields... are they actually current spec, or the old Louisiana spec that seems to be prevalent in the state? Terrebonne's look hideous.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: mcdonaat on December 21, 2012, 11:04:27 PM
Those Cameron Parish shields... are they actually current spec, or the old Louisiana spec that seems to be prevalent in the state? Terrebonne's look hideous.

Looked current to me. They were placed post-Rita from what I could tell.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on December 21, 2012, 11:40:36 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on December 21, 2012, 11:04:27 PM

Looked current to me. They were placed post-Rita from what I could tell.
Street View has saved me again! I like the PR shields, since it's easier to tell someone to take Par Rd 18 instead of H. Newton Road, especially when you have 14 different Newtons with roads named after them (pretty common in my true home parish of Winn).

brownpelican

Major roadwork on the I-10/Causeway/Veterans interchange revamp project will be completed today when new ramps open allowing those from Veterans Blvd. and ground level Causeway Blvd. south to access I-10 east and west.

The entire project is expected to wrap up at the end of the month.

lamsalfl

I generally love Google Maps, but why are they demoting my I-310 and I-510 to just arterials?  They have the shields up still, but no longer are they orange roads.  Still waiting for them to show I-49 in MO, I-781 in NY, and remove the I-70 shields in Oklahoma.

codyg1985

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 12, 2013, 02:26:52 PM
I generally love Google Maps, but why are they demoting my I-310 and I-510 to just arterials?  They have the shields up still, but no longer are they orange roads.  Still waiting for them to show I-49 in MO, I-781 in NY, and remove the I-70 shields in Oklahoma.

If you zoom in close enough the shields aren't even there for I-310.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

txstateends

I generally love Google Maps, but

Still waiting for them to show I-49 in MO,

I kicked their tires a bit... a few show up along the KC-to-Joplin section (mostly closer to KC), one is on the I-44 overlap, and they took out the ones that were north of I-435/I-470/US 50.  Not sure why they can't understand the words "Pineville to Kansas City", pretty straightforward I'd think--but they're probably not the roadfans there in the land of Sergey and Larry that we are, I guess.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

pctech

I don't know what's happening else where in Louisiana, but all the rain of the last couple weeks is causing the asphalt roads in Baton Rouge to disintegrate with a vengeance! I went thru the I-310/ Airline interchange the friday after New Years day, I didn't notice the interstate shields with the state name in them.

Mark

cjk374

Quote from: pctech on January 14, 2013, 01:30:40 PM
I don't know what's happening else where in Louisiana, but all the rain of the last couple weeks is causing the asphalt roads in Baton Rouge to disintegrate with a vengeance! I went thru the I-310/ Airline interchange the friday after New Years day, I didn't notice the interstate shields with the state name in them.

Mark
The asphalt is doing the same up here in the northern part of the state as well...and the temps are right at or just below freezing right now.  :-o That won't help the asphalt either because the expansion and contraction of the freezing & the thawing water will tear it up even more.  Everytime we get an extended period of rain (which has been rare in the last couple of years) the roads tear up.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

pctech

Quote from: cjk374 on January 14, 2013, 05:13:08 PM
Quote from: pctech on January 14, 2013, 01:30:40 PM

Mark
The asphalt is doing the same up here in the northern part of the state as well...and the temps are right at or just below freezing right now.  :-o That won't help the asphalt either because the expansion and contraction of the freezing & the thawing water will tear it up even more.  Everytime we get an extended period of rain (which has been rare in the last couple of years) the roads tear up.

Maybe we should stop using water soluble asphalt for paving in Louisiana!....just a thought :D

pctech

I went through I-10 from the 10/12 split to the Bluebonnet exit (162) yesterday. It appears that DODT is adopting the CALTRANS double right lane exits on new construction in high traffic areas. It does not appear that they they are using the CALTRANS  marking method on the approach BGS, that is far right lane is labeled "exit only" and the next lane in having a white down facing arrow. They  will have only a far right exit only label and they are using redundant BGS...(exit only 1/4 mile, then exit only, then the actual exit sign)

Mark

formulanone

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 13, 2013, 11:26:27 AM

If you zoom in close enough the shields aren't even there for I-310.

Just noticed this yesterday, as I'm in the New Orleans/Kenner area. Wondered where 310 and 510 disappeared to!

Edit: Just found my answer; also found a non-neutered I-10 shield by the airport.

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on December 20, 2012, 07:13:03 PM

Found this on I-12 in December...probably nothing new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on January 23, 2013, 03:16:21 PMalso found a non-neutered I-10 shield by the airport.

got a photo?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 23, 2013, 04:21:26 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 23, 2013, 03:16:21 PMalso found a non-neutered I-10 shield by the airport.

got a photo?

It's not with me now...Saw it after I'd taken a picture of it; will get a better shot of it on Friday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.