News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Consolidating I-95s Interchanges from Kenly, NC to Eastover, NC

Started by roadman65, October 18, 2012, 10:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

For those of you who travel on this stretch of  I-95 know that there are frequent exits on this stretch or road, probably because its the first section of I-95 opened to traffic several decades ago.  Does anyone agree that maybe NCDOT needs to maybe consolidate some of the interchanges.  Not so much elimate them, but make two interchanges close to each other into one larger interchange.

For example in Dunn, NC where US 421 and Pope Road are less than a half a mile apart to build service roads between both US 421 and Pope Road on each side of I-95. Thus making both current interchanges half diamonds and having NB traffic use the Pope Road exit and continue across Pope Road onto the service road and then to US 421.  Pope Road to NB I-95 would use this frontage road into the NB ramp from US 421.  Then SB I-95 to Pope Road would exit at US 421, ride the service road as US 421 traffic to I-95 SB via Pope Road's ramp would as well.

Then another consolidation would be at Selma, where the many US 70s could be made into one large interchange and a direct connection could be made to US 70 Bypass instead of the current Breezewood situation that is there.  Having one long frontage road on both sides from mainline US 70 to Business US 70 could have a full cloverleaf to US 70 Bypass.

I think that this could make the road safer and allow for 70 mph to be installed here instead of the current 65 mph that is implemented from Kenly to Eastover.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on October 18, 2012, 10:29:11 PM
For those of you who travel on this stretch of  I-95 know that there are frequent exits on this stretch or road, probably because its the first section of I-95 opened to traffic several decades ago.  Does anyone agree that maybe NCDOT needs to maybe consolidate some of the interchanges.  Not so much elimate them, but make two interchanges close to each other into one larger interchange.

For example in Dunn, NC where US 421 and Pope Road are less than a half a mile apart to build service roads between both US 421 and Pope Road on each side of I-95. Thus making both current interchanges half diamonds and having NB traffic use the Pope Road exit and continue across Pope Road onto the service road and then to US 421.  Pope Road to NB I-95 would use this frontage road into the NB ramp from US 421.  Then SB I-95 to Pope Road would exit at US 421, ride the service road as US 421 traffic to I-95 SB via Pope Road's ramp would as well.

Then another consolidation would be at Selma, where the many US 70s could be made into one large interchange and a direct connection could be made to US 70 Bypass instead of the current Breezewood situation that is there.  Having one long frontage road on both sides from mainline US 70 to Business US 70 could have a full cloverleaf to US 70 Bypass.

I think that this could make the road safer and allow for 70 mph to be installed here instead of the current 65 mph that is implemented from Kenly to Eastover.

Isn't NCDOT looking at removing at least some access as part of its study of tolling I-95?

Regardless of whether some access is removed, several of those interchanges are very substandard, especially when it comes to (not) having an acceleration lane.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

They might be, my suggestion would to bring these up to standards.  Also, in the case of Dunn, it would keep the locals off the freeway and on the frontage roads.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.