News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interchanges between Conventional Roads

Started by vtk, October 09, 2011, 04:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planxtymcgillicuddy

This at the intersection of US-64 and NC-16 in Taylorsville, NC
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

webny99

Depending on how loosely "interchange" is being defined, there's this at US 20/NY 98, and this at NY 15A/BHTL Rd. Those would both count if grade separation is enough to constitute an interchange.

ChiMilNet

Although one of them does have an uninterrupted connection to a the tollways and expressways East of here, these are all basically conventional roads. This is probably one of the most unique designs for a cloverleaf with a diagonal route running through it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8604147,-87.9588178,1291m/data=!3m1!1e3

kphoger

Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 18, 2020, 05:12:43 PM
Although one of them does have an uninterrupted connection to a the tollways and expressways East of here, these are all basically conventional roads. This is probably one of the most unique designs for a cloverleaf with a diagonal route running through it.

Perhaps.  I've always had a hard time thinking of Route 83 as a "conventional road", though.  To me, it's right on the line between conventional road and expressway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

This is probably one of the most unique designs for a cloverleaf with a diagonal route running through it.

Unique, but does exist elsewhere.

Here's a cluster of cloverleafs bisected by I-85 Business near Greensboro, NC.

Another similar situation near Newport News, VA.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 18, 2020, 06:16:40 PM
This is probably one of the most unique designs for a cloverleaf with a diagonal route running through it.

Unique, but does exist elsewhere.

Here's a cluster of cloverleafs bisected by I-85 Business near Greensboro, NC.

Another similar situation near Newport News, VA.
In NJ..
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9429213,-74.9790143,1570m/data=!3m1!1e3

ChiMilNet

Quote from: kphoger on June 18, 2020, 05:36:55 PM

Perhaps.  I've always had a hard time thinking of Route 83 as a "conventional road", though.  To me, it's right on the line between conventional road and expressway.

Yeah, and I guess the only reason I count 83 as conventional road is the presence of so many stoplights and the fact that there are businesses along it in plenty of spots in the area of this interchange. Further South is definitely more expressway and even borderline freeway in a few patches between 88 and 55. The one I actually think is more borderline right here is Roosevelt Road between here and 294.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 18, 2020, 07:41:27 PM
In NJ..

Oh, look: overhead signs!  Other states, listen up: this is how you handle complex junctions with arterial highways.  Use some good friggin' signs and put them overhead when you have closely spaced exits!  You don't have to reserve overhead signs for freeways; you can use them on non-freeways, too!

This is one of many reasons why I love New Jersey's roads.  :)
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

sprjus4

Quote from: stridentweasel on June 19, 2020, 04:53:15 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 18, 2020, 07:41:27 PM
In NJ..

Oh, look: overhead signs!  Other states, listen up: this is how you handle complex junctions with arterial highways.  Use some good friggin' signs and put them overhead when you have closely spaced exits!  You don't have to reserve overhead signs for freeways; you can use them on non-freeways, too!

This is one of many reasons why I love New Jersey's roads.  :)
The two examples I listed above have adequate overhead signage.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 19, 2020, 08:36:10 PM
The two examples I listed above have adequate overhead signage.

I'm not saying other states never do a good job, Virginia included, but this is a pretty crappy way to sign a major turn-off from a friggin' expressway:

https://goo.gl/maps/MVnFR3VJrn4x4pHf9
https://goo.gl/maps/omFJX6MAbNTDkjYC7

And here are a couple of things in my home state I don't like:

Not the best way to sign a cloverleaf on an expressway: https://goo.gl/maps/SFRhyi1mmLBEXUny5

This is not how I would sign a major decision point on an arterial highway, but at least they got the "RIGHT LANE EXIT ONLY" message in there: https://goo.gl/maps/5GYDBRwmKDqZRL7eA

Long story short, all of the above examples would be best served by overheads.

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

EpicRoadways

The MN-23/9th Ave interchange in downtown St. Cloud, MN comes to mind. Not sure I'd quite call it an "interchange" but it's grade-separated and it has some (very tight 10 MPH) ramps. The fact that there are sidewalks throughout the interchange and even houses on the easternmost ramp probably disqualifies it, though. 

Ned Weasel

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 20, 2020, 11:11:01 PM
Some examples from the KC area:

Shawnee Mission Parkway and Metcalf in Mission: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0150415,-94.6638451,3a,75y,269.22h,98.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sznmX0c9HjAxmyW0FTrxIDw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

US 56/169/Shawnee Mission Parkway from just east of US 69/Metcalf Avenue to just east of Roe Avenue is an expressway, although if you consider expressways to be a spectrum rather than singularly discrete category, it's pretty close to the line between expressway and conventional road.  Also, as I've mentioned, that's a terrible way to sign a cloverleaf.  KDOT should really use the expressway standards for cloverleaf guide signs with overhead signs in all directions at that location.

Johnson Drive and Metcalf, just to the north: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0232809,-94.6677511,3a,75y,31.59h,90.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM-U31EunL7IxVyqziCzhxg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

US 69/Metcalf Avenue is an expressway between US 56/169 and I-35/635.  Also, that interchange is horrible.  There's probably no good way to improve the east side of it, but the west side of it is unnecessarily dangerous, and it's been that way since the 50s.  (A couple of ideas to fix it: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3618.msg2509154#msg2509154 and https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3618.msg2509880#msg2509880 .)

Bannister Road and Blue River Road in south KC: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9542193,-94.5612125,3a,75y,113.64h,78.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8taJeaOfpMPGYMK5cFRy8A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

MO Secondary W/Bannister Road is an expressway for a brief stretch there.

ilpt4u

I skimmed thru the whole thread, looking to see if another Chicagoland example was mentioned. I didn't see it, but if it was already mentioned, I missed it

IL 56/Butterfield Rd and Highland Ave in Downers Grove is a pretty standard SPUI Interchange, with Butterfield getting the "freeway" -style ramp ends treatment and Highland getting the Traffic Signal Controlled ramp ends

Further east and west IL 56 is much more freeway-like, but in this immediate area it is very much a signalized arterial

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on June 13, 2020, 01:24:56 PM
Depending on how loosely "interchange" is being defined, there's this at US 20/NY 98, and this at NY 15A/BHTL Rd. Those would both count if grade separation is enough to constitute an interchange.

Adding to this, there's also this cloverleaf between the otherwise 2-lane NY 14 and NY 96.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 08, 2015, 01:14:05 PM

Quote from: NE2 on October 08, 2015, 11:27:50 AM

Quote from: kphoger on October 05, 2015, 02:07:29 PMI found one that surprised me the other day. It's a junction if what are basically two farm roads in a plains state.

SW Ohio Street Road & SW 20th Street in rural Kansas, just west of El Dorado.

Might be because of terrain, so the north-south road doesn't have to dip down too much.

I discovered this one a few weeks ago as part of my ongoing exploration of paved county roads in Sedgwick and the surrounding counties.  At the time I suspected the grade separation was built when this length of SW 20th Street was still part of K-254.  However, while HistoricAerials.com is not being cooperative at present, I can find no evidence this intersection was ever on K-254.  The 1959 aerial photo (oldest available) shows it as a flat intersection while, just to the west, the road that Google Maps now shows as "Old K-254" swings north to converge on the current expressway alignment of K-254.

In the old days, when it was still a two-lane state highway, K-254 was on top of the east-west section line road known as 61st Street North in Sedgwick County and SW 20th Street in Butler County, and ran straight through Benton and Towanda.  This is largely still true of the expressway relocation, which was built in the mid-1990's, except that both Benton and Towanda are now bypassed with "Old K-254" former alignments.  However, the 1959 aerial shows that K-254 swung north in Towanda (well west of Ohio Street Road) to enter El Dorado along Central Avenue, and I suspect this was its original alignment since the K-254 designation was created in the mid-1950's.  (Side observation:  east-west county road numbering in Butler County is based on north/south distance to Parallel Street, which overlaps the Fifth Standard Parallel South and continues in Sedgwick County as 77th Street North.  The bulk of K-254 runs parallel to it but two miles south, while Central Avenue in El Dorado is also parallel to it but runs half a mile south.)

As for the grade separation at SW 20th Street and Ohio Street Road, this can have been built only by Butler County, though why it was done is a bit of a mystery.  There are a few clues, though.  The 1959 aerial shows Ohio Street Road making a spread-out wye on the south side of SW 20th Street, while the 1979 topographic map shows pavement on Ohio Street Road ending at the wye--north of it, it was just gravel.  The 2002 aerial shows the grade separation in its current configuration and Ohio Street Road paved all the way north to its current intersection with relocated K-254.

I suspect that the northern mile and a half of Ohio Street Road was paved as a complement to the K-254 relocation and widening.  It is uncharacteristically extravagant for Butler County to put in a grade separation instead of a four-way stop, and this may have been done to avoid creating new stop conditions for straight-through traffic on SW 20th Street.  (There would have been pre-existing stop signs on either arm of the wye for northbound traffic going from Ohio Street Road to SW 20th Street in either direction, but these would have affected turning traffic only.)

Ohio Street Road gets its internally redundant name from the fact that it is the county road extension of Ohio Street in Augusta.  It is currently a convenient paved shortcut between US 54 and K-254, though using it entails some knowledge of Augusta streets since it passes under the US 54 railroad viaduct instead of intersecting it on the level.  In time it will become much less convenient because Augusta has no meaningful planning control and is sprawling north along Ohio Street.

While detouring due to a bridge that was out for reconstruction on Saturday, I ended up using the craziest path through this interchange while my wife and I were out running deliveries.  This path totally defies common sense and, at each turn along the way, I was never quite sure if my next turn was even a possibility.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2020, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: J N Winkler on October 08, 2015, 01:14:05 PM

Quote from: NE2 on October 08, 2015, 11:27:50 AM

Quote from: kphoger on October 05, 2015, 02:07:29 PMI found one that surprised me the other day. It's a junction if what are basically two farm roads in a plains state.

SW Ohio Street Road & SW 20th Street in rural Kansas, just west of El Dorado.

Might be because of terrain, so the north-south road doesn't have to dip down too much.

I discovered this one a few weeks ago as part of my ongoing exploration of paved county roads in Sedgwick and the surrounding counties.  At the time I suspected the grade separation was built when this length of SW 20th Street was still part of K-254.  However, while HistoricAerials.com is not being cooperative at present, I can find no evidence this intersection was ever on K-254.  The 1959 aerial photo (oldest available) shows it as a flat intersection while, just to the west, the road that Google Maps now shows as "Old K-254" swings north to converge on the current expressway alignment of K-254.

In the old days, when it was still a two-lane state highway, K-254 was on top of the east-west section line road known as 61st Street North in Sedgwick County and SW 20th Street in Butler County, and ran straight through Benton and Towanda.  This is largely still true of the expressway relocation, which was built in the mid-1990's, except that both Benton and Towanda are now bypassed with "Old K-254" former alignments.  However, the 1959 aerial shows that K-254 swung north in Towanda (well west of Ohio Street Road) to enter El Dorado along Central Avenue, and I suspect this was its original alignment since the K-254 designation was created in the mid-1950's.  (Side observation:  east-west county road numbering in Butler County is based on north/south distance to Parallel Street, which overlaps the Fifth Standard Parallel South and continues in Sedgwick County as 77th Street North.  The bulk of K-254 runs parallel to it but two miles south, while Central Avenue in El Dorado is also parallel to it but runs half a mile south.)

As for the grade separation at SW 20th Street and Ohio Street Road, this can have been built only by Butler County, though why it was done is a bit of a mystery.  There are a few clues, though.  The 1959 aerial shows Ohio Street Road making a spread-out wye on the south side of SW 20th Street, while the 1979 topographic map shows pavement on Ohio Street Road ending at the wye--north of it, it was just gravel.  The 2002 aerial shows the grade separation in its current configuration and Ohio Street Road paved all the way north to its current intersection with relocated K-254.

I suspect that the northern mile and a half of Ohio Street Road was paved as a complement to the K-254 relocation and widening.  It is uncharacteristically extravagant for Butler County to put in a grade separation instead of a four-way stop, and this may have been done to avoid creating new stop conditions for straight-through traffic on SW 20th Street.  (There would have been pre-existing stop signs on either arm of the wye for northbound traffic going from Ohio Street Road to SW 20th Street in either direction, but these would have affected turning traffic only.)

Ohio Street Road gets its internally redundant name from the fact that it is the county road extension of Ohio Street in Augusta.  It is currently a convenient paved shortcut between US 54 and K-254, though using it entails some knowledge of Augusta streets since it passes under the US 54 railroad viaduct instead of intersecting it on the level.  In time it will become much less convenient because Augusta has no meaningful planning control and is sprawling north along Ohio Street.

While detouring due to a bridge that was out for reconstruction on Saturday, I ended up using the craziest path through this interchange while my wife and I were out running deliveries.  This path totally defies common sense and, at each turn along the way, I was never quite sure if my next turn was even a possibility.

Yikes, I'd just go for a quadrant roadway and call it a day.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2020, 11:41:19 AM

Oh yeah, there is a permanent Michigan Left in Kansas!  I had forgotten about that one!  I assume they decided a conventional left turn would have been unsafe there, so they went to the expense of dividing the road and building that median U-turn.

ari-s-drives

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, here's one in the middle of nowhere:

Quay Rd. U and Old US 66 in San Jon, NM

kphoger

Quote from: ari-s-drives on November 06, 2020, 04:22:18 PM

Especially cool because QR U is unpaved on both sides of the interchange.

(There's another interchange like it 12 miles to the west, and another one 11 miles to the east.)
Male pronouns, please.

MCRoads

Colorado Springs has at least 3: Platte Blvd/Academy Blvd, Platte Blvd and Peterson Rd, and Austin Bluffs Pkway and Union.

Powers Blvd is right on the edge of an expressway. The northern portion is completely limited access, but the southern portion is basically a normal road. Platte Blvd and Woodman Rd stand out as oddities, as they are interchanges isolated from the limited access portion of the road. However, this will change, as Research Pkway is getting a new DDI, making the interchange at woodman the new southernmost interchange.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: MCRoads on November 08, 2020, 02:36:46 PM
Colorado Springs has at least 3: Platte Blvd/Academy Blvd, Platte Blvd and Peterson Rd, and Austin Bluffs Pkway and Union.

Powers Blvd is right on the edge of an expressway. The northern portion is completely limited access, but the southern portion is basically a normal road. Platte Blvd and Woodman Rd stand out as oddities, as they are interchanges isolated from the limited access portion of the road. However, this will change, as Research Pkway is getting a new DDI, making the interchange at woodman the new southernmost interchange.

i've only been through cos a few times, and it stuck me as odd that they seem to have a lot of ... for want of a better term.. 'pretend freeways' -- city streets that are sort of freeway-like.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

D-Dey65

Quote from: ari-s-drives on November 06, 2020, 04:22:18 PM

Don't apologize, man. I can show you Old US 17 (Nuna Rock Road) and Gregorie Neck Road north of Coosawhatchie, South Carolina.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/32%C2%B026'00.0%22N+81%C2%B001'00.0%22W/@32.5954128,-80.9148611,761m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d32.433333!4d-81.016667?hl=en

Besides that, there's also Old County Road and Dix Hills Road in South Huntington, New York.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8258802,-73.3668177,683m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

These are just like your Old US 66 and Quay Road interchange, because they also have bridges that go over parallel limited-access highways.

Hey, there are some with US 301 in Virginia near Stony Creek too.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B056'47.0%22N+77%C2%B023'59.0%22W/@36.9042138,-77.4017071,722m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d36.946389!4d-77.399722?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9514251,-77.3929912,722m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

TheStranger

Some Philippine examples:

- Aurora Boulevard and E. Rodriguez, Cubao, Quezon City
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Aurora+Blvd+%26+E+Rodriguez+Sr.+Ave,+Quezon+City,+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/@14.6213689,121.0489489,287m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397b7b8a09dfb93:0x64bf2f278e2be8af!8m2!3d14.6213689!4d121.0494961

- Mel Lopez Boulevard at 2nd Street, Manila (Port Area)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/2nd+St,+Port+Area,+Manila,+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/@14.5939988,120.9629903,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397ca6accec0817:0x5a823d6724decde!8m2!3d14.5939988!4d120.965179

- Taft Avenue at Quentin Paredes Road, Manila (near Mehan Garden)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Taft+Ave+%26+Cecilia+Mu%C3%B1oz+St,+Ermita,+Manila,+1000+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/@14.5916786,120.9781798,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397ca18c01f202b:0x74f3b6a45a031fa4!8m2!3d14.5914455!4d120.9805246

- Quezon Boulevard at Lerma Street, Manila (Sampaloc)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lerma+St+%26+Quezon+Blvd,+Sampaloc,+Manila,+1008+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/@14.6047596,120.9848571,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397ca022f082525:0x6b421fc8deb1ba9a!8m2!3d14.6045517!4d120.9853865

- Quezon Avenue at G. Araneta, Quezon City.  With the opening of Skyway Stage 3, this complex essentially serves as a de-facto volleyball interchange with the new expressway, though it remains a diamond off one conventional street to another.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sanctuarium/@14.6267744,121.0119029,17z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x3397b63ca733ba8d:0x3f31bf4d97b6bb5c!2sGregorio+Araneta+Ave,+Quezon+City,+Metro+Manila,+Philippines!3b1!8m2!3d14.62393!4d121.015379!3m4!1s0x3397b64088560ba5:0x88ab514a1f1f8f4f!8m2!3d14.6274577!4d121.013611

- Quezon Avenue at BIR Road/Agham Road, Diliman, Quezon City
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Agham+Road+%26+Quezon+Avenue+E+Svc+Road,+Diliman,+Quezon+City,+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/@14.6476187,121.0389796,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397b706e107709f:0x5984fdb4bea6d765!8m2!3d14.6461093!4d121.0409077

- C-5 Extension and Sucat Road, Paranaque
https://www.google.com/maps/search/SM+City+Sucat/@14.4844755,120.9929402,19z

- SLEX East Service Road at FTI complex, Taguig
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Celebrations+Trading+International/@14.5057407,121.0369952,287m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397cf26d901821b:0xa8f4a288d4b321a5!8m2!3d14.5050942!4d121.0365667

- Mel Lopez Boulevard at Recto Avenue, Manila (Tondo)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Petron+Gas+Station/@14.6013962,120.9629149,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397ca6ccd6e54e9:0x3bd21aad0bd44525!8m2!3d14.5994555!4d120.9645514
Chris Sampang

zachary_amaryllis

Colorado Springs area tho I can't come up with anything specific
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.