News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

I peaked at the SR 37 plans and it will still be 37 once the project is over, i was afraid they would decommission it.  The portion I'm referring to is the one in Fishers that starts today. 

SSR_317

Quote from: ibthebigd on September 02, 2019, 06:12:53 PM
I still wish they would try commuter trains on Nickle Plate instead of the rail to trail.

SM-G950U
Amen! The NE side along the NKP corridor will get screwed over with no direct mass transit alternatives to downtown Indy whatsoever now.

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 02, 2019, 06:14:45 PM
It's fishers fault. They're desperate for their own monon trail.
Exactly. Fishers screws up nearly everything they touch. While the Monon Trail is indeed nice, can you imagine if that route had been available for the new IndyGo Red Line instead of having to use College Avenue?

silverback1065

After watching this red line launch, I'm sold. I think it's amazing that we finally have a good mass transit route. The green line (would have used that Nickle plate corridor) would have been perfect for commuters as a second means of transportation downtown.

tdindy88

I'm just going to say it here: the construction going on around Indianapolis is too much. After spending a good part of the day driving around I think INDOT is doing too much all at once. The 465 project on the southeast side, I-65 around Lafayette Road, 465 paving around the northwest side and the northeast side. And now they want to throw in work on I-70 from Indianapolis all the way to Ohio? The highway was shut down do to emergency repairs that had to be made on the shoulder of the highway since it was being used by traffic to get around construction that we just absolutely had to get done this year.

Jeez, I'm happy that we have the money is there to do all this needed work but can't some of this wait until next year? I-465 on the southeast side of Indianapolis IMO did not have to be done immediately this year. On such a beautiful weekend here in the city they are doing their damn best to keep you at home. They are doing too much all at once. And I bet the first full weekend we will have with no construction will be when we get a foot of snow and can only go 20 MPH on the highways. Alright, I've said my bit.

csw

Don't do the work, get complaints that the roads are horrible.

Do the work, get complaints that it's too much construction.

No one's ever going to like INDOT, so they're just going to do what they do.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 14, 2019, 09:13:50 PM
I'm just going to say it here: the construction going on around Indianapolis is too much. After spending a good part of the day driving around I think INDOT is doing too much all at once. The 465 project on the southeast side, I-65 around Lafayette Road, 465 paving around the northwest side and the northeast side. And now they want to throw in work on I-70 from Indianapolis all the way to Ohio? The highway was shut down do to emergency repairs that had to be made on the shoulder of the highway since it was being used by traffic to get around construction that we just absolutely had to get done this year.

Jeez, I'm happy that we have the money is there to do all this needed work but can't some of this wait until next year? I-465 on the southeast side of Indianapolis IMO did not have to be done immediately this year. On such a beautiful weekend here in the city they are doing their damn best to keep you at home. They are doing too much all at once. And I bet the first full weekend we will have with no construction will be when we get a foot of snow and can only go 20 MPH on the highways. Alright, I've said my bit.
Amen! I totaled my car in the construction zone Monday

Revive 755

Quote from: csw on September 15, 2019, 09:43:31 AM
Don't do the work, get complaints that the roads are horrible.

Do the work, get complaints that it's too much construction.

While there's truth to those statements, were I-465 on the northwest side and I-865 in that bad of shape their projects could not have been delayed one season until the work on I-65 northwest of downtown was completed?  Also, I still haven't heard why the ramp from WB I-74 to Southeastern Avenue needs to be closed at the same time I-465 is closed.

I recall Missouri doing a slightly better job trying to avoid working on parallel/semi-parallel routes at the same time (not that they've always succeeded).  I don't recall MoDOT working on I-44 and I-70 during the US 40 closures about 10 years ago.  Right now it also appears they are delaying bridge work on I-55 until work on I-44 is done.  INDOT would have had lane closures on I-44 and I-70 during the US 40 closure, and would have both I-44 and I-55 reduced with bridge work.

silverback1065

Indot royally fucked up i-70 in Greenfield, I don't understand how they let something like that happen.  You knew traffic was to be routed on the shoulders, you couldn't come up with a good enough pavement design to allow traffic to safely travel through? Ridiculous!

tdindy88

On top of everything else, US 40 in Hancock County has a current chip-seal repair going on and apparently US 40 through Greenfield has been "improved" (ie. fewer lanes.) I-74 around Shelbyville and past Greensburg also has more construction going on.

This is what happens when you pile more stuff on top of what you are already doing. That's what INDOT is, a kid piling more food on his plate when there is still plenty on. And I bet that all of these projects are spreading the construction crews out very thinly which is what's making them take so long. Two weeks to do repair work on I-465 in one direction. Maybe it's absolutely needed but I would venture a guess that if you focused more people on the project they could get it done in a week, they did to I-465 on the southwest side last year (closing one direction for a week or so.)

The paving work in the long run around the city will be nice, but they got so much going on. I-65 from I-465 to Southport, which desperately needed to be repaved, still has one lane that has not been repaved on the southbound lanes. They started this project back in May. They still need to put lane markers on the northbound lanes that has been done for more than a couple of months. I bet if they weren't already paving I-465 from I-65 on the northwest side to I-69 on the northeast side, plus I-69 for the first five miles to the north, they could have had this work already done.

Again, I don't think many are actually complaining about the work being done. It's good and it's appreciated, it's just way too much and because it's too much it's taking so much longer than it probably needs to be taking.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 15, 2019, 09:05:11 PM
On top of everything else, US 40 in Hancock County has a current chip-seal repair going on and apparently US 40 through Greenfield has been "improved" (ie. fewer lanes.) I-74 around Shelbyville and past Greensburg also has more construction going on.

This is what happens when you pile more stuff on top of what you are already doing. That's what INDOT is, a kid piling more food on his plate when there is still plenty on. And I bet that all of these projects are spreading the construction crews out very thinly which is what's making them take so long. Two weeks to do repair work on I-465 in one direction. Maybe it's absolutely needed but I would venture a guess that if you focused more people on the project they could get it done in a week, they did to I-465 on the southwest side last year (closing one direction for a week or so.)

The paving work in the long run around the city will be nice, but they got so much going on. I-65 from I-465 to Southport, which desperately needed to be repaved, still has one lane that has not been repaved on the southbound lanes. They started this project back in May. They still need to put lane markers on the northbound lanes that has been done for more than a couple of months. I bet if they weren't already paving I-465 from I-65 on the northwest side to I-69 on the northeast side, plus I-69 for the first five miles to the north, they could have had this work already done.

Again, I don't think many are actually complaining about the work being done. It's good and it's appreciated, it's just way too much and because it's too much it's taking so much longer than it probably needs to be taking.
Noones complaining about the work, we're complaining about the stupid scheduling. Why the hell would you close roads and route traffic on roads that are also under construction? The only reason why they had to close 465 on the south side is because that's the oldest section of 465 with the worst interchanges. I don't understand why they won't fix those exits from the left down there! In the next 7 yrs the entire Northside will be 8 lanes wide with auxiliary lanes between each exit.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 15, 2019, 09:05:11 PM

If you're mad now just wait until next fall. Shittier things are to come on the closure front...

tdindy88

What's next fall? There's the North Split project to go, I-69/I-465 on the northeast side and planned work on the southern part of I-465 plus the SR 37 closure in Martinsville.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 16, 2019, 12:52:30 AM
What's next fall? There's the North Split project to go, I-69/I-465 on the northeast side and planned work on the southern part of I-465 plus the SR 37 closure in Martinsville.

basically that and many other planned projects in the coming years.  north split will be the worst...

thefarmerchris

Looks like US 30 through Warsaw may end up being bypassed i.e. Kokomo. Anyone going to this meeting tonight?

https://www.newsnowwarsaw.com/us-30-freeway-project-public-meeting-wednesday/

silverback1065

Quote from: thefarmerchris on September 18, 2019, 06:13:48 PM

Looks like US 30 through Warsaw may end up being bypassed i.e. Kokomo. Anyone going to this meeting tonight?

Interesting, the route bypassing to the north makes the most sense at a glance.

sprjus4

Quote from: thefarmerchris on September 18, 2019, 06:13:48 PM

Didn't they just say a month ago no bypass was being considered and nothing like Kokomo would be done?

https://wsbt.com/news/local/indot-considers-replacing-us-30-through-warsaw-with-limited-access-highway

Quote"Currently U.S. 30 is U.S. 30 and INDOT has no plans to build a bypass,"  said Thomas.

Thomas says a bypass would cost a billion dollars and take a decade of work before construction could even begin.

EDIT - This is per https://wsbt.com/news/local/officials-hold-public-meeting-on-options-for-proposed-freeway-on-us-30

QuoteWarsaw and Kosciusko County leaders want to hear from you Wednesday.

Officials from the city and county along with representatives from the U.S. 30 Coalition are holding a public meeting to focus on options for a proposed freeway.

Right now there are no concrete plans from INDOT to change the road. But city and county leaders want to be ready if that changes.

Warsaw's mayor says as U.S. 30 makes its way through Warsaw, it passes nine intersections and a lot of stops. He said one particular intersection has had 220 accidents over the course of nine and a half years.

That is one of the reasons people here would like to see a long term fix U.S. 30.

That is one of the reasons for this meeting Wednesday. It will be a workshop of sorts.

City and county leaders will present some of the work that is already being done to make plans. The public will be able to offer input about what plan would work best, places to put intersections, overpasses and underpasses.

Basically leaders want to know how the options might impact the community.

There are three potential options for U.S. 30 that have been laid out right now. Again this is just hypothetical at this point, as INDOT has not formally designated this as a project and there is no funding for it right now. But these are the options that have been laid out.

U.S. 30 could go around, either to the north or south or it could continue to follow the current roadbed.

Wednesday, people can comment on these options.

Warsaw's mayor says that counties and cities all along U.S. 30 are having these types of discussions because they would like to see a freeway project similar to the U.S. 31 project from South Bend to Indianapolis, designed to limit access in an effort to improve safety and traffic flow.

The mayor says the U.S. 30 Coalition is trying to get INDOT to do an environmental impact study. That would be the first step.

silverback1065

if you live in the indy metro area this weekend stay home, basically every conceivable road will be under construction  :banghead:

Life in Paradise

For far too long Indiana has skipped the long range scenario and has done what may work for a few years and is cheaper, but will cost big time to correct down the road.  They have done so in Evansville, Kokomo, and other areas, and apparently did the same in Warsaw.  Spend $10 million now, and in 10 years you don't have to spend $100 million to buy up property, etc.

NWI_Irish96

Lake County roads in the news:

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/winfield/winfield-residents-seek-answers-for-th-avenue-traffic-woes/article_f1e9d88e-ca1d-5c7b-adc3-b2a3a325511b.html

QuoteThe last option is to give the road back to the state Department of Transportation. Winfield is the only community in the county with no state roads, Councilman Dave Anderson said. However, Anderson said the state is not taking on any new roads, and before the state would agree to take it, it would have to take some other road off its list.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 20, 2019, 07:57:31 AM

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/winfield/winfield-residents-seek-answers-for-th-avenue-traffic-woes/article_f1e9d88e-ca1d-5c7b-adc3-b2a3a325511b.html

QuoteThe last option is to give the road back to the state Department of Transportation. Winfield is the only community in the county with no state roads, Councilman Dave Anderson said. However, Anderson said the state is not taking on any new roads, and before the state would agree to take it, it would have to take some other road off its list.
No they wouldn't, they have plenty of mileage.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 20, 2019, 08:03:59 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 20, 2019, 07:57:31 AM

No they wouldn't, they have plenty of mileage.

It may not be a statutory mileage issue, it may be that this INDOT district just isn't willing to take on another road without giving one up.  Still, I'm struggling to remember the last time INDOT took on a road from a county.  It just doesn't seem to be something they do.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

They just don't feel like taking it over. Also that exit with 65 is going to be turned into a teardrop roundabout interchange complete with widening in the immediate area. Expect to see that in the coming yrs.

Revive 755

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 20, 2019, 08:08:42 AM
They just don't feel like taking it over. Also that exit with 65 is going to be turned into a teardrop roundabout interchange complete with widening in the immediate area. Expect to see that in the coming yrs.

Indiana has one of those constitutions that prohibits the legislator at the meeting from trying to pass a bill making INDOT take the road despite any objections INDOT may have?

tdindy88

Southbound and westbound I-465 on the southeast side opened up last night, completeing the planned construction along that stretch. I drove through there late at night and I guess the roadway feels fine, probably the same as it did before but I'll take their word that the road's in good shape for the winter.

I noticed that all the road signs were redone, even though in my opinion they really didn't have to. While the majority of signs are still looking good I saw the northbound I-465 signs for the I-70 interchange on the east side and they do not look good. It's hard to describe without pictures but they changed a series of perfectly good road signs and...screwed up the positioning of the control destinations for the I-70 exit. The signs are probably now Indiana's leading candidate for "Worst of Road Signs."

It's a shame too since they didn't need to be changed at all. Meanwhile I-65 from I-465 to the South Split still has button copy signage that has been there for many years and despite that roadway being closed at certain points this summer they were not changed at all. Of course if you like button copy that's probably a good thing.

Meanwhile there's still lots of outstanding paving and line markings to be put on various interstates around the city but we should be done with full closures at this point.

ibthebigd

Did they paint the road with what lane goes to what interstate?

They did that in Lexington Ky and I like it.

SM-G950U

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.