News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Minnesota Flag

Started by 7/8, December 20, 2023, 10:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 20, 2023, 02:30:13 PM
Nate Silver on Twitter said, "Don't hate it but the vibe is "small island nation that you inevitably forget about when trying to list all countries in the world"." I kinda agree.

Let's be honest though. What state flags are particularly well known to outsiders besides Texas's and California's? That's why I find the people hilarious who are complaining and claiming they'll continue to only recognize the old flag just to be spiteful and contrarian. They didn't care about the old flag or think about it one day in their lives.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 20, 2023, 03:28:57 PM
Nate Silver on Twitter said, "Don't hate it but the vibe is "small island nation that you inevitably forget about when trying to list all countries in the world"." I kinda agree.

Let's be honest though. What state flags are particularly well known to outsiders besides Texas's and California's? That's why I find the people hilarious who are complaining and claiming they'll continue to only recognize the old flag just to be spiteful and contrarian. They didn't care about the old flag or think about it one day in their lives.

Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Maryland stand out as some that outsiders know well.

kphoger

Let's be honest, though.  What do state flags mean to locals either?  (Alaska, Texas, New Mexico excepted)  The reason so many state flags are just boring seals on squares is that state flags are unimportant.  Or am I missing something, and does Mississippi's new flag create a sense of state civic pride and unity among its residents that residents of New York do not have because of their seal-on-square flag?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jlam

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 20, 2023, 03:31:07 PM
Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Maryland stand out as some that outsiders know well.
Can't forget all the states with their name on their flag.

kphoger

Quote from: jlam on December 20, 2023, 04:05:02 PM

And can you list which states those are, off the top of your head?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

California is the only one I think of offhand.

jlam

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2023, 04:06:58 PM
And can you list which states those are, off the top of your head?
The question was whether one can recognize the state given the flag, not the flag given the state. I can think of AR, CA, DE, FL, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MT, NE, NV, NH, ND, OK, OR, SD, VT, VA, WA, and WY off the top of my head.

If you're looking for information given on a flag, New Mexico had a treasure trove:

kphoger

Quote from: jlam on December 20, 2023, 04:20:10 PM
The question was whether one can recognize the state given the flag, not the flag given the state.

Oh, I guess I can see that.  Maybe I was just reading |TheHighwayMan394| wrong.  I interpreted the bolded part as meaning outsiders are already familiar with the design of the flag—not that they could tell what state a flag is from just by looking at it.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2023, 04:30:02 PM

Quote from: jlam on December 20, 2023, 04:20:10 PM
The question was whether one can recognize the state given the flag, not the flag given the state.

Oh, I guess I can see that.  Maybe I was just reading |TheHighwayMan394| wrong.  I interpreted the bolded part as meaning outsiders are already familiar with the design of the flag—not that they could tell what state a flag is from just by looking at it.

I took "recognize" in the original quote to be "agreeing which flag is official", not "remembering what something looked like".

Evan_Th

I don't really like the new flag; the colors appear too muted and the whole thing too geometric-paint-by-numbers.  Though that might just be my personal preference.

But it's far and away better than the old flag.

Genghixiani

The new flag is GORGEOUS compared to the old one, but I was hoping the tricolor would come with it!
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

boilerup25

The new flag is definitely an improvement over the old one! While I personally would have preferred the North Star Flag, I won't be deciding on which design Minnesotans should adopt (just as long as it's not a seal on a bedsheet!)

Genghixiani

Quote from: boilerup25 on December 20, 2023, 06:33:38 PM
The new flag is definitely an improvement over the old one! While I personally would have preferred the North Star Flag, I won't be deciding on which design Minnesotans should adopt (just as long as it's not a seal on a bedsheet!)

I massively agree!

jlam

The inverted chevron was my favorite of the final 3. The North-Star-over-field flag wouldn't fly very well (literally). Sure, it looks good on a screen, but not as much on a pole in front of the capitol.

The new flag is an improvement, but not Utah-level. Bring Back the Tricolor.

Genghixiani

Quote from: jlam on December 20, 2023, 06:41:08 PM
The inverted chevron was my favorite of the final 3. The North-Star-over-field flag wouldn't fly very well (literally). Sure, it looks good on a screen, but not as much on a pole in front of the capitol.

The new flag is an improvement, but not Utah-level. Bring Back the Tricolor.

Another point I massively agree with!

kphoger

Quote from: boilerup25 on December 20, 2023, 06:33:38 PM
(just as long as it's not a seal on a bedsheet!)

This video helped me appreciate the "seal on a bedsheet" design a lot more.  (I also highly recommend his videos in general.)

Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2023, 03:35:41 PM

Let's be honest, though.  What do state flags mean to locals either?  (Alaska, Texas, New Mexico excepted)  The reason so many state flags are just boring seals on squares is that state flags are unimportant.  Or am I missing something, and does Mississippi's new flag create a sense of state civic pride and unity among its residents that residents of New York do not have because of their seal-on-square flag?

What a flag means to locals kind of depends on how good the flag is, honestly.

Look at the Texas flag, for instance. It's fairly simple and doesn't look like any of the other state flags (it sort of looks like Chile's flag, but that's beside the point). You could draw a Texas flag from memory in a few seconds. That means lots of Texans display the state flag proudly, work its design into the designs of other things, etc. I'm about to go to the grocery store and I will see a few different products there that include the Texas flag to advertise that's where they were (at least nominally) made. The state welcome sign is just a drawing of the flag. If I want to instantly convey to the viewer "this thing is from/about Texas" I can throw a Lone Star flag on there and people will know instantly that it is Texas-related.

Nobody does that with the Kansas flag because the Kansas flag kind of sucks. It's the state seal—okay, that represents the state government—but it doesn't really work in the way the Texas flag does. If you wanted to convey "This thing is from Kansas", you'd probably put a sunflower on it instead. The image of a sunflower represents Kansas the same way Texas's flag represents Texas. You see something similar with city flags; the flag of Las Vegas is pretty terrible, so people use some road sign to symbolize the city instead.

Which is fine, I guess. But it shows that everyone wants a symbol to represent their home. If the flag doesn't do an adequate job, people will find something else—when then raises the question of why even bother to have a flag at all if it doesn't do a good job as a symbol?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Despite NY's flag being a seal on a bedsheet, I think Liberty stomping on the British Crown is a wonderful representation of the state.

Excelsior, indeed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

CGP Grey had some commentary on this.  I think my opinion matches his on this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFwwo0W5Ugg
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LilianaUwU

I prefer this proposal (yes, this was actually posted on the submissions website):

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jlam

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 20, 2023, 09:23:35 PM
I prefer this proposal (yes, this was actually posted on the submissions website):

Amazing! It accurately depicts Minnesota's vast agricultural industry as well as its curvy borders in its east. Its vertical proportion makes it destined to be hung on a horizontal pole, rather than a vertical one. The simplicity of the flag makes it recognizable from a distance and memorable. Why Minnesota didn't use this design baffles me.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 20, 2023, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2023, 03:35:41 PM

What a flag means to locals kind of depends on how good the flag is, honestly.

Look at the Texas flag, for instance.

Similar things can be said for the flag of Chicago, which flies practically everywhere, in no small part because it has a good design.

That said, to my eye, the flag of Chile more than "sort of looks like" the flag of Texas:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

mgk920

From what I understand, this was done (yea, like the Minnesota state legislature doesn't have any other more pressing issues to worry about) because the original state seal was deemed to be too 'un PC'.

:rolleyes:

Mike

Scott5114

From what I understand, this was done because Minnesotans didn't like the flag. Why they didn't like it is beside the point—they have a right to ask to have it changed if they don't feel it represents them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.